Iron

HDD

My brother, 60 yrs., has arthritis type pain and nerve damage from statins. Doc says may take a few months to go away after stopping drug or not.

Ray-Z

narouz said:
Thanks, Ray-Z.
Yeah...I've really wrestled with that.
I've wondered if there's just one doctor in Columbia, SC where he lives
who doesn't buy into the orthodoxy about chlolesterol and statins,
and if I could find that doctor I could wrangle my dad to visit him/her.
Alas...I have so little hope that that one doctor exists...I haven't even tried very hard.

Because my dad, like most people, is gonna believe the doctor.
I've thought I should move in with him
just so that I could secretly swap his statins for some placebos!
For now I've been having some success getting him on COQ10 or Ubiquinol,
which are may mitigate some of the damage.
And I may be able to convince my dad's doctor to agree to a trial period of a few months
without the statin
to see if my dad's memory improves....

Love the idea of swapping the statins for placebos...or perhaps thyroid... :lol:

Good luck with your father's MDs.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Haagendazendiane said:
My brother, 60 yrs., has arthritis type pain and nerve damage from statins. Doc says may take a few months to go away after stopping drug or not.

This is just terrible stuff that doesnt even really work if I understand correctly. It barely reduces the risks of heart attack if any, but all the other troubles it brings on is terrible.

Kris

well, I just discovered a strong iron deficiency. I thought that I had problems with thyroid hence experiencing fatigue, but this was iron. i feel much better now after taking supplements. iron deficiency is very common, specially among vegetarian. the non-animal iron is very difficult to absorb.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kris, thats great you figured out whats going on with you and the fatigue!

jyb

Kris said:
well, I just discovered a strong iron deficiency. I thought that I had problems with thyroid hence experiencing fatigue, but this was iron. i feel much better now after taking supplements. iron deficiency is very common, specially among vegetarian. the non-animal iron is very difficult to absorb.

I'm also experiencing fatigue and I'm hypothyroid (low temps). What blood test do you recommend me to have to test if its iron too?

Since Peating a few months ago, I eat steak or liver once every 1-2 weeks, usually with milk and coffee to reduce absorption. Oysters too. Only sources of iron I think, so that's low iron, but that's also what Peat's articles recommend...

Kris

Jyb, if you eat meat, it is rare of have iron deficiency. I am vegetarian, and lots of coffee probably did not help. To do iron test is a good idea anyway. I just did the standard test, Iron, total iron binding capacity and traserrin saturation, including Ferritin.

OP
N

narouz

Just checking in on this topic with some stray thoughts:

1. I've found that Chlorella is an extremely high source of iron.
To put it in perspective,
beef liver, generally considered one of the most common of high iron foods,
has 7.5 mg per 3 ounces.
Chlorella has about 110 mg per 3 oz ! :shock:

Before I started Peating about a 9 months ago,
I was in this hardcore Mercola-ish dietary/exercise world.
Without going into the whys and wherefores,
he advocated a lot of Chlorella.
And I took a LOT.

I'm now wondering if my extremely high ferritin levels might be linked with that.

2. Basil and Thyme have very high iron levels.

3. Clams are extremely high in iron at 23mg/3ozs.
Oysters are pretty high too at 5mg/3ozs.

OP
N

narouz

jyb said:
Kris said:

I'm also experiencing fatigue and I'm hypothyroid (low temps). What blood test do you recommend me to have to test if its iron too?

Since Peating a few months ago, I eat steak or liver once every 1-2 weeks, usually with milk and coffee to reduce absorption. Oysters too. Only sources of iron I think, so that's low iron, but that's also what Peat's articles recommend...

I would echo Kris, jyb.
Peat says it is very rare to find someone who needs to supplement iron.
He seems to see the danger as being almost wholly on the other side:
how to avoid too much iron,
or--as in my case--how to unload it if you already are storing too much.

Personally, in your position, I would do a lot more study, lab work, before I supplemented iron.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wow did not know that about the chlorella.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Narouz, have you started donating blood yet?

chris

I've taken small amounts of chlorella in the past, ridiculous. I'm next due to give blood in 4 days.

OP
N

narouz

Sorry, got things backwards.
I meant to echo jyb, about Kris. :oops:

narouz said:
jyb said:
Kris said:

I would echo Kris, jyb.
Peat says it is very rare to find someone who needs to supplement iron.
He seems to see the danger as being almost wholly on the other side:
how to avoid too much iron,
or--as in my case--how to unload it if you already are storing too much.

Personally, in your position, I would do a lot more study, lab work, before I supplemented iron.

kettlebell

narouz said:

has 7.5 mg per 3 ounces.

And I took a LOT.

I'm now wondering if my extremely high ferritin levels might be linked with that.

:shock: For a couple of years up until last year I was using 3-4 tablespoons of chlorella a day because it was meant to be "Healthy". It was at the same time I was taking 10+gm a day of fish oil tablets and drinking 4 litres+ of water a day whilst being very low carb, high meat protein high salad, practically zero salt and intense ball breaking workout sessions 4 times a week.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sounds like an absolute metabolic disaster waiting to happen.

kettlebell

Charlie said:
Sounds like an absolute metabolic disaster waiting to happen.

Yep,

I was totally messed up but unwilling to admit it as "Paleo" was the way (Apparently).

OP
N

narouz

kettlebell said:
narouz said:

has 7.5 mg per 3 ounces.

And I took a LOT.

:shock: For a couple of years up until last year I was using 3-4 tablespoons of chlorella a day because it was meant to be "Healthy". It was at the same time I was taking 10+gm a day of fish oil tablets and drinking 4 litres+ of water a day whilst being very low carb, high meat protein high salad, practically zero salt and intense ball breaking workout sessions 4 times a week.

Ditto for me, kettlebell, on just about all facets. Sheesh! A wonder we're still alive. :?

kettlebell

narouz said:
kettlebell said:
narouz said:

has 7.5 mg per 3 ounces.

And I took a LOT.

Ditto for me, kettlebell, on just about all facets. Sheesh! A wonder we're still alive. :?

Its lucky I have faith that we can reverse whatever damage we have done, however bad. I am reminded daily of certain things I used to do that make me shake my head in dusgust at the damage I must have done over a period of time. My body hated me. It has now become an acquaintance but it will be a while until we are friends.

Dutchie

Well,my energetic therapist mailed me today saying I need to start supplementing with a product called Flora-Dix bc according to what she tested I'm severely lacking in Iron. She also said I needed to take Celtic Seasalt-footbaths every other day...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals