Soy on testosterone: Does consuming soy make you a soy boy?

Hans

Forum Supporter

In summary
Soy doesn't seem to lower testosterone in the short term (3 months). Also, it's not the isoflavone content that seems to be responsible for the negative effect.

However, long-term consumption (>4 months) of even 1 scoop of soy protein can start to lower testosterone and DHT. It can also cause side effects such as poor mood, ED, gyno, low libido and tanked androgens. This is especially true for how much and for how long someone consumes it.

After stopping, things can resolve on their own, but it can take up to 1 year.

If you have soy every now and again (such as soy sauce with your sushi once or twice a week), you should be fine.

lvysaur

Good writeup and it's what I expected. I never got estrogenic symptoms from occasional tofu/miso/soy sauce

But I remember accounts of men who started lactating on soymilk

ALS

Soy sauce is fermented, apparently safer.

When I lived in Japan (about a decade) , the males seemed more effeminate, but it's hard to say if that's due to diet.

Soy consumption had been lauded by the soy industry as the reason that J women weren't afflicted with breast cancer. They overlooked the fact that hormonal birth control was not legal or available in Japan.

It was available in Hong Kong, in fact birth control pills were being sold OTC at Watson's there in the late 80's. -
I hadn't noticed a heavy consumption of soy in Japan, outside of soy sauce. The women eat ravenously in private. I lived in a mixed dorm there, and they could really put food away. They never eat like that in public.

I would assume the reason they don't have major weight issues is because they haven't wrecked their metabolism with dieting. The salt intake is fairly high as well, which is probably another factor.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey bro, apparently soy significantly suppresses Androgen Receptor expression, which obviously would inhibit the effects of androgens.

Soy Protein suppresses Androgen Receptor
Yes, but that study is in prostate cells only and the decrease was small (1.37 to 1.26). I'd like to see AR expression in other tissue as well and how this actually compares to men without prostate cancer. It's likely a good idea not to supplement soy protein in general though. :)

geusterman

I have a little story for you all. Over 20 years ago (50 years old) I was hooked on lattes and very involved in building a business and found out I was lactose intolerant. I didn’t realize it was from homogenized/ pasteurize milk at the time so I switched to soy milk lattes. I drank 60 ounces of soy milk lattes a day for more than a year.
Fortunately, I asked for a PSA test a couple of times and found out it elevated between tests and after a perineum biopsy I had a Gleason score of six for prostate cancer. There’s no history in my family, which is very large, of prostate cancer. I was put on antiandrogen drugs. All I knew at the time is allopathic medicine, although I was a fitness professional and health club owner. Had radical prostatectomy, no screwing around.
A “nutritionist”, sitting next to me on a flight, said that the soy milk caused an increase in estrogen and a reduction in testosterone which caused the growth of prostate cancer. Looking back I believe that was a divine appointment.
It’s also occurred to me now that it is the lack of testosterone or a poor testosterone/estrogen ratio, that is the precursor to prostate cancer. Why do so many older men have prostate cancer and low testosterone? I also understand that more people in medicine are coming to that same conclusion.
A sidenote for your friends with prostate cancer is to recommend www.mycancerstory.rocks blog, best viewed with a PC, and learn about Fenbendazole, highly effective on prostate cancer. We have seen a lot of success in my circle. Then get them on testosterone!
Anybody else have some thoughts in this arena?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals