Raising Body PH

Kia

Hello all,
I recently tested my pH levels and I'm 5.4 or whatever the lowest level is on the scale the test came with. This is super acidic- which can't be good. I've been trying to follow the peat diet for about a year now; mainly focusing on getting away from PUFAs, nuts, seeds and unnecessary veg. I'm eating primarily milk, oj, coffee, meats, potato, summer squash, melons, etc. foods from the peat chart :)
Other than adding vitamin D and some Bs, progesterone, bag breathing and using bentonite clay over the last couple of months, I'm not really on other supplements. I notice many people are taking eggshell or other types of calcium- would this help balance the pH in my body?
Any guidance is appreciated

HDD

Try adding a pinch of adding soda to your OJ. When I do this for several days, I become too alkaline.

Mittir

In hyperventilation body loses CO2 and becomes
very alkaline. Bag breathing lowers pH to normal and excess bag breathing
can make your body acidic. How much bag breathing are you doing?
I am not sure how bag breathing influences urine pH.

This is a very interesting study showing how diet influences
pH of urine. They used a formula to measure acid load.
http://journals.cambridge.org/download. ... dbfe6e39fd
PRAL =The potential renal acid load (PRAL) index was calculated
using individual nutrients derived from the FFQ and 7 d food
diary using the formula:

PRAL (mEq/d) = (P (mg/d) x 0·0366 + protein (g/d) x 0·4888) – (K (mg/d) x 0·0205
- Ca (mg/d) x 0·0125 - Mg (mg/d) x 0·0263)(16,26).

This formula includes phosphorus and protein as positive number
and potassium, calcium and magnnesium as negative number.
You can decrease phosphorus and protein and increase 3 alkaline
mineral to lower PRAL. Lower the PRAl more alkaline the urine.

OP
K

Kia

Thank you for your responses, now I have something to work with!

pboy

most of the fruit acids (citric, malic, succinic, tartaric, even ascorbic) are mostly absorbed and passed in the urine. So if you consume a good amount of fruit, within 6 hours by the time the fluid has mostly passes through the intestines, youll have acidic urine. This doesn't really indicate anything as for the whole body...just that you absorbed acids and they ended up in the urine. Why did you test your ph and what are you hoping to find? As in, what problem are you thinking might be related to PH? Most of the time urine is acidic just by nature, having alkaline urine is actually pretty rare outside of drinking milk and water and maybe herbal tea only

OP
K

Kia

My whole body feels a bit "irritated", as in a little inflation, headaches, weight gain, lack of flexibility, grogginess, etc. I'm doing what I can to follow the peat diet and thought that balancing my ph would help improve my body's overall state. I'm thinking now that the ph avenue is not one I will pursue.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I get the impression from reading Peat's articles that ideally our cells and body fluids will be slightly acidic due to mainly optimal CO2. I'm still searching for a good quote. Forum member haidut has posted some information on urine pH that you might find helpful. If you type in a search for urine pH there might be some information of interest. I feel pretty confident that the body pH does fall into a stable balance when one is eating and following a lifestyle in line with Peat's work. I don't think it is something we normally have to worry much about especially if CO2 is being produced by a decent metabolism. I suppose in an extreme state of disease like renal or respiratory failure or cancer that may not be true but I do believe generally for most of us following Peat's work it balances out nicely. :roll:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ray has written about the health benefits of living at high altitude. In my search to find a quote supporting my impression that a slightly acidic pH is preferable I found this quote from the web article Altitude and Mortality. Ray wrote:
"Mountain sickness" is a potentially deadly condition that develops in some people when they ascend too rapidly to a high altitude. Edema of the lungs and brain can develop rapidly leading to convulsions and death. The standard drug for preventing it is acetazolamide, which inhibits carbonic anhydrase, and causes carbon dioxide to be retained, creating a slight tendency toward acidosis.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found another quote pointing to the benefits of a slightly acidic pH from The Cancer Matrix July 2013 newsletter:
Ray wrote:
Stress(even anxiety induced hyperventilation) produces alkalosis, and alkalosis favors increased collagen synthesis, while lower pH inhibits it (Frick et, al., 1997). For example, within a minute or two of hyperventilating, platelets release serotonin, and serotonin is a major promotor of collagen synthesis and fibrosis.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
In the Rainmaking time audio: Energy-protective materials Ray speaks about this very issue! It's very much worth listening to if you have some spare time. He covers the issue in the first half hour! The cells are ideally acidic from adequate CO2 but the blood is slightly alkaline. He explains it so wonderfully and talks about urine pH too.

BibleBeliever

Hello all,
I recently tested my pH levels and I'm 5.4 or whatever the lowest level is on the scale the test came with. This is super acidic- which can't be good. I've been trying to follow the peat diet for about a year now; mainly focusing on getting away from PUFAs, nuts, seeds and unnecessary veg. I'm eating primarily milk, oj, coffee, meats, potato, summer squash, melons, etc. foods from the peat chart :)
Other than adding vitamin D and some Bs, progesterone, bag breathing and using bentonite clay over the last couple of months, I'm not really on other supplements. I notice many people are taking eggshell or other types of calcium- would this help balance the pH in my body?
Any guidance is appreciated
Too acidic urine for too prolonged of a time can cause uric acid stones to form. They seem to commonly form in the lower right side of the abdomen and can cause pain that can be mistaken for appendix issues. It can also cause gout or be a sign of it.

Besides baking soda increasing urine ph. Potassium citrate works wonders. Potassium in general. The more salt you consume the more potassium you need.
Lemon juice also increases urine ph. Thus when consuming proteins that would lower ph, counter by adding some lemon juice.
I am also beginning to believe that people who have troubles with gelatin might be due to the fact that the proteins would probably lower urine ph; prolonged over a period perhaps it contributes to them getting stones? Thus lemon juice with gelatin seems like a superior combo. However I am only speculating here.

tara

Too acidic urine for too prolonged of a time can cause uric acid stones to form.
And probably other trouble too.
Yeah, lemon juice.
And possibly all the alkaline minerals - potassium, but I think maybe also sodium, calcium (eg milk/eggshell), magnesium (eg green broth).

RP- I think the 24-hour urine should be pretty acidic (6.3–6.7 is optimum), from a good protein intake, but the saliva should be just a little under 7, reflecting a good carbon dioxide content. There are lots of pH cults. Healthy cells use oxygen (“acid source”) and produce carbon dioxide (a Lewis acid), and are resistant to stress. Cancer cells are more alkaline (from producing lactate instead of carbon dioxide) than healthy cells, contrary to popular pH cult beliefs.
I'd expect UpH of 5.4 to be too low if that was an average, but I think one would want to test several times rather than rely on one measurement.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals