Out of breath - ALWAYS

AlaskaJono

Does Ray Peat ever talk about scenarios where we need iron? I've always seen the contrary!
You may have a gut issues which exacerbate your breathing issues, but sounds like a variety of symptoms and systems affected. So difficult, but not impossible. Spleen and bone marrow produce blood. Just saying. Eating a little beef or sheeps liver @ week or 2 x week may help you produce iron. But also I would recommend the swimming in natural water, sea, lake, etc., or some other activity that gets you immersed in the Elements. As in Earth, Water, Sunshine, activity, digging in the dirt. Also movement in general, walking, biking, etc. . .... I most probably have the opposite issue, too much iron! So I am tapering down little by little. Sedentary in front of a computer is a prescription for disease. Bye now, getting off the puter! Stick with your experimenting.

Birdie

then whats causing my low mcv? Candida, low thyroid, damaged liver maybe?
It looks like, from that newsletter, Ray suggests eating liver... I like the milder taste of calves' liver.

Birdie

Interesting easy to read article on Atrial Fibrillation. Some similar symptoms to yours @iLoveSugar .

eimearrose

Sounds good. Just keep in mind its best absorbed alone at least half an hour before a meal.
This is what I was always told too but it would always lead to extreme gut pain and diarrhea. When I did take it, I used to take it with food which reduced the symptoms somewhat. I personally wouldn't advocate for iron supplementation until your gut is in better condition. Iron in the amounts in a supplement are stressful enough on a healthy GI tract. If you do go ahead and take the iron and you get bad stomach pain, take it with food. Apparently taking iron supplements with haem rich foods like beef, as well as vitamin C rich foods (eg orange juice) helps with absorption. FWIW, iron supplementation never got my ferritin levels up by very much, except a transient rise when I had an IV last year. That's one way of bypassing a dodgy gut. My ferritin did get up to my usual high of around 50 just by being strictly gluten free, but I 'relapsed' because I haven't been formally diagnosed.

redsun

This is what I was always told too but it would always lead to extreme gut pain and diarrhea. When I did take it, I used to take it with food which reduced the symptoms somewhat. I personally wouldn't advocate for iron supplementation until your gut is in better condition. Iron in the amounts in a supplement are stressful enough on a healthy GI tract. If you do go ahead and take the iron and you get bad stomach pain, take it with food. Apparently taking iron supplