Butyrate, Higher Fat, Resistant Starch

Nicholas

Hello - i am endeavoring on raising my fat ratio as an experiment to see if it will help me to be more resistant and resilient against physical stress from my job. I already do the resistant starch thing - i can't eat potatoes unless they are cooked and cooled. If they've been cooled for 5 days, they noticeably can give me a big healthy feeling energy buzz with a good pulse and body temp - almost like the energy is specifically brain energy.

Question: does anyone else do the cooled potatoes and have you found it to be beneficial for your metabolism under your circumstances? also, does anyone find that a higher fat ratio (say 25%) in your diet is beneficial for your metabolism under your circumstances and how? How would you describe the main reason you eat/need fats?

marcar72

Nicholas said:
...also, does anyone find that a higher fat ratio (say 25%) in your diet is beneficial for your metabolism under your circumstances and how? How would you describe the main reason you eat/need fats?

I find I do real well with ample fats in my diet. I consume whole milk, chocolate, coconut products, ruminant fats, etc. and seems the more I eat the better off I am metabolically.

I'm pretty sure I utilize most of the saturated fats I eat in the production of hormones. The rest in basal metabolic functions I would assume as I'm surely not storing any away... :2cents

marcar72 said:
Nicholas said:
...also, does anyone find that a higher fat ratio (say 25%) in your diet is beneficial for your metabolism under your circumstances and how? How would you describe the main reason you eat/need fats?

I find I do real well with ample fats in my diet. I consume whole milk, chocolate, coconut products, ruminant fats, etc. and seems the more I eat the better off I am metabolically.

I'm pretty sure I utilize most of the saturated fats I eat in the production of hormones. The rest in basal metabolic functions I would assume as I'm surely not storing any away... :2cents

marcar,

I don't intend to sound rude, so don't take it that way, but you said this about 8 months ago:

"Ask him for more insight on what could be the cause of "high anxiety/panic attacks" quite a few of us members have been experiencing lately. Is it RT3 clearing, low serotonin, or maybe a B vitamin deficiency? A thorough answer from him covering all the possible causes in a checklist type answer would be awesome! :D"

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4565&start=15

I've dramatically improved all areas by keeping all fats low. If you still have panic attacks, you may want to try it. The reason I'm so passionate about low fat is because it's changed my life.

But I'm not trying to "convert" you, or play silly nutrition battle raps, I'm simply just sharing what has cured me of my panic attacks. Do I wish it wasn't true? Of course. I wish I could eat lots of ice cream, cheese, and chocolate, but I can't. The negative effects are too much. I get horrible blood sugar reactions from it that are just as bad as panic attacks.

But if you no longer have panic attacks, good for you.

Amazoniac

I've tried both ends and it didn't work optimally. Now, most of the fats I consume are saturated, some monounsat and just a fraction of polyunsat. I discovered by experimentation that this works best for me, later I knew why it worked after encountering Ray Peat.
It's definitely not high fat but some here would consider it high..

Regarding the starch, I regurlarly consume cooked and cooled, then a brief reheat. Since it's easy to overdo it, I just make sure to not eat in excess, and that applies to all fermentable carbs I consume. They seem more satiating than plain cooked starch.

Both of them improved my metabolism beyond what I could've imagined. I grew in a relatively low-fat culture and later tried to hardcore vlc paleo. In both of them I felt that there was somethings missing.
No one's questioning that you can live well on both extremes, low-fat you can get away with it easily, but it's not optimal. At least it wasn't for me.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Westside & Amazoniac & Marcar72 - if you could give the percents of all your macros that would be the most revealing.

Perhaps get off the starchy opium :lol: :smokingcrack

nikotrope

Wouldn't eating butter or a little bit of mct oil have the same benefits as resistant starches?

After experimenting with a lot of ratios these past few months I feel 40% carbs, 40% fat, 20% protein to be the most satiating and energising ratio for me. Too much carbs and I don't feel well (even with <10g of fat per day), too much fat and I don't feel well either (always hungry). Not enough protein and I get acid reflux (why?!).

marcar72

Westside PUFAs said:
marcar,

I don't intend to sound rude, so don't take it that way, but you said this about 8 months ago:

"Ask him for more insight on what could be the cause of "high anxiety/panic attacks" quite a few of us members have been experiencing lately. Is it RT3 clearing, low serotonin, or maybe a B vitamin deficiency? A thorough answer from him covering all the possible causes in a checklist type answer would be awesome! :D"

I've dramatically improved all areas by keeping all fats low...

I'm doing much better now that I moved residence. I don't think I'll ever know for sure what the deal was with my health back then. I think it was mostly living with environmental mold exposure (black mold) for a time there and my body running out of resources to keep it cleared from my body.

Fats could have had some secondary role in such a scenario since most mold toxins are fat soluble it seems.

Nicholas said:
Westside & Amazoniac & Marcar72 - if you could give the percents of all your macros that would be the most revealing.

I don't really track macros or calories but I'd say I'm probably around 50/20/30 or 50/25/25 carb/protein/fat ratio wise on most days... :2cents

Tom

Amazoniac said:
30-45/40-55/15
c/f/p
Most days at the middle range of carbs/fats.
Sometimes I do a protein fast. With or without compensating calories..

Are you following Paul Jaminets "Perfect health diet"?

According to http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/lowfat-diets/
60 years ago, typical fat intakes was:

- "normal" 35-40% (based on cookbook recipes)

- weight loss for obese 32E%

- reconvalescence from serious disease: 49-55%

I think the practice at the sanatoriums in Switzerland a hundred years ago was very high calorie and lots of fats. Thomas Mann´s novel "the magic mountain" describes such a sanatorium in Davos, Switzerland (high elevation) where the inmates had a rich diet and spent many hours daily outdoors in cold temperatures in beds, which I assume must have required a very high metabolism to generate the needed heat. Activity level was low.

Amazoniac

Tom said:
Amazoniac said:
30-45/40-55/15
c/f/p
Most days at the middle range of carbs/fats.
Sometimes I do a protein fast. With or without compensating calories..

Are you following Paul Jaminets "Perfect health diet"?

According to http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/lowfat-diets/
60 years ago, typical fat intakes was:

- "normal" 35-40% (based on cookbook recipes)

- weight loss for obese 32E%

- reconvalescence from serious disease: 49-55%

I think the practice at the sanatoriums in Switzerland a hundred years ago was very high calorie and lots of fats. Thomas Mann´s novel "the magic mountain" describes such a sanatorium in Davos, Switzerland (high elevation) where the inmates had a rich diet and spent many hours daily outdoors in cold temperatures in beds, which I assume must have required a very high metabolism to generate the needed heat. Activity level was low.

Yes.
I'm not sure about the consumption 60 years ago, where and how it was..
But the only deviation from the Perfect Health Diet is that I'm more diligent about PUFA intake. Their safe range is considerably higher compared to the recommendations by Ray Peat. Other than that, their are pretty similar, especially because Paul Jaminet borrowed most concepts from Ray.

Tom

Amazoniac said:
By the way, what was the cause of Mary Enig's death?

I think she had a stroke. But she was 82 years old. Sad, brilliant researcher.