[Stopped working] Anyone notice this with Cascarra Sagrada?

Bones

I notice that it's effect wears off. The first time I took only one, it was noticeable then that effect diminished, then 2, then 3. Now the thing is the size of the bm is the same if I don't take it and use a carrot or sometimes with no carrot it's the same size so I thought this was interesting. In other words when I take CS, I have to take more to achieve the same effect as when I took it in the beginning or it's the same as not taking any.

nwo2012

Re: Anyone notice this with Cascarra Sagrada?

Bones said:
I notice that it's effect wears off. The first time I took only one, it was noticeable then that effect diminished, then 2, then 3. Now the thing is the size of the bm is the same if I don't take it and use a carrot or sometimes with no carrot it's the same size so I thought this was interesting. In other words when I take CS, I have to take more to achieve the same effect as when I took it in the beginning or it's the same as not taking any.

What brand are you using and what is the capsule dosage?

OP
B

Bones

Natures's way. Each capsule has 425 MG

pete

Nature's Way Cascara Sagrada Aged Bark

Do not take for more than 1 week as frequent or prolonged use may result in dependence.

Birdie

I haven't noticed it in that way. I started out with 1 capsule. I increased to 2 caps after about 10 days. This has been my dose for several months, taken at bedtime. I eat the carrot in mid afternoon.
I get good results but I am also taking the charcoal* for the emodium effect as Ray's pointed out research showing it helps prevent cancer.

I have a history, since childhood, of bouts of constipation. No problem now.

If I feel things might not be moving along, I take another cascara on awakening. Maybe once a week.

I also take occasional charcoal with my carrot salad. Charcoal can be binding but with the carrot, no problem here.

I use NOW 450mg.

*Mistake: That's the cascara with the emodin, not the charcoal.

Ray-Z

Bones: I am also using Nature's Way cascara sagrada -- two 425 mg capsules every evening. The beneficial effects have worn off for me, too.

Birdie

I've temporarily stopped the afternoon carrot. Suddenly it's unappetizing so stopped for now.

Ray-Z said:
Bones: I am also using Nature's Way cascara sagrada -- two 425 mg capsules every evening. The beneficial effects have worn off for me, too.

You will still be getting the cancer prevention benefit but I wonder why it stopped working otherwise for you!

I'm still using 2 cascaras at bedtime and one on awakening. It's been about 5 months now I guess... Working great. I also eat a lot of fruit and practically no starches, so that can play into it also.

Ray-Z

Birdie said:
You will still be getting the cancer prevention benefit but I wonder why it stopped working otherwise for you!

You're right, Birdie; thanks for correcting me. I should have said that the stool-softening benefits wore off.

nwo2012

I just got the real deal today, Farmalabor Cascara sagrada (thanks Peatarian). Took a little with my last meal, tastes like crap but Ive tasted worse over the years!

pete

Are the effects any different than other brands?

Ray-Z

Reading Birdie's regimen (two capsules at bedtime and one upon awakening) inspired me to raise my dose. For the last few days, I've been taking two cascara capsules at night and one around noon. Results: Constipation completely gone -- a relatively rare occurrence for me. :partydance

Thank you, Birdie!

Birdie

You're welcome! That's great news to hear.

Stunning4keke

i just ordered the cascara sagrada bark powder and wondering how i will take it--in water, in a tea? hot, cold?
and how much i should start with and how much per week?

healthnatura

Anyone notice this with Cascarra Sagrada?

You can build up a tolerance to any stimulant including cascara. If you are taking high enough doses expressly to simulate your bowl movements building up a tolerance is nearly inevitable in most people. There are a few that never develop tolerance but this is the exception, not the norm. I'm not a Ray Peat expert, but my suggestion is if you need to improve your bowel movements cascara should only be a part of a more comprehensive bowel program. You can look up my suggestions about Cascara under merchants > Health Natura > Cascara.

bornamachine

Many moons ago I dabbled with cascara, worked like a charm then effect was gone as well.

mlc2010

bingo, worked like a charm for me, stopped working

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals