Riboflavin removes Lipofuscin + a somewhat irresponsible experiment.

Jamsey

I was reading old posts about lipofuscin and came across this post by haidut.

This study demonstrates that riboflavin prevents the build-up of lipofuscin, but didn’t answer the question of whether riboflavin removes existing lipofuscin. So I went searching and found this study demonstrating that riboflavin removes existing lipofuscin.

“Here we show that substitution with the radical generator riboflavin, which is naturally present in phagosomes 4and melanosomes, can remove lipofuscin from the RPE.”
RPE = retinal pigment epithelium

Now onto the somewhat irresponsible experiment:

So for the past few weeks, I have been taking fairly large amounts of riboflavin(I would guess some where between 400-1200 mg per day with a few off days here and there). I was taking it for various reasons, but mainly because I enjoyed the feeling of relaxed energy that it gave me. However, I went to give blood earlier today and was surprised when they told me that I had a hemoglobin level of 18.1 g/dL. Considering the normal range for men is 13.8 to 17.2 grams per deciliter and that my hemoglobin was 15.1 during my last blood donation in December, I found this somewhat odd. I am in good health and have had no symptoms to suggest the usual web md diagnoses(cancer, heart failure, cops). I had been eating a fairly low iron diet, with most calories coming from diary and orange juice, so I thought that my supplementation of riboflavin had something to do with it. I found this study that seems to confirm or at least suggest that:

“The mobilization of iron from the intracellular protein ferritin is a reducing process. Reduced flavins can evidently reduce and thereby mobilize ferritin iron in a variety of tissues, at a rate that is physiologically relevant (85, 86). We and others have shown that tissues from rats fed riboflavin-deficient diets are less effi- cient at mobilizing ferritin iron than are tissues from control ani- mals (87–89)”

“There has been a single attempt to show an effect of riboflavin status on iron absorption in humans by using a stable isotope of iron (58Fe) (97). In that study, there was large variability in iron absorption between subjects, and we could find no measurable effect on iron absorption. However, the study did show an effect of riboflavin supplements on the con- centration of circulating hemoglobin, suggesting that improving riboflavin status had an effect on iron absorption or iron mobi- lization from existing stores.”

Taking this into account, I believe the riboflavin supplementation was increasing mobilization from my existing iron stores and increasing my hemoglobin.

I could be wrong. Take it however you want. But I thought it was interesting and something for others to consider if they choose to supplement riboflavin.

Last edited:
That’s awesome, good to hear that your hemoglobin went up! Did you notice a fading of any lipofuscin? Also was there any change in your energy levels since taking the B2 and changing your diet

OP
J

Jamsey

That’s awesome, good to hear that your hemoglobin went up! Did you notice a fading of any lipofuscin? Also was there any change in your energy levels since taking the B2 and changing your diet
I unfortunately don’t have any noticeable lipofuscin/age spots to look at for effects. The diet hasn’t particularly changed in years, with general focus on dairy and juice consistent throughout. I did notice increased energy levels with b2, but with a greater sense of flow and relaxation when compared with an energy increase from stimulants like caffeine. The hemoglobin going up was quite unexpected and not something I was striving for, but I might try to retest the b2-hemoglobin connection in the future with a tighter controlled trial. As for now, I’m going to take a slight break just in case.

:M :B.

Good to hear B2 worked for you. I know Ray mentioned it being risky to take and I found out why last year. I took it and got a huge allergic reaction. At that time I wasn't putting two and two together so I couple days later I took more and had the same reaction. Finally later on I looked back and realized it was the B2.

I mixed it in some water and chugged it down. I thought my source was pretty good. The dose was probably 200mg or so.
@Jamsey how did you take the B2? powder, capsule?

I'm curious if I could change the way I take it and see what happens. My internal environment is much better now and maybe that would help out.

:M :B.

I'm thinking mixing it in a milk n cream milk shake might help it not irritate my stomach. My bad reaction was straight to the nose and naval cavity region. sucked.

Did you have any irritation from it?

Motorneuron

I was reading old posts about lipofuscin and came across this post by haidut.

This study demonstrates that riboflavin prevents the build-up of lipofuscin, but didn’t answer the question of whether riboflavin removes existing lipofuscin. So I went searching and found this study demonstrating that riboflavin removes existing lipofuscin.

“Here we show that substitution with the radical generator riboflavin, which is naturally present in phagosomes 4and melanosomes, can remove lipofuscin from the RPE.”
RPE = retinal pigment epithelium

Now onto the somewhat irresponsible experiment:

So for the past few weeks, I have been taking fairly large amounts of riboflavin(I would guess some where between 400-1200 mg per day with a few off days here and there). I was taking it for various reasons, but mainly because I enjoyed the feeling of relaxed energy that it gave me. However, I went to give blood earlier today and was surprised when they told me that I had a hemoglobin level of 18.1 g/dL. Considering the normal range for men is 13.8 to 17.2 grams per deciliter and that my hemoglobin was 15.1 during my last blood donation in December, I found this somewhat odd. I am in good health and have had no symptoms to suggest the usual web md diagnoses(cancer, heart failure, cops). I had been eating a fairly low iron diet, with most calories coming from diary and orange juice, so I thought that my supplementation of riboflavin had something to do with it. I found this study that seems to confirm or at least suggest that:

