Iron drives heart failure by fattening the heart; iron chelators may prevent/cure

Dannyb

Yes there is much evidence that aspirin lowers body iron stores through a couple of mechanisms:
1) mucosal blood loss. Even a daily loss of 1 ml of blood might substantially alter iron stores over time.
2) direct chelation of free iron
How much aspirin are we talking?

HighT

If I trusted the medical industry I would give blood now, save a few bags for myself if I get injured, and the rest to the hospital, but.... no way José now, in this day and age of genetic data collection/selling.
I don't trust them too.I have bought some lancets, but I'm still afraid to use them.

DrJ

IP6 as an iron chelating agent?
It is, but it will also bind other minerals. After much research, I have concluded that apolactoferrin is a very good iron chelator and has some added immunity benefits (in addition to the immunity benefits conferred by controlling free iron in the body).

:M :B.

It is, but it will also bind other minerals. After much research, I have concluded that apolactoferrin is a very good iron chelator and has some added immunity benefits (in addition to the immunity benefits conferred by controlling free iron in the body).
have you found an apolactoferrin supplement without added poisons/allergens? I looked pretty good months ago and couldn't find one. Thanks.

DrJ

have you found an apolactoferrin supplement without added poisons/allergens? I looked pretty good months ago and couldn't find one. Thanks.
There are not a lot of options, unfortunately. I use the Jarrow one, but it has the excipients: cellulose, gelatin, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide.

Vinny

Yes there is much evidence that aspirin lowers body iron stores through a couple of mechanisms:
1) mucosal blood loss. Even a daily loss of 1 ml of blood might substantially alter iron stores over time.
2) direct chelation of free iron
thanks

miraddo

How much aspirin are we talking?
1300mg of aspirin daily leads to approx ~20ml/day of blood loss. This means 4 x 325mg tablets per day for 1 month would lead to iron depletion equivalent to a 500ml blood donation, 2 x 325mg tablets daily would be equivalent to a blood donation every 2 months etc.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I recall seeing an IP6 product recently with added magnesium and calcium, likely because of the binding concern. However I wonder if encapsulating those minerals with IP6 wouldn't make them bind.

DrJ

I recall seeing an IP6 product recently with added magnesium and calcium, likely because of the binding concern. However I wonder if encapsulating those minerals with IP6 wouldn't make them bind.
Yeah I dunno. I see IP6 as unspecific while apolactoferrin is quite specific to iron so better to take the specific one if you know iron to be the problem.

maillol

I recently found out I have hereditary hemochromatosis. My ferritin was close to 400 but people who don't catch this condition earlier can be in the thousands. My iron saturation was over 60% which is very high. Thanks to everyone posting these things.

It's pretty common in North European people (like 1 in 150) so worth getting tested for if you have high iron and fit the ethnicity. Leeches might have been legit lol
Please ignore if this is too personal but I'm interested to know how this has affected you over your life. If you don't mind could you describe your bone structure? Did you got through puberty normally? Have you had any life long issues that now make sense?

DrJ

Please ignore if this is too personal but I'm interested to know how this has affected you over your life. If you don't mind could you describe your bone structure? Did you got through puberty normally? Have you had any life long issues that now make sense?
Well problems usually don't start to manifest until about 40 years old for men and about 50 for women because it takes that long to accumulate enough iron to cause symptoms. I'm almost 40 so about at the expected age. But it's not really something that affects one in childhood.

Main issue is that I noticed in the last few years I have felt fatigue often and have been getting joint pain in my back.

A-Tim

1300mg of aspirin daily leads to approx ~20ml/day of blood loss. This means 4 x 325mg tablets per day for 1 month would lead to iron depletion equivalent to a 500ml blood donation, 2 x 325mg tablets daily would be equivalent to a blood donation every 2 months etc.
Assuming the main intervention is to reduce ferritin and tsat by donating blood every 2 or 3 months
(here in Australia it's every 3 months), would that donation interfere with the second intervention of aspirin chelation?

If I recall they want to check your hemoglobin before you can donate each time round. Will aspirin chelation drop hemoglobin too far to make both interventions viable at the same time?

FitnessMike

daily coffee and dairy keep iron low, in my experience

achillea

Look to Jason Hommel for some interesting facts on copper and iron with references

miraddo

Assuming the main intervention is to reduce ferritin and tsat by donating blood every 2 or 3 months
(here in Australia it's every 3 months), would that donation interfere with the second intervention of aspirin chelation?

If I recall they want to check your hemoglobin before you can donate each time round. Will aspirin chelation drop hemoglobin too far to make both interventions viable at the same time?
my rat has donated blood 3 times this year and uses 2-3 aspirins per day, there hasnt been a drop in hemoglobin that would disqualify it from blood donation.

Last edited:

Apple

But why to bother about iron in foods on Ray Peat diet ?...which is high calcium diet. High calcium is protective , calcium inhibits iron absorption, regardless of whether it is given as Ca salts or in dairy products. Just eat your stake with a glass of milk.

Last edited:

Peater

Doesn't thiamine lower iron too? I remember my lower inner eyelid (the rough and ready anaemia test) being very light pink when I was taking TTFD

Runenight201

Wouldn’t this mean condemning the consumption of meat as a food? Or am I being too reductionist here. And what about the fact that heme iron is needed for red blood cells? @redsun @haidut

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals