Heavy breathing

iLoveSugar

For most my life (36 y/o male), I've had a small touch of asthma. I've never really used an inhaler. My stamina hasn't ever really been good as I would wind way quicker than others.

Over the past couple of years, I put on roughly 40-50 lbs, and my problems are at a whole new level. I can't ever take a deep breath as I always hit a brick wall. My lungs always feel compressed. I'm always short of breath. I breath heavy alot. Even with minimal movements like laying down, walking up stairs, etc., it just winds me. I'm definitely a mouth breather because my nose is always clogged. I wake up every morning also sort of gasping and short on air. I've been to pulmonary doctors and they just want to put me on multiple inhalers. I also struggled bad with a cpap at night.

Really looking for some helpful advice here.

TheSir

Asthma and clogged nose are your body attempting to preserve co2. You are wasting co2, either due to lack of co2 tolerance or excessive buildup of lactic acid. This then causes you to be oxygen deprived on cellular level. Mouthbreathing causes you to waste even more co2.

Buteyko method will begin to alleviate your problems in just a few days and cure your asthma in a few months. It's important that you begin losing weight, start walking daily within the limits your ability, and learn proper diaphragmatic breathing.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Asthma and clogged nose are your body attempting to preserve co2. You are wasting co2, either due to lack of co2 tolerance or excessive buildup of lactic acid. This then causes you to be oxygen deprived on cellular level. Mouthbreathing causes you to waste even more co2.

Buteyko method will begin to alleviate your problems in just a few days and cure your asthma in a few months. It's important that you begin losing weight, start walking daily within the limits your ability, and learn proper diaphragmatic breathing.
Been trying like crazy to lose weight. Thyroid, walking, etc. Its tough, very.

Guacamayo

@iLoveSugar did you ever get to the bottom of this? Or perhaps found something that helps ameliorate the symptoms even a little?

Hope you're doing well by the way.

Chad_Catholic

I'm suffering from something similar. I am 24 years old and have a lot of lean muscle, but I was on the keto and fasting diet for the past four years, so I don't think my body is used to all the CO2 being produced in my body. I exacerbated the situation by taking small doses of androsterone, progesterone, and pansterone, thinking that I was improving my sugar metabolism by doing so. I am now off of all supplements except for Trazodone at night for my insomnia.

Lollipop2

I'm suffering from something similar. I am 24 years old and have a lot of lean muscle, but I was on the keto and fasting diet for the past four years, so I don't think my body is used to all the CO2 being produced in my body. I exacerbated the situation by taking small doses of androsterone, progesterone, and pansterone, thinking that I was improving my sugar metabolism by doing so. I am now off of all supplements except for Trazodone at night for my insomnia.
Why would you keep the toxic Trazodone and ditch the protective progesterone? Progesterone even helps with insomnia as does milk and aspirin and some sugar like honey or ice cream. Trazodone is toxic and addictive.

Chad_Catholic

Why would you keep the toxic Trazodone and ditch the protective progesterone? Progesterone even helps with insomnia as does milk and aspirin and some sugar like honey or ice cream. Trazodone is toxic and addictive.
I haven't found Trazodone to be addictive, but I thought Ray approved of the use of Trazodone because of its anti-serotonin effects. Also, I ditched the Progesterone because I had been on Trazodone for months prior to experiencing breathing issues, and it was not until I added pro-hormones that I started to feel like I'm gasping for air all the time.

TheSir

I haven't found Trazodone to be addictive, but I thought Ray approved of the use of Trazodone because of its anti-serotonin effects. Also, I ditched the Progesterone because I had been on Trazodone for months prior to experiencing breathing issues, and it was not until I added pro-hormones that I started to feel like I'm gasping for air all the time.
A hypothesis: the pro-hormones are increasing cellular co2 output, and thus co2 saturation of the circulating blood, to an uncomfortable level, i.e. to a level where your body is compelled to get rid of the excess. Consider this: when you are holding your breath, it's not the drop in oxygen that makes you feel like you're suffocating, but the excess co2 (if someone could avoid the buildup of co2, they could hold their breath with minimal discomfort, probably until they passed out). If my understanding is correct, your urge to inhale is really the urge to draw the excess co2 out of the blood: the slight vacuum that is formed in your lungs by diaphragmatic expansion should not only pull oxygen in through your airways, but also co2 from your veins. You can test this hypothesis by breathing so as to pump co2 out of your lungs, instead of seeking to fill them with air. Quick superficial inhalations with deep and thorough exhalations should do the trick. If this makes you feel less out of breath, notify me and I'll tell you how to proceed.

Guacamayo

A hypothesis: the pro-hormones are increasing cellular co2 output, and thus co2 saturation of the circulating blood, to an uncomfortable level, i.e. to a level where your body is compelled to get rid of the excess. Consider this: when you are holding your breath, it's not the drop in oxygen that makes you feel like you're suffocating, but the excess co2 (if someone could avoid the buildup of co2, they could hold their breath with minimal discomfort, probably until they passed out). If my understanding is correct, your urge to inhale is really the urge to draw the excess co2 out of the blood: the slight vacuum that is formed in your lungs by diaphragmatic expansion should not only pull oxygen in through your airways, but also co2 from your veins. You can test this hypothesis by breathing so as to pump co2 out of your lungs, instead of seeking to fill them with air. Quick superficial inhalations with deep and thorough exhalations should do the trick. If this makes you feel less out of breath, notify me and I'll tell you how to proceed.
I think you may be on to something. In a recent blood test my carbon dioxide level was at 32 (with the normal range from 20 - 32). I also have those symptoms of lack of air that seem to have gotten better in the last few months, but late last year I did have this strong sense that I was never able to breathe in enough air.

What is the best way to lower carbon dioxide levels in the blood? Buteyko breathing?

TheSir

I think you may be on to something. In a recent blood test my carbon dioxide level was at 32 (with the normal range from 20 - 32). I also have those symptoms of lack of air that seem to have gotten better in the last few months, but late last year I did have this strong sense that I was never able to breathe in enough air.

What is the best way to lower carbon dioxide levels in the blood? Buteyko breathing?
It may not be important (or even beneficial) to attempt to lower your co2 levels. The genius of Buteyko breathing and breathwork in general is that it will teach your nervous system to tolerate higher levels of co2, which will have a major quasi-permanent effect on your overall health. As cellular oxygenation increases due to co2 retention, every single process within your body will become more efficient, since oxygen (and glucose) are the foundation of it all.

About one hour of daily breathwork is typically needed to ensure steady progress. Some will need more, others less. Breathwork and cardio are interchangeable. In its simplest non-advanced form, breathwork involves pursuing enhanced physical relaxation or strong parasympathetic dominance. This will lower the defenses of your chemoreceptors, enabling them to accept the heightened co2 saturation as the new setpoint. You are to breathe only as much as you need or slightly less (gentle air hunger), and your exhalations are to passively fall out of you on their own momentum, rather than deliberately pushed out by physical effort. Seek to keep increasing relaxation for the whole duration of the exhalation. If possible, pause between the exhalation and inhalation, staying within the limits of your ability to keep furthering the relaxation. You can do 1x 60 min session, 6x 10 min sessions or anything between. Sitting down and lying down are fine. Adopting subconscious anatomically correct, diaphragm-dominant breathing pattern is important too. In your situation, you will likely make significant progress by focusing on relaxation only while letting your breathing be as free and unrestricted as possible.

relaxedbreathing.png

DonLore

Is this about heavy breathing or lung-problems/asthma/inflammation in lungs? If latter, then endotoxin, chronic viral/bacterial load, could be the reason

Chad_Catholic

Thanks, the short inhalations and long exhalations have been very therapeutic. What's next?

Last edited:

Lollipop2

Thank you for your explanation. I have my doubts that Ray supports an antidepressant. But hey, I could be wrong.

Chad_Catholic

Thank you for your explanation. I have my doubts that Ray supports an antidepressant. But hey, I could be wrong.
This is a citation from one of his articles on his website:

Eur J Pharmacol 1982 Jul 30;81(4):569-76. Actions of serotonin antagonists on dog coronary artery. Brazenor RM, Angus JA. Serotonin released from platelets may initiate coronary vasospasm in patients with variant angina. If this hypothesis is correct, serotonin antagonists without constrictor activity may be useful in this form of angina. We have investigated drugs classified as serotonin antagonists on dog circumflex coronary artery ring segments in vitro. Ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, bromocriptine, lisuride, ergometrine, ketanserin, trazodone, cyproheptadine and pizotifen caused non-competitive antagonism of serotonin concentration-response curves. In addition, ketanserin, trazodone, bromocriptine and pizotifen inhibited noradrenaline responses in concentrations similar to those required for serotonin antagonism. All drugs with the exception of ketanserin, cyproheptadine and pizotifen showed some degree of intrinsic constrictor activity. Methysergide antagonized responses to serotonin competitively but also constricted the coronary artery. The lack of a silent competitive serotonin antagonist precludes a definite characterization of coronary serotonin receptors at this time. However, the profile of activity observed for the antagonist drugs in the coronary artery differs from that seen in other vascular tissues. Of the drugs tested, ketanserin may be the most useful in variant angina since it is a potent 5HT antagonist, lacks agonist activity and has alpha-adrenoceptor blocking activity.

Lollipop2

This is a citation from one of his articles on his website:

Eur J Pharmacol 1982 Jul 30;81(4):569-76. Actions of serotonin antagonists on dog coronary artery. Brazenor RM, Angus JA. Serotonin released from platelets may initiate coronary vasospasm in patients with variant angina. If this hypothesis is correct, serotonin antagonists without constrictor activity may be useful in this form of angina. We have investigated drugs classified as serotonin antagonists on dog circumflex coronary artery ring segments in vitro. Ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, bromocriptine, lisuride, ergometrine, ketanserin, trazodone, cyproheptadine and pizotifen caused non-competitive antagonism of serotonin concentration-response curves. In addition, ketanserin, trazodone, bromocriptine and pizotifen inhibited noradrenaline responses in concentrations similar to those required for serotonin antagonism. All drugs with the exception of ketanserin, cyproheptadine and pizotifen showed some degree of intrinsic constrictor activity. Methysergide antagonized responses to serotonin competitively but also constricted the coronary artery. The lack of a silent competitive serotonin antagonist precludes a definite characterization of coronary serotonin receptors at this time. However, the profile of activity observed for the antagonist drugs in the coronary artery differs from that seen in other vascular tissues. Of the drugs tested, ketanserin may be the most useful in variant angina since it is a potent 5HT antagonist, lacks agonist activity and has alpha-adrenoceptor blocking activity.

Okay he cited a study from 1982 that mentions its action.

TheSir

Thanks, the short inhalations and long exhalations have been very therapeutic. What's next?
Well, that would confirm the hypothesis. Now simply keep practicing relaxation and reduced breathing as I instructed in post #12 in order to develop tolerance to co2.
It seems to be an overproduction of CO2 that is starving my lungs of oxygen
Your lungs have all the oxygen they need. The oxygen saturation of your blood is most likely 98-100%.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals