Aspirin / eugenol can remove lipofuscin from cells

haidut

Forum Supporter
One of the visible hallmarks of aging is the accumulation of so-called "age pigment" or "aging spots", commonly known in scientific circles as lipofuscin. The latter is a complex mix of peroxidized polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) and various metals (especially iron) that accumulates in cells with aging and once accumulated cannot readily be removed by cells. For a long time, medicine considered lipofuscin nothing by a benign cosmetic consequence of aging, appearing on the surface (skin) only. Studies over the last 2 decades demonstrated that none of these assumptions are true. Namely, lipofuscin is far from a harmless sign of aging, but rather is an active metabolic/mitochondrial suppressor that can reliably predict the failure of various organs and even mortality risk (independently of age). Speaking of organs, the more recent studies found that lipofuscin readily accumulates in any organ/tissue and the highest amounts are actually found not on the skin of old people, but rather in their brains, hearts, livers, and even gonads. Recognizing its active pathological role, some research circles have been trying to come up with ways to limit lipofuscin accumulation and the two most reliable dietary methods for achieving that is limiting the consumption of PUFA and iron-rich foods. Duh! Anti-oxidants, which prevent/limit PUFA peroxidation, have also been found to be effective at preventing/slowing lipofuscin formation/accumulation, with vitamin E displaying especially strong effects. However, the scientific consensus is that so far there is no known reliable way to remove already formed/accumulated lipofuscin, despite some studies have found that low-dose ethanol (alcohol), high-dose vitamin E, DMAE, curcumin, and other related chemicals may be able (in specific cases) to remove already deposited, intracellular lipofuscin.

The study below demonstrates that humble aspirin, and the main ingredient of clove oil - eugenol - can reliably lower already accumulated lipofuscin. In fact, in "large" doses (as the study calls them), the combination of aspirin and eugenol (given for just 8 weeeks) lowered lipofuscin levels below the levels of even the control (healthy, young) group. Aspirin or eugenol on their own were also effective, but the combination was much more powerful. Why did I put the "large" in quotes a few lines above? Well, the doses of aspirin and eugenol used in the study were the human-equivalent doses of about 1.5mg/kg daily. That means 1-2 baby aspirin tablets and a few drops of eugenol daily would be enough to replicate in humans the study design, and those doses are puny compared to regular strength aspirin (325mg tablets) or the animal studies with either aspirin or eugenol where the human-equivalent doses are often in the 1g+ daily range, and still without serious side effects. For more specific information on how effective aspirin/eugenol were, take a look at Tables 1 & 2 on page 4403 of the study below.

Antioxidant Activity of Aspirin Eugenol Ester for Aging Model of Mice by D-Galactose
"...The results were shown in Table 1 and 2. In model group compared with blank group, MDA and lipofuscin content increased significantly and there was signfiicant difference (p<0.01). This showed that the oxidation resistance of mice in model group was significantly lowered. Compared with eugenol group, aspirin group and AEE group, the decline of MDA and lipofuscin content with the increase of AEE dose were lowered significantly (p<0.01) and there also were positive dependence relationship between AEE dose and effect. Compared with eugenol group and aspirin group, the oxidation resistance in high dose AEE group was stronger....The results show that the small doses of AEE can effectively remove free radicals caused by D/galactose and large doses of AEE can make free radical level below the normal level. This will be healthier to mouse organisms."

tables.jpg

Oh, and btw NMDA antagonists such as magnesium may be another option as per the thread below.

Last edited:

tallglass13

I would nice if you could make a product with the two combined for topical use. I find it difficult to dissolve the ASA.

Nfinkelstein

If aspirin and eugenol topically could reverse age spots then someone would do well to make such a product.

akgrrrl

Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing. @akgrrrl did you see this? :):
Ooh thanks for the tag! because no I did not see...ON IT. Will report back. I have over 65 bottles of various compounds and oils and tinctures on my bench today making skin care for my small circle, so great timing to add an experiment to my routine. Jolly good!

yerrag

Nice find!

A gotcha here is to not be using any MAO inhibitors while using eugenol, as it is a MAO inhibitor also.

DonLore

Nice find!

A gotcha here is to not be using any MAO inhibitors while using eugenol, as it is a MAO inhibitor also.
I dont think it is a strong one, as I regularly eat cloves but have not noticed anything MAOI like from them

golder

Please bring back eugenol as an (optional) solvent in the Idealabs products!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Nice find!

It is a very selective MAO-B inhibitor and it only inhibits MAO-A in doses over say 500mg daily. Considering most studies used the human-equivalent of 50mg-100mg daily, I think it is a good margin of safety.
Look at the study below (Fig. 3) and also the chemical structure of the famous MAO-B inhibitor selegiline. Eugenol and selegiline are very close structural analogs.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
If aspirin and eugenol topically could reverse age spots then someone would do well to make such a product.

Eugenol is very irritating to the skin. I tried using it as a solvent for a while, all family members that tried it complained that it made their skin red and itchy. So, putting in an empty capsule and ingesting is prob the best option, for now. I will check if creating an ester of eugenol makes it less irritating and if yes then we can try it as a solvent again.
@golder

Nfinkelstein

Eugenol is very irritating to the skin. I tried using it as a solvent for a while, all family members that tried it complained that it made their skin red and itchy. So, putting in an empty capsule and ingesting is prob the best option, for now. I will check if creating an ester of eugenol makes it less irritating and if yes then we can try it as a solvent again.
Thank you Georgi for posting that, because I was about to try doing it on myself topically. Hopefully you will have some success on the ester.

Valor

I just tried one drop of essential oil (clove bud) in a teaspoon of carrier oil (olive oil, avocado oil, vit E) and applied the entire amount behind the knee. There was no irritation. A few minutes later a definite rush/euphoria like feeling turning into an energized, focus calm. I will continue to experiment. Thank you for posting the article!

Motorneuron

Have you practically made a transdermal essential oil? interestingly, it could also be worth doing with other molecules, provided that we know what effect it can cause.

In the case of eugenol, its PRO dopaminergic use and the effect on testosterone (therefore probably useful at the testicular/penis level) are interesting. I don't quite understand what happens to serotonin.

@Hans