“The mobilization of iron from the intracellular protein ferritin is a reducing process. Reduced flavins can evidently reduce and thereby mobilize ferritin iron in a variety of tissues, at a rate that is physiologically relevant (85, 86). We and others have shown that tissues from rats fed riboflavin-deficient diets are less effi- cient at mobilizing ferritin iron than are tissues from control ani- mals (87–89)”

“There has been a single attempt to show an effect of riboflavin status on iron absorption in humans by using a stable isotope of iron (58Fe) (97). In that study, there was large variability in iron absorption between subjects, and we could find no measurable effect on iron absorption. However, the study did show an effect of riboflavin supplements on the con- centration of circulating hemoglobin, suggesting that improving riboflavin status had an effect on iron absorption or iron mobi- lization from existing stores.”

Taking this into account, I believe the riboflavin supplementation was increasing mobilization from my existing iron stores and increasing my hemoglobin.

I could be wrong. Take it however you want. But I thought it was interesting and something for others to consider if they choose to supplement riboflavin.
Perhaps assuming R5P, a smaller quantity would be needed compared to the synthetic form, furthermore one could evaluate the topical application in the spots 👍 regarding hemoglobin I am thinking of some indirect connection perhaps downstream ...

I unfortunately don’t have any noticeable lipofuscin/age spots to look at for effects. The diet hasn’t particularly changed in years, with general focus on dairy and juice consistent throughout. I did notice increased energy levels with b2, but with a greater sense of flow and relaxation when compared with an energy increase from stimulants like caffeine. The hemoglobin going up was quite unexpected and not something I was striving for, but I might try to retest the b2-hemoglobin connection in the future with a tighter controlled trial. As for now, I’m going to take a slight break just in case.
It’s good that you don’t lol! At least you have proof it raised your hemoglobin. I need to start eating liver again 😋

A-Tim

Wow that's a large dose. I'm glad you reported your results here. Useful to consider if you have iron overload. Blood donations will get ferritin down, but if you want to get excess iron out of the tissue, this is something to consider.

On the other hand, I can't imagine many situations where I will willingly take that dose. I think the RDA is about 1.5mg/day, with Chris Masterjohn suggesting that's a little low, and up to 5mg/day being suitable under certain circumstances.

When I took a dose of about 5mg of B2 in the form of nutritional yeast (marketed as unfortified, but I wonder), I had a moderate skin reaction. Not clear as to whether it was increased sensitivity to the sun, or just a skin reaction. It was better the next day and gone the day after that.

God knows what 400mg would do.

emunah

I started taking riboflavin recently, and I take about 100-200mg of r5p with no bad reactions. I also noticed higher energy and mental clarity. Time slowed down for me, which is weird.

OP
J

Jamsey

I'm thinking mixing it in a milk n cream milk shake might help it not irritate my stomach. My bad reaction was straight to the nose and naval cavity region. sucked.

Did you have any irritation from it?
Sorry to hear that you experienced an allergic reaction. I was taking b2 in powder form from lifegivingstore. It is USP grade which might be why I didn’t experience any allergic reaction or irritation

OP
J

Jamsey

Wow that's a large dose. I'm glad you reported your results here. Useful to consider if you have iron overload. Blood donations will get ferritin down, but if you want to get excess iron out of the tissue, this is something to consider.

On the other hand, I can't imagine many situations where I will willingly take that dose. I think the RDA is about 1.5mg/day, with Chris Masterjohn suggesting that's a little low, and up to 5mg/day being suitable under certain circumstances.

When I took a dose of about 5mg of B2 in the form of nutritional yeast (marketed as unfortified, but I wonder), I had a moderate skin reaction. Not clear as to whether it was increased sensitivity to the sun, or just a skin reaction. It was better the next day and gone the day after that.

God knows what 400mg would do.
Considering I did not notice any increased sun sensitivity, I would assume this reaction might be related to something else. I never liked nutritional yeast and I think considering the many added vitamins, it would be hard to pinpoint this reaction directly to b2. However, other people have also reported allergic reactions to b2 so overall I think it’s important to get USP grade supplements or just use food sources.

OP
J

Jamsey

I started taking riboflavin recently, and I take about 100-200mg of r5p with no bad reactions. I also noticed higher energy and mental clarity. Time slowed down for me, which is weird.
I experienced very similar effects! I’m glad you could corroborate that. Considering my elevated hemoglobin results, it might be worth getting a complete blood count test at some point. I will be getting tested in a couple weeks to make sure my hemoglobin has dropped to a safer range. After I have confirmed that, I will probably start supplementing again at a lower dose and retest to make sure my hemoglobin does not elevate out of range again.

Candeias

R5P is phosphorylated to normal riboflavin in the gut and has the same rate of absorption, according to this study...

Attachments

• jps.2600560112.pdf
    513 KB · Views: 17
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals