Nausea from Vitamin E

Ben

I noticed that when I took maybe a tsp of pure vitamin E mixed in a little chocolate, that I would sometimes get extremely nauseous. Sometimes the effect is delayed by as much as an hour, which is strange.

When pure vitamin E is applied, it is sticky and leaves a sticky residue on the skin and in the mouth that is difficult to wash off. I think that may be why vitamin E is causing nausea, and why it's effect is delayed.

But I since I did mix it with chocolate, the oils from the chocolate should dissolve the vitamin E completely. Maybe it should be taken when there is cheese or another fatty food in the stomach?

Or the stomach should ideally not contain liquids at the same time to allow the vitamin E to be absorbed and not coat the intestines? I didn't always have nausea from vitamin E so I wonder why I get it sometimes and sometimes I don't. Anyone have the same issue with vitamin E?

tara

Viscosity of E could probably explain nausea. Unless you mixed with a LOT of chocolate, maybe it was still a bit viscous?
That sounds like a lot of vit E in one dose to me.

OP
B

Ben

The mixtures were vicious. Maybe you're right that viscosity can result in nausea. I do know that when I mix a lot of gelatin with juice and drink it, I get irritable and my stomach is a bit distressed. But how can people eat stuff like syrups, condiments, etc without an issue if that's the issue with vitamin E? And heck, even chocolate itself is viscious and I never had any issue with it. Hm.

tara

My guess is a viscous oil is much harder for the stomach to dissolve and absorb than a viscous sugar syrup in an environment that is much more water than fat. I have had slight irritation from progest-e on an empty stomach, which I assume is a similar effect. Easily solved by not having an empty stomach.
But I can find straight honey, golden syrup etc a bit irritating sometimes, too.