Soybean Isoflavone Exposure: Effect On Testosteron And DHT Levels?

mujuro

Forum Supporter
That's funny. A very close friend of mine actually developed gynecomastia symptoms (itchy, sore, sensitive nipples) from taking high doses of an "isoflavone" supplement.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

barbwirehouse

mujuro said:
That's funny. A very close friend of mine actually developed gynecomastia symptoms (itchy, sore, sensitive nipples) from taking high doses of an "isoflavone" supplement.

Taking phytoestrogen (isoflavone) supplements definitively can be feminizing. I don't think even the soybean industry denies that.

Messina said:
omega-3 fatty acid intake
can favorably affect sperm and semen parameters, whereas diets
high in omega-6 fatty acids can have the opposite effect (148)

Conclusions: Infertile men had lower concentrations of omega-3 FAs in spermatozoa than fertile men.
These results suggest that research should be performed to assess the potential benefits of omega-3 FA
supplementation as a therapeutic approach in infertile men with idiopathic OAT.

Wow great logic!

Fetch

About ten years ago I had a male roommate who started lactating because we ate so many soy products. We lived in Eugene Oregon and could get tons of free tofu and tempe from Surata soy foods. It wasn't a lot (like a drop) but he could consistently get milk from his nipples for about a month. He was very skinny and was defiantly not on any hormones. He said his nipples where sore and puffy and when he was inspecting them in the mirror milk came out we didn't know anything about estrogen or soy at the time he looked it up and found out it was probably the soy. He stopped eating it and it went away. but he had a gross party trick for awhile.

OP
B

barbwirehouse

Such_Saturation said:
Messina said:
omega-3 fatty acid intake
can favorably affect sperm and semen parameters, whereas diets
high in omega-6 fatty acids can have the opposite effect (148)

Conclusions: Infertile men had lower concentrations of omega-3 FAs in spermatozoa than fertile men.
These results suggest that research should be performed to assess the potential benefits of omega-3 FA
supplementation as a therapeutic approach in infertile men with idiopathic OAT.

Wow great logic!

Haha wow! How this ***t actually gets published is beyond me. :lol:

Also

M.M. regularly consults for companies that manufacture and/or sell soyfoods and/or isoflavone supplements, and he is the executive director of the Soy Nutrition Institute, a science-based organization that is funded in part by the soy industry and the United Soybean Board.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Vegans LOVE to cite this study all the time saying "see? see? this "totally unbiased" study proves that soy isn't feminizing or estrogenic!"

Fetch said:
About ten years ago I had a male roommate who started lactating because we ate so many soy products. We lived in Eugene Oregon and could get tons of free tofu and tempe from Surata soy foods. It wasn't a lot (like a drop) but he could consistently get milk from his nipples for about a month. He was very skinny and was defiantly not on any hormones. He said his nipples where sore and puffy and when he was inspecting them in the mirror milk came out we didn't know anything about estrogen or soy at the time he looked it up and found out it was probably the soy. He stopped eating it and it went away. but he had a gross party trick for awhile.

:shock: Holy ***t. Did he drink like 5 liters of soy milk a day or something? That's ******* crazy.

Fetch

I have no idea how much he was eating but it was mostly tofu and tempe. I am sure he was drinking soy milk also plus drinking lots of alcohol. But when the soy went away the alcohol didn't and the lactation did. It was our main source of protein at the time because it was free and plentiful. We would get 5 gallon buckets for free multiple times a week. I would just eat it straight out of the bucket with some soy sauce or whatever as a snack. Out of about 8 people including 5 women living of the stuff. He was the only one who lactated.

Fetch said:
But when the soy went away the alcohol didn't and the lactation did. Out of about 8 people including 5 women living of the stuff. He was the only one who lactated.

It's starting to look like an observational study :mrgreen:

aguilaroja

barbwirehouse said:

Re.: Soy protein isolates of varying isoflavone content do not adversely affect semen quality in healthy young men. - PubMed - NCBI

J Urol. 2011 May;185(5):1840-1. doi: 10.1016/S0022-5347(11)60215-2.
Re: soy protein isolates of varying isoflavone content do not adversely affect semen quality in healthy young men.
Niederberger C.

"If these compounds have an estrogenic effect, it is worth asking if they alter male fertility. These authors compared semen changes during an approximate 2-month interval for subjects ingesting low and high isoflavone soy protein isolate....

So when I see that sperm motility in the controls increased from 57.3% to 60.5% during the study interval, but decreased from 62.1% to 55.1% in the group ingesting the low isoflavone supplement and decreased from 63.5% to 55.3% in the group ingesting the high isoflavone supplement, I have to wonder if a larger number of subjects would reveal a statistically significant decrease. As a result, this article does not argue persuasively that isoflavones are safe for sperm."

Hypogonadism and erectile dysfunction associated with soy product consumption. - PubMed - NCBI

Nutrition. 2011 Jul-Aug;27(7-8):859-62. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2010.10.018. Epub 2011 Feb 25.
Hypogonadism and erectile dysfunction associated with soy product consumption.
Siepmann T1, Roofeh J, Kiefer FW, Edelson DG.

"...a 19-y-old type 1 diabetic but otherwise healthy man with sudden onset of loss of libido and erectile dysfunction after the ingestion of large quantities of soy-based products in a vegan-style diet..... Blood concentrations of free and total testosterone were initially decreased, whereas DHEA was increased. These parameters normalized within 1 y after cessation of the vegan diet. Normalization of testosterone and DHEA levels was paralleled by a constant improvement of symptoms; full sexual function was regained 1 y after cessation of the vegan diet. This case indicates that soy product consumption is related to hypogonadism and erectile dysfunction."

Giraffe

Isoflavone supplements stimulated the production of serum equol and decreased the serum dihydrotestosterone levels in healthy male volunteers

"This study revealed that short-term administration of soy isoflavones to Japanese healthy volunteers increased the SHBG level, and decreased the free testosterone and DHT levels. Moreover, equol was detected in the serum of two healthy volunteers among the equol non-producers group."

The men had been supplemented with 60 mg isoflavone for three months. This intake is realistic if people eat soy products daily. (See this post.)

After one month of supplementation the mean serum levels of DHT had decreased from 0.96 ng/ml to 0.78 ng/ml. According to another study I have seen, equol antagonizes DHT's action by binding to it. It looks like equol has been patented for "the treatment and prevention of [suppesedly] androgen-mediated pathologies."

Patent US8153684 - Use of equol for treating androgen mediated diseases

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals