Recovering from coffee overdose

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

More than a cup of coffee makes me feel poorly.
I wanted to add to what Demyze posted about "Coffee done right"
This thread describes tea drinking among a culture in Kazakhstan
reportedly, they drink a lot, but tea has less caffeine than coffee, and it is broken up into smaller doses through the day. they also add milk, fat and salt!
I want to try taking caffeine in this manner. good luck to you

Been through this many times. The only thing that really helps is time. Your nerves are sensitized. It takes time to make them less sensitive. But if you are now prone to panic from caffeine it is best to minimize it.
Thanks, I’m better but I still feel a bit off. I believe I over did it, then I went through withdrawals, really the worst of both worlds. I’ll be supplementing T3, hopefully it helps.

InChristAlone

Thanks, I’m better but I still feel a bit off. I believe I over did it, then I went through withdrawals, really the worst of both worlds. I’ll be supplementing T3, hopefully it helps.
Be prepared for more adrenaline sensitivity with the T3, might need lots of cheesy potatoes to prevent the blood sugar rollercoaster.

redsun

Why not just consume your usual caffeine intake again as symptoms should subside quicker. How much do you usually consume?

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Why not just consume your usual caffeine intake again as symptoms should subside quicker. How much do you usually consume?
Yeah, that’s I’m doing, about 3 or so cups, I really want to make sure not to consume too much to where my metabolism can’t handle it again.

InChristAlone

Yeah, that’s I’m doing, about 3 or so cups, I really want to make sure not to consume too much to where my metabolism can’t handle it again.
You are very brave and strong still consuming that much caffeine after a panic attack. Most people will continue having panic attacks.

redsun

Oh I guess I misunderstood. I thought you stopped cold turkey.

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

You are very brave and strong still consuming that much caffeine after a panic attack. Most people will continue having panic attacks.
That’s usually what I consume, but so far today I’ve only drank a cup.

Oh I guess I misunderstood. I thought you stopped cold turkey.
Frankly, I’m not sure if I’m drinking too little or too much at this point, because I’m starting to feel hypo again, despite drinking it along with milk and sugar.

redsun

That’s usually what I consume, but so far today I’ve only drank a cup.

Frankly, I’m not sure if I’m drinking too little or too much at this point, because I’m starting to feel hypo again, despite drinking it along with milk and sugar.
How much total caffeine does your coffee consumption translate to?

redsun

Oh yeah, i use mostly instant coffee, forgot to mention it.
Ok makes sense. So that is a massive amount of caffeine and absolutely not sustainable. No wonder extra caffeine screwed you up, you are already in serious excess. Caffeine in reasonable doses does not raise cortisol much but the higher it is the higher cortisol will rise. So first off you are dealing with very high cortisol from that dose. It also dose-dependently release beta endorphins which is not good (when they are too high). As I explained in an earlier post, caffeine will upregulate adenosine, gaba, serotonin, and acetylcholine receptors and downregulate beta-adrenergic receptors. The more caffeine, the stronger this effect.

So you definitely need to lower this dose. It takes about a little over a week to completely withdraw from caffeine. But because your dose is so massive it will take longer and the withdraw will be much worse. I actually experienced a similar issue. I thought I was getting about 500mg caffeine but I didnt weigh properly and was getting over 800mg. And I dealt with crazy anxiety and stress overload from even simple things. I ended up going to 400mg from 800mg and then ~100mg in two seperate weeks to make easier. I suggest you do something similar. Your receptors do adjust but even better cortisol should dramatically drop once your dose gets low. I recommend 100mg or less long term.

Eating a lot of animal protein and getting plenty of vitamin C should help the process as it helps increase neurotransmitter synthesis which will reduce symptoms.

Last edited:

AlaskaJono

Oh yeah, i use mostly instant coffee, forgot to mention it.
Whoa.. that is quite different caffeine amount from most coffee beans fresh ground made into a delicious beverage. Most instant coffees are made from Robusta variety and are usually higher in caffeine. The internet is filled with caffeine in milligrams, but it is really quite variable. How much of a spoonful of instant do you use? If brewing how dark is the roast? How long do you let it steep if plunge pot? Varietals of coffee have different amounts of caffeine as well. I have experienced instant coffee a few times when I couldn't say no, to be polite, and the hot drink is definitely a diuretic for me, hard on the kidneys. I was pissing lots in 45 minutes. Much more so than my home brew. I suspect caffeine amount and the process itself may lend itself to that effect.

I roast my own beans and have done so for 15+ years, so I have experience with lots of different crops, some from the same farms in following years, and same type of beans but grown 20 km away from what I had before. And no I am not into this current trend of coffee roasted to a pale shade of khaki. Blasphemy!

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Ok makes sense. So that is a massive amount of caffeine and absolutely not sustainable. No wonder extra caffeine screwed you up, you are already in serious excess. Caffeine in reasonable doses does not raise cortisol much but the higher it is the higher cortisol will rise. So first off you are dealing with very high cortisol from that dose. It also dose-dependently release beta endorphins which is not good (when they are too high). As I explained in an earlier post, caffeine will upregulate adenosine, gaba, serotonin, and acetylcholine receptors and downregulate beta-adrenergic receptors. The more caffeine, the stronger this effect.

So you definitely need to lower this dose. It takes about a little over a week to completely withdraw from caffeine. But because your dose is so massive it will take longer and the withdraw will be much worse. I actually experienced a similar issue. I thought I was getting about 500mg caffeine but I didnt weigh properly and was getting over 800mg. And I dealt with crazy anxiety and stress overload from even simple things. I ended up going to 400mg from 800mg and then ~100mg in two seperate weeks to make easier. I suggest you do something similar. Your receptors do adjust but even better cortisol should dramatically drop once your dose gets low. I recommend 100mg or less long term.

Eating a lot of animal protein and getting plenty of vitamin C should help the process as it helps increase neurotransmitter synthesis which will reduce symptoms.
Thanks a ton. I don’t why I’ve been reacting to coffee this way, when I’ve regularly consumed around this amount.
Whoa.. that is quite different caffeine amount from most coffee beans fresh ground made into a delicious beverage. Most instant coffees are made from Robusta variety and are usually higher in caffeine. The internet is filled with caffeine in milligrams, but it is really quite variable. How much of a spoonful of instant do you use? If brewing how dark is the roast? How long do you let it steep if plunge pot? Varietals of coffee have different amounts of caffeine as well. I have experienced instant coffee a few times when I couldn't say no, to be polite, and the hot drink is definitely a diuretic for me, hard on the kidneys. I was pissing lots in 45 minutes. Much more so than my home brew. I suspect caffeine amount and the process itself may lend itself to that effect.

I roast my own beans and have done so for 15+ years, so I have experience with lots of different crops, some from the same farms in following years, and same type of beans but grown 20 km away from what I had before. And no I am not into this current trend of coffee roasted to a pale shade of khaki. Blasphemy!
Oh, I see, I usually use about 2 tbps, enough sugar until it’s sweet and 2 cups of milk. Will definitely ease up on it and drink according to my appetite for now on.

redsun

Thanks a ton. I don’t why I’ve been reacting to coffee this way, when I’ve regularly consumed around this amount.

Oh, I see, I usually use about 2 tbps, enough sugar until it’s sweet and 2 cups of milk. Will definitely ease up on it and drink according to my appetite for now on.
Eventually that insane dose of caffeine takes its toll on the body. I think that's what is happening.

AlaskaJono

Yes that is prolly 5 or 6X caffeine in their proposed method of making a cup of instant coffee. Nescafe instant is about 35-40 mg caffeine in a 120 ml cup, made with 1 teaspoon of coffee powder. One Tablespoon = 3 Teaspoon in cooking. Your spoon size may vary. Def taper down as you are consuming about 220-250 mg per cup!

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Yes that is prolly 5 or 6X caffeine in their proposed method of making a cup of instant coffee. Nescafe instant is about 35-40 mg caffeine in a 120 ml cup, made with 1 teaspoon of coffee powder. One Tablespoon = 3 Teaspoon in cooking. Your spoon size may vary. Def taper down as you are consuming about 220-250 mg per cup!
Yep, I learned my lesson. Hopefully I didn’t inflict permanent damage on myself.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals