Low Coffee Tolerance Indicative Of Weak Liver (?)

Dissonance

Hey guys! I’m quite new to peating and have been binging on forum posts/Peat interviews/etc the last couple weeks figuring out how this all works. I have lots of questions, but I’ll just stick with one for now. Like many people, the idea that sugar is illicit and harmful was deeply ingrained in me. I was very reluctant to eat as much sugar as I am now. Coffee has been something else I’ve always loved but have avoided, for different reasons. When I drink coffee, I experience what I can only describe as my “bones hurting”. It’s a deep muscle stiffness, coupled with hypersensitivity, that lasts the rest of the day. I otherwise don’t experience this. Worth mentioning is that the times when I drank coffee frequently the pain would decrease somewhat. I read somewhere that Peat claims that caffeine can be a metric for liver health- is this true? Does my intolerance to caffeine indidcate a weak liver, or is it something else?

Note: I am hypothyroid and have stress-induced eczema. I’m an ex-chronic mouth breather lol.. breathing has definitely been improving further.

CrystalClear

Hi and welcome. Bumping your post. I have issues with coffee /caffeine too but it disturbs my sleep.

redsun

Hey guys! I’m quite new to peating and have been binging on forum posts/Peat interviews/etc the last couple weeks figuring out how this all works. I have lots of questions, but I’ll just stick with one for now. Like many people, the idea that sugar is illicit and harmful was deeply ingrained in me. I was very reluctant to eat as much sugar as I am now. Coffee has been something else I’ve always loved but have avoided, for different reasons. When I drink coffee, I experience what I can only describe as my “bones hurting”. It’s a deep muscle stiffness, coupled with hypersensitivity, that lasts the rest of the day. I otherwise don’t experience this. Worth mentioning is that the times when I drank coffee frequently the pain would decrease somewhat. I read somewhere that Peat claims that caffeine can be a metric for liver health- is this true? Does my intolerance to caffeine indidcate a weak liver, or is it something else?

Note: I am hypothyroid and have stress-induced eczema. I’m an ex-chronic mouth breather lol.. breathing has definitely been improving further.

I hope for your sake your sugar is mostly from whole food sources like fruit, milk, honey. And if it is, thats great. If not, you might want to make that transition and limit refined sugars as the lack of nutrients in refined sugars catch up to you. If you want more refined sugar in the diet, B-complex is an order(should take it anyway). Yes caffeine tolerance is generally a good indicator of liver health and if you find you have terrible tolerance to it that could mean your liver is suboptimally functioning and it would be in your best interest of long term health to try to improve it.

The general recommendations here is vitamin K2(as mk-4), glycine, taurine, choline, and a higher protein diet so the liver can detoxify and repair itself. The entire B-complex has a role in liver detox and maintenance. Vitamin C is a necessary cofactor for conversion of cholesterol to bile acids which are vital for the liver, so high vitamin C foods are your friends. I covered most of the bases for healing the liver but I am sure you can find other things if you search around the forum.

Hugh Johnson

Glycine might help you. It greatly increased my caffeine tolerance.

Back when I was regaining stress hormone sensitivity (or that is what I believe it was) I had a period where even a sip of coffee would cause me to vomit. Liver probably just could not handle the increased need for glucose.

OP
D

Dissonance

I hope for your sake your sugar is mostly from whole food sources like fruit, milk, honey. And if it is, thats great. If not, you might want to make that transition and limit refined sugars as the lack of nutrients in refined sugars catch up to you. If you want more refined sugar in the diet, B-complex is an order(should take it anyway). Yes caffeine tolerance is generally a good indicator of liver health and if you find you have terrible tolerance to it that could mean your liver is suboptimally functioning and it would be in your best interest of long term health to try to improve it.

The general recommendations here is vitamin K2(as mk-4), glycine, taurine, choline, and a higher protein diet so the liver can detoxify and repair itself. The entire B-complex has a role in liver detox and maintenance. Vitamin C is a necessary cofactor for conversion of cholesterol to bile acids which are vital for the liver, so high vitamin C foods are your friends. I covered most of the bases for healing the liver but I am sure you can find other things if you search around the forum.

This is a very thorough response, thank you!! I was wondering as much with all these people consuming large amounts of “empty” calories in the form of table sugar.. especially the milk & sugar combo which didn’t make me feel so good (randle cycle, perhaps?). I’ve been gravitating towards fruit mainly, because it feels most satisfying, so I’m glad I was heading in the right direction. Wondering if I should keep fat low as well, in an effort to decrease the burden on the liver... i notice increased pain after eating anything high fat, but I don’t want to miss out on any nutrients either. I will look into all those things that you mentioned! Only thing I’m positive I’m getting enough of is vitamin c.

OP
D

Dissonance

Glycine might help you. It greatly increased my caffeine tolerance.

Back when I was regaining stress hormone sensitivity (or that is what I believe it was) I had a period where even a sip of coffee would cause me to vomit. Liver probably just could not handle the increased need for glucose.
Interesting! And you have no problem consuming coffee now? I’ll definitely look into glycine more.

Hugh Johnson

Interesting! And you have no problem consuming coffee now? I’ll definitely look into glycine more.
Yep. I had no issue with coffee when I started glycine. I just could not handle all that much caffeine before it became painful. GLycine let me take over 1000mg at once without it being painful. Not that I support using pure caffeine if you have the choice.