Normal To Have Out Of Control Appetite When New To Peat?

Cirion

My appetite seems to be out of control since starting. Today was my first day doing it. Today I had almost 5000 calories... and honestly I could probably eat a little more but I'm almost sated now lol.

238g protein
650g carbs (450g sugar, 50g fiber, 150g starch)
168g fat (88g saturated, 46g mufa, 8.4g pufa)... weird, math doesn't add up, lol, that's what cronometer told me though

I felt a craving for fat, as the carbs just weren't filling me up. You'll note my fat was pretty high as such... I'm having trouble justifying this in my head, as being sustainable, given that low fat is hyped around here... i still had most of my calories (% wise) from carbs though.

This guy here though Ray Peat Forums - What i have done to cure hypo and stay lean. swears by "high everything", high protein high carb high fat... and seems to work for him.

Am I just a fattie? Or was this my body's cry for some actual nutrition after a long time of either calorie/nutrient starvation? I really don't wanna get fat... but at the same time, I want to heal my metabolism...

I come from a fairly unhealthy relationship with food, always neurotic about macros and never able to get a diet that works for me mood/libido/energy wise, having tried just about every diet under the sun before this, and having constant problems with fatigue and sexdrive etc...

Foods I ate:

OJ (2 cup)
Grapes (3 lbs of them.... lol)
Apple (x9)
2 lb of mozz cheese
1 lb grass fed beef
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 scoop whey protein
100g carbs from carb powder

Last edited:

DavidGardner

Yes, this is normal. I would just back off of the fat a bit and not worry about the carbs so much initially. Even your protein sounds kinda high, unless you have a lot of muscle mass. I don't know what carb powder you're using but try switching from that to real food like rice or potatoes, you'll find it more satisfying.

lampofred

I had this at first, it might be that your liver is unable to store a lot of glycogen and you're wasting a lot of glucose from excess glycolysis due to a high estrogen/progesterone ratio. Lots of caffeine, thyroid, and animal protein will make things steadier as your body heals.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yes, this is normal. I would just back off of the fat a bit and not worry about the carbs so much initially. Even your protein sounds kinda high, unless you have a lot of muscle mass. I don't know what carb powder you're using but try switching from that to real food like rice or potatoes, you'll find it more satisfying.

I have a moderate amount of muscle mass. Nothing insanely impressive, but no newbie to the gym either. I'm 200 lb, 6'0''. I weighed around 160 lb before I started lifting. Around the same body fat as when I started lifting, so probably 30-40 lb of muscle gained since then. I'm not worried about the carbs really at all. My problem was just that the carbs weren't satisfying me and it was driving me crazy lol. I guess then, just keep pounding carbs all day long, no matter how many it takes? Even if it ends up in the 1000's of grams?? Lol

I had this at first, it might be that your liver is unable to store a lot of glycogen and you're wasting a lot of glucose from excess glycolysis due to a high estrogen/progesterone ratio. Lots of caffeine, thyroid, and animal protein will make things steadier as your body heals.

Oh I'm sure this is happening. My body is not very glucose efficient. I also always wake up with low glucose, I now think it's not a matter of not enough sleep (I get 12 hr of sleep many days now) but holding the glucose.

So quick back story, i lost about 45lbs in 4 months doing a zero fat diet. i basically cleared pufa from my tissues and almost overnight raised metabolism. after that i found Edwards blog and also read Westin Price book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (a must read btw) and started an experiment of utilizing saturated fat as a main source of energy. did that for a few months and liked it, gaining mass without fat gain. but i did a few things wrong that i now see, mainly using too much coffee and chocolate, i am a slow metabolizer of stimulants. after that i did another quick attempt at zero fat but i didnt enjoy it nearly as much, i dont feel it is an optimal diet at least for a lean person of northern european descent.

This is a quote from the link I gave earlier. It seems like the trick for me is going to be something similar. I need to do PUFA depletion, and fast. It seems you can hack your PUFA depletion to be very fast, simply by losing body fat faster, and it seems to do that, you must go very low fat / basically zero fat, according to this guy. He said that he didn't do well incorporating fat back into his diet until AFTER pufa depletion (makes sense, no more bad FFA's floating around at this point, and if you eat high fat, you can't burn them as readily to get rid of them). Otherwise, PUFA depletion apparently takes as long as years, since PUFA has a half life of like 500 days and I'm gonna be honest, I don't have that kinda patience, lol. But if you can just directly burn it from your bodyfat stores, then you can bypass the half life problem. Of course, with that much PUFA in your bloodstream from constantly burning them, that might be 4 months of feeling horrible, so supplementing Vitamin E and whatnot might not be the worst idea. That's why this diet is hard for me to do mentally, as it's not easy, and probably why most people write off as garbage and and a waste of time and go back to their silly low carb diets. Keto has an adaptation period as well, but only a week or two at the most, so people tend to gravitate towards whatever feels better in the short period of time. Anyway, I digress!

I think everyone is fatter than they think they are. I know I have quite a lot of fat around the abdominal region in particular I need to shed. I'm nowhere near shredded abs. I think you probably need to go zero / VLF like this guy until your abs are popping out before attempting to eat fat again. And when you do, it sounds like the consensus is most of it should be Saturated fats like coconut oil, red meat fats, cheese fats, etc...

My question though is, if I wanted to go essentially zero fat, how can I do this while getting my proteins? Cheese and milk, two of the Peat staples, have fat in them. Even 2% milk. I suppose I can drink Skim milk? I have heard some people around here saying Skim milk is bad though. I suppose that I can go for Lean Meats (which Ray is mostly not a fan of) and supplement with plenty of Gelatin to offset the issues with most meats then?

As a side note, woke up at midnight horny as f*** lol. Way more than usual. Still disappointed with my morning horniness levels though. Probably once again, due to my problem of holding glucose for a long time. I'm determined to see this through though and give it an honest effort.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals