Why Does Cascara Sagrada & Magnesium Irritate My Butthole?

Giraffe

Derek said:
post 112383
Giraffe said:
post 112379
Derek said:
post 112227
Giraffe said:
post 112223
Derek said:
post 112169 Could of been a calcium:magnesium imbalance, which is why milk helped. Mg:Ca should be 1:1.
Is this a typo?

[highlight=yellow]I think the ratio of Calcium:Magnesium should be 1:1, or 2:1 at the very least.[/highlight]
I agree that magnesium is important, especially for hypothyroid people, but I think that your ratio is wrong and unrealistic.

Without adequate calcium, magnesium, protein and some of the fat-soluble vitamins the PTH will rise.

[highlight=yellow]Most foods with a ratio Ca:Mg = 2 or lower are high in phosphorus.[/highlight] Minimum requirements for protein are 1 g/kg bodyweight.

If I tried to get your Ca:Mg ratio from food it would be at the cost of too high phosphorus and/or inadequate protein and/or inadequate calcium. To supplement that much magnesium is tricky too. Too much supplemental magnesium triggers diarrhea, let alone other issues with oral magnesium supplementation discussed already.

My ratio is only unrealistic if you consume massive amounts of dairy or supplement calcium/eggshell. If you consume normal amounts of calcium, say 1g daily; then it's very easy to achieve a 1:1 or 2:1 of Ca:Mg. Why do you feel magnesium is especially important for hypothyroid people? If you can't retain it, then the amount of magnesium you consume/supplement really doesn't matter much.

PTH is complex. It isn't a matter of just take this or take that. I've seen people's PTH increase via blood work after implementing a high calcium/dairy diet. They should of been getting enough calcium, protein, fat solubles, etc... So why didn't PTH decrease? It actually increased in many cases, or at best; stayed the same.

I'm sorry it's that difficult for you to achieve this ratio via your diet. Maybe you're diet is too restrictive. Or like I said you're just consuming too much calcium. There are people here consuming 3-4g of Calcium daily, obviously you can never get that amount of magnesium; so my advice is to lower calcium to get a better ratio. I am able to get at least a 2:1 ratio fairly easily, without supplementation.
So what about your Ca : Ph ratio? I'd like to see an exemplary day of your diet including all macros and micros.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

In my experience, the health natura cascara does that exact graphic description as you pointed out.
But eventually, I feel better after using it for a while.
Recently I tried some cascara from an Italian source who claims that it is as good as farmalabor's.
It's different. I get the same relief without the pain.
It also doesn't taste as bitter.
I'm also getting some rectal pain from Cascara; what brand do you use that's superior?

XPlus

I'm also getting some rectal pain from Cascara; what brand do you use that's superior?
According to @Such_Saturation what I got is an extract from the bark but not the bark itself.
I don't know where on earth Italian pharmacists get the idea that foreigners want the extract when asking for cascara.
Anyway, I'm back to using Health Natura's. It doesn't feel and taste as awful now. I guess either I have reduced my inflammation enough not to feel much pain or the powder got the time to age properly. It's been with me for over a year now.

Last edited:
O

oldfriend

I have symptoms similar to the OP's, i.e. chronic fissures and inflammation of the rectum. I've had it for years, and managed it intuitively through a high-fiber diet. This, of course, did not treat the cause, only the symptom. While I know the pain associated with fissures, and rectal inflammation is bad, I think it's worse to have or to want to induce chronic constipation. I'm still working out the cause of my personal digestive issues but have tried a few things that provided relief. What I understand is that when the tissue around the rectum is strained, stretched, or torn it becomes inflamed. If inflammation is chronic the affected tissue loses it's elasticity, and can eventually lead to the formation of scar tissue. I've tried using ozonoated olive oil during acute episodes with some success. It may be worth trying vitamin E suppositories as a more long-term treatment. Sounds gross, but I found a thread on this topic and it shows promise. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to start this week.

moriwatzi

@cout12 I'm certain cascara and magnesium lower your cortisol too much.

You can try taking something like Phenibut or higher doses of Aspirin or higher doses of Niacinamide and you will notice the exact same thing happening.

You can also try rubbing three, for cm of 1% hydrocortisone cream on your inner arms and find the symptoms disappear. Alternatively you can try using some pregnenolone orally, but dont go over 20mg to be on safe side of ACTH suppression which would end up giving you even less cortisol.

O

oldfriend

My cortisol is high from chronic inflammation, and hydrocortisone cream transforms me into an ill-tempered hulk wannabe. I would personally not recommend it for fissures or rectal pain until you've tried a few other things first

moriwatzi

My cortisol is high from chronic inflammation, and hydrocortisone cream transforms me into an ill-tempered hulk wannabe. I would personally not recommend it for fissures or rectal pain until you've tried a few other things first

Yeah if you're high cortisol it's not for you, but @cout12 has had trouble using even small amounts of t3, which fits the picture. What effects does DHEA have on you?

moa

RP cautioned that commercial oral magnesium supplement can cause Hemorrhoids.
He recommends epsom salt bath and natural magnesium from leafy green vegetable broth.
I use vegetable fruit broth for magnesium and potassium.

this is old post but.

I get bleeding hemorrhoids, and i think it's from increased toxic bile flow.

the main stimulant is coffee, but magnesium also stimulates bile flow.

I wonder if this is caused by toxic bile and not magnesium itself ?

Kyle970

@moa Lots of things bind bile, some frowned on here. Psyllium, beans, oats. I'm well past any benefits from cascara lately, it takes days for me to recover from the irratation from it. Same goes for all powder magnesium supplements, don't use those anymore either. Seems like in one of Ray's articles- when things are highly inflamed to try an alternate than trying to stimulate.

moa

@Kyle970 thanks for aduce, I'm interested in beans. artichokes do work but expensive. I'm more cautious about oats or psyllium, not sure this kind of fiber is the best.

cascara and lapatcho works for me, it really relax and calm down my gut and don't cause irritation if taken only once or twice moderate quantity.

i stopped taking those, including coffee, and bleeding and pain went away quickly.

Waynish

Irritate or is it an itch? I would try anti-parasitic drugs for a couple weeks. But you need to have 2x BM / day - at least get it to 1 before you start the flush.

Kyle970

@moa nice. I use Pau d'arco also, seems to clear my thinking a bit sometimes.
I'm not a bean protocol person but in the Karen lady's interview/pods she talked about curing her poisoned child, with beans. Stating beans absorbed poison in toxic bile. I just thought it was an interesting story at least, possibly something look into. I didn't notice anything from beans good or bad, but my situation probably needs a much different approach.

moa

it's swollen tissue, both visible, like anal, and inside it feels swollen cause it makes strange noises. it is also very itchy if i don't use water after toilet. it also has more bile than usual (sticky, yellow/brown, darker than usual stools). when i feel better in the anal region, my stools are more pale, even too pale. I need to detox liver, purge toxic bile out.

cascara helps 100% no doubt when i have a crisis, maybe lapatcho too but i know about it only recently and i don't have that much experience with it.

Frankdee20

Come on .... Cascara is an herbal laxative and magnesium is an osmotic agent that moves water into the bowel and increases movements. Too much is not good to begin with. End of discussion.

moa

i agree, in the beginning i took too much cascara and it does create a burning sensation inside the colon, after 3 or 4 days. It's horrible so i needed to do an enema.

i figured out that only one or two days is enaught, moderate amount, less than what is used as laxative.

regarding the laxative side, i didn't noticed any excessive loose stools or diarrhea with cascara (even the days i took huge amounts with burning sensation) but i did with magnesium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals