Root Veggie Recipes/Inspiration

Nicholas

hello - curious how others prepare their potatoes/turnips/parsnips/beets/etc? Getting bored with my methods and looking for inspiration. Could even be simply sharing a specific cooking method - doesn't have to be fancy. Thanks.

Jenn

My blogs has all the various ways I have cooked potatoes. I don't eat turnips or parsnips (don't have a good source.) Beet I use my pressure cooker for about 10-15 minutes depending on the size. I let them cool, slip the skins off and slice and soak in ACV. Or can be served with blanched onions. Or borscht.

tara

Potatoes:
Baked.
Roasted in dish with roasting meat (this is the traditional way to eat parsnips round here, and pumpkin, yams, and spuds go well too)
Sliced and baked in coconut oil - a tablespoon or two of oil in dish, turn half time to get oil coating all sides.
Peeled, boiled in pieces, add a little butter.
Include in stews with gelatinous cuts of meat and other veges.
Au gratin. Sliced, layered in dish with thinly sliced onion, mostly covered in milk, baked, melt a layer of cheese on top when nearly cooked (this one I don't cook now because the cheese adn milk don't agree with me, but I used to really like it). I think you can do variants of this with a mixture of spuds, parsnips, turnips.
Hash browns (I haven't got a good/working recipe for this yet - they're not working out the way I want.
Slice, part-cook in a little water, then saute with other veges - onions, yams, mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes ...

Mashed with milk and optional butter.
Left-over mashed potato:
Mixed with egg and fried or baked as patties. Can add other stuff for more flavour.
Add a little mashed potato to thicken soup.
Fish pie, fish patties.
Shepherds pie.

Only way I like beets is grated raw with carrot and preferably apple.

Dayman

Roasted beets with feta cheese is tops.
I like having the combination with steak.

goodandevil

80s tallow mcdonald's fries:

2 tbs salt per 8 cups water, 3 tbs vinegar, any kind, hot water bath/ light blanch until fries break when bent. Let dry in oven at low temp on broiler tray (or rack, &etc). Parfry high temp until fries bubble to establish texture, approx 1.5 mins. Drain fries, let sit until room temp, 20 mins. May be stored / frozen at this point. Final fry, not too hot, until golden and floating. Heavily salt.

goodandevil

tara said:
post 111947 Potatoes:
Baked.
Roasted in dish with roasting meat (this is the traditional way to eat parsnips round here, and pumpkin, yams, and spuds go well too)
Sliced and baked in coconut oil - a tablespoon or two of oil in dish, turn half tie to get oil coating all sides.
Pealed, boiled in pieces, add a little butter.
Include in stews with gelatinous cuts of meat and other veges.
Au gratin. Sliced, layered in dish with thinly sliced onion, mostly covered in milk, baked, melt a layer of cheese on top when nearly cooked (this one I don't cook now because the cheese adn milk don't agree with me, but I used to really like it). I think you can do variants of this with a mixture of spuds, parsnips, turnips.
Hash browns (I haven't got a good/working recipe for this yet - they're not working out the way I want.
Slice, part-cook in a little water, then saute with other veges - onions, yams, mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes ...

Mashed with milk and optional butter.
Left-over mashed potato:
Mixed with egg and fried or baked as patties. Can add other stuff for more flavour.
Add a little mashed potato to thicken soup.
Fish pie, fish patties.
Shepherds pie.

Only way I like beets is grated raw with carrot and preferably apple.

Shepard's pie sounds really good

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals