Could Acidosis Be The Answer To My Anxiety And Coffee Intolerance

barefooter

For years I've been trying to put the pieces together for the causes of my anxiety, coffee intolerance, and other symptoms that seem to be getting worse now that I'm in my 30s. I kept coming back to blood sugar issues, which especially in terms of coffee intolerance is often talked about around here (ie: fuel up when having coffee). However, the blood sugar angle, and related interventions, hasn't really helped me so I'm starting to consider acidosis instead.

Coffee makes me feel amazing for at best an hour or two, and then I tend to have just an annoying uncomfortable/anxiety feeling that is often accompanied by a feeling of shortness of breath and desire to curl up away from people. This can take hours to resolve, and even eating a ton (like a whole box of cookies or quart of juice) doesn't seem to resolve it. No matter how much I eat with my coffee, it generally seems to be the same situation.

I get low blood sugar sometimes, from going too long without eating, and it is a very different feeling. I get shaky, maybe a tad anxious, but it's not the same kind of uncomfortable, and I don't feel short of breath. It also resolves very easily by simply eating.

The other day I happened to read something about acidosis on the forum, mineral balance, etc. and it got me thinking. It's now starting to make more sense if I view the issues with coffee (and other stimulants) from a viewpoint of the effects of acidosis. The shortness of breath is because my body is upping my respiratory rate to dump CO2 to raise blood ph, and the anxiety seems to be explained by the link from elevated lactic acid effecting the fear centers in the brain. From what I've read there's a strong interaction between acidosis and anxiety.

This model would lead to the conclusion that my body either produces too much lactic acid, or that I'm not efficient at getting rid of it. As a kid I was healthy and fit, but remember having almost no tolerance for coffee. I'd expect that in such a state with my metabolism humming along, I wouldn't have been producing an excess of lactic acid, so I'm wondering if there is something about my physiology that prevents me from being able to rapidly balance out low blood ph.

There are a couple aspects of my personal and family history that may shed more light on my situation. I've been a mouth breather pretty much my entire life (I'm a 33 y/o male btw). I've retrained myself to mostly breath through my nose, but I haven't seen any real positive health improvements from it. While it's a little hard to say if it's causative, I started the nose breathing a few years ago, and these years I've seen the worst anxiety of my life, including my first ever panic attacks. I read a ton about how bad mouth breathing is, but hadn't stopped to wonder why I was doing it in the first place, and if it was compensatory for something else.

My sister, dad, grandma, and aunt also seem to be pretty much exclusive mouth breathers, so there is some family history going on. Maybe we all have some condition where we're not able to buffer acid well enough (ie: chronic low production of bicarbonate) and mouth breathing is a compensatory mechanism to expel CO2 and raise the bloods ph. If this is the case, I wonder if I could simply up my intake of buffering minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium.

I may be way off here, but I feel very hopeful, because I've been exploring this blood sugar angle for years and seemingly only getting worse. If anyone has any insight on my situation, I'd be very appreciate of hearing it.

Is this a plausibly theory?
What should I do to test it?
What foods, supplements, etc. will be useful if this theory is correct? NOTE: my digestion doesn't like much dairy, so please don't suggest I drink a gallon of milk a day to buffer acid. Believe me, I'd love to if I could :)

ReSTART

What you say about coffee just sounds a comedown from a coffee high. Coffee lowers anxiety (when taken in good health), so a comedown from coffee naturally raises levels of anxiety above baseline.

sladerunner69

What you say about coffee just sounds a comedown from a coffee high. Coffee lowers anxiety (when taken in good health), so a comedown from coffee naturally raises levels of anxiety above baseline.

So your recommendation for her coffee intolerance is to consume more coffee when she feels symptoms of intolerance?

Interesting. Very interesting indeed.

Coffee intolerance is classically related to liver dysfunction so I would start by looking at how much unsaturated fat you are consuming daily, as well as consider supplementing vitamin K or aspirin because those two are the most effective supplements I know of in liver health.

Waynish

Wouldn't there be an easy way to test if acidity of a food is causing its intolerance? For example, having it with sodium bicarbonate?

Tarmander

HCL with meals will bring down veinus Co2, I have tried it and it works great.

InChristAlone

I also started experiencing panic attacks after retraining to reduced breathing. I am Soo not convinced I just had reactive hypoglycemia as my regulation based on a meter has been great I mean I did tend to undereat but I always sugared everything yet it was just getting worse. So if you look at those huge @gbolduev threads he talks about how caffeine gets you breathing faster kinda like exercise and so if you are a slow oxidizer your body is actually more on the alkaline side and then when you breathe faster your compensatory mechanism doesn't have a chance to balance and you panic. But the way out is not to continue to mouth breathe. I can get myself out by slowing down and I also tape my mouth at night and have less issue with nightmares.

Ascorbic acid has helped me. I don't drink coffee. I can handle some chocolate now but too much and I notice the shortness of breath, from the increase in metabolism. Guess I'm still not ready for it.

Devan

You literally just described me almost to a T. And I just turned 34 so same age about. I can't do coffee either and those are all symptoms of mine. Especially since my gallbladder was removed. But I also feel inflamed all the time like I have been working out even when I haven't. I have horrid acid re flux that has permanently damaged my esophagus and SIBO is back after going away from the first treatment I got for it. Such a battle. I'm curious to see if you or someone else finds some viable solutions because I've tried ray peats recommendations to take asprin, K2, gelatin, thyroid and so forth and nothing is solving the problem.

lvysaur

Coffee makes me feel amazing for at best an hour or two, and then I tend to have just an annoying uncomfortable/anxiety
Do you notice any change in hunger after drinking coffee?
Does coffee make you poop?

Devan

I don't drink coffee anymore and can't recall how it affected hunger. I think if I remember right it didn't make it less or more so right after but certainly if I hadnt eaten before the effects were worse. Coffee with protein and a tiny bit of fat seemed to make symptoms less pronounced. And it would tend to give me diarrhea. Its like a anxiety / flight or flight response. Anxiety belly, shits and panic attacks along with shortness of breath and worsened insomnia.

BBRP

They say pregnenolone helps with panic attacks.

Dr Derrick Lonsdale’s book on thiamine describes panic attacks as a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system and a pseudo hypoxia at the mitochondrial level or something.

So definitely make sure you’re taking thiamine and magnesium as well.

wintagal

I think I have chronic lactic acidosis. I've been taking 600 mg of baking soda 3x per day and the symptoms are gone. I get muscle pain, a burning feeling in my back muscles, just standing at the stove or whatever. And I get out of breath when I'm not exerting, even though my heart rate is low. It's called "Kussmaul breathing" and it's how your body raises your ph by breathing out CO2. And I get an agitated, anxious feeling and can't sleep.
Taking 1/4 tsp of salt will help, but just for a few hours. Taking B1 helps the anxiety-type symptoms. But the baking soda is the best so far. Just don't take much, not more than 1/8 teaspoon, or you can get too alkaline and that will slow your breathing and heart - a lot.

wintagal

And about coffee - the tolerance varies greatly among people. Your liver uses the P450 enzyme 1A2 to break down caffeine. If you make a lot of this enzyme, you'll be able to fall asleep 1 hour after an espresso. But if, like me, you don't make a lot of the enzyme, you'll stick to coffee in the morning or else not sleep.

gaze

in my own experience, this sort of coffee intolerance is from eating starch

peateats1

I think I have chronic lactic acidosis. I've been taking 600 mg of baking soda 3x per day and the symptoms are gone. I get muscle pain, a burning feeling in my back muscles, just standing at the stove or whatever. And I get out of breath when I'm not exerting, even though my heart rate is low. It's called "Kussmaul breathing" and it's how your body raises your ph by breathing out CO2. And I get an agitated, anxious feeling and can't sleep.
Taking 1/4 tsp of salt will help, but just for a few hours. Taking B1 helps the anxiety-type symptoms. But the baking soda is the best so far. Just don't take much, not more than 1/8 teaspoon, or you can get too alkaline and that will slow your breathing and heart - a lot.
Did you ever find anything besides baking soda to help your lactic acidosis? I have this issue to an extent, and take baking soda baths every day, but would like to fix the reason why my body makes too much lactate.
I've also been taking thiamine quite a bit each day. I'm just not sure what the root of lactic acidosis is. I wonder about Ct scans I've had in the past. They might set a person up for lactic acid problems for life?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals