Take Ray Peat To The Extreme

Mufasa

6. When going out to restaurants or whatever will only eat/drink coke or pepsi.

Well acquainted with this one.

apple juice for the win, high in fructose, works even better in my experience with going out and dance all night

Mufasa

my extreme, drinking 2/3 L of freshly pressed sweet organic orange juice a day

so tastyyyy

tara

Yeah i'd call that kind of stuff orthorexia. But many people seem to think that a person who's really strict about his diet is orthorexic, even if he is healthy as a horse.
If someone is fairly consistently meeting their nutritional needs and is in reasonably good health, I'm not go to say they have a problem with orthorexia.
I don't know many people around here on very restrictive diets like that, though.
[ETA:] Meaning where I am, not on the forum. Here on the forum it seems that there are some people who have worked out a way to build and maintain good health by picking a fairly small number of foods that work for them and meet their needs. Which is great.

Last edited:

Mufasa

Yeah i'd call that kind of stuff orthorexia. But many people seem to think that a person who's really strict about his diet is orthorexic, even if he is healthy as a horse.

I do think that letting loose sometimes is healthy and fun. Lowering serotonin? I think ray peat talked about that as well.

I do think that letting loose sometimes is healthy and fun. Lowering serotonin? I think ray peat talked about that as well.
Depends on the person. It's possible to be really damn strict while still being relaxed about the whole thing and not freak out about it.

Tenacity

It cost 10/15 euro a day. 300/450 a month. My salary had increased a lot more than that since improving my metabolism, so I see it as a good investment

Oh, not much more than me then. Converting from £ to euro I spend about 11 euro a day...

Depends on the person. It's possible to be really damn strict while still being relaxed about the whole thing and not freak out about it.

I think as long as you realise that eating something is better than eating nothing at all, and that the healthiest way to eat is 'as best as you can in your given context (economy/geography/etc.)', there's little that can go wrong with being strict...

jyb

my extreme, drinking 2/3 L of freshly pressed sweet organic orange juice a day

so tastyyyy

It used to be more of a norm on this forum back in the days. Would do that every morning, preparing a few L of fresh juice and filtering it to remove pulp. My bin would become very heavy at the end of the week and the delivery guy was always in awe of the quantities I ordered.

Mufasa

It used to be more of a norm on this forum back in the days. Would do that every morning, preparing a few L of fresh juice and filtering it to remove pulp. My bin would become very heavy at the end of the week and the delivery guy was always in awe of the quantities I ordered.

I am lucky with an organic shop where I can press the juice in the shop itself. Seems like a lot of work to do it yourself every day

Mufasa

Oh, not much more than me then. Converting from £ to euro I spend about 11 euro a day...

I think as long as you realise that eating something is better than eating nothing at all, and that the healthiest way to eat is 'as best as you can in your given context (economy/geography/etc.)', there's little that can go wrong with being strict...

11 euro in total? i meant just the orange juice cost me 10/15 euro

Luann

Extreme quantities of liver are not recommended by Peat, and are probably not pro-metabolic (may be anti-metabolic).

I don't know that it should be called a disease. But it seems pretty clear that some people harm their health seriously by extreme restrictive dieting causing malnutrition, based on believing that lots of foods are bad. That's what orthorexia means to me.

No doubt that this happens, tara. The question is, like you said, is it really a disease - or just people being really wrong about what is "good" and healthy? And going to great efforts to achieve health?

Extreme peating would require (1) a LOT of money and (2) an ultra low stress lifestyle. Many people have one or the other but having both is quite rare.

DaveFoster

Well acquainted with this one.

@encerent Your large doses of vitamin K2 and consumption of allergenic amino acids in large quantities is probably harmful in the long-run. That much gelatin is expensive to maintain.

You just need to ask yourself: How many people eat <40 g PUFA every day and live relatively disease-free lives until they hit their 50s and 60s. The answer: a LOT, probably the majority. This kind of optimization really pays off over the span of thirty or forty years, where the allergenicity should be kept to a minimum, and where nitric oxide, serotonin, and histamine should be minimized.

EIRE24

What are some "extreme" RP/Pro-metabolic things you do?

Me:

1. Bought MCT and bought hydrogenated coconut oil to replace my coconut oil and get rid of that little bit of PUFA/MUFA.
2. Sit under various red lights whenever I'm at home and awake so maybe ~4 hrs average.
3. Eat 1 lb of liver a week. (will go down to .5lbs now though)
4. 2+ grames of following amino acids/day: taurine, tyrosine, lysine, BBCA. And 60 grams of gelatin.
4. Tried almost all idealab sups (sticking with just a few now though, and probably not gonna use any of the "research" ones long term.)
5. 3 pounds of mushrooms a week.
7. 45-90 mg of vitamin K / day.
Yeeepee.

Have you noticed any positives from eating that many mushrooms a week?

nikolabeacon

You should type Perfection. Optimal health requires perfect balance not extremes..Because everything you do, like an individual will look weird in mass " society", or extract from peat writings is extreme compared to ordinary shoping basket, pyramid of foods and behaviour . And if someone is striving for" perfect health" than you need perfect food ..but also perfect environment. Lot of little things done well and balanced is perfection.

OP
encerent

encerent

@encerent Your large doses of vitamin K2 and consumption of allergenic amino acids in large quantities is probably harmful in the long-run. That much gelatin is expensive to maintain.

You just need to ask yourself: How many people eat <40 g PUFA every day and live relatively disease-free lives until they hit their 50s and 60s. The answer: a LOT, probably the majority. This kind of optimization really pays off over the span of thirty or forty years, where the allergenicity should be kept to a minimum, and where nitric oxide, serotonin, and histamine should be minimized.

Working down to 15 mg of K2. Gonna cut down to half the amount of free aminos too. Gelatin from great lakes is too damned expensive. I'm going to start buying beef tendon from the asian store here. It's pretty cheap. I can boil a ton of it ahead of time and have natural/cheap gelatin ready to eat throughout the week.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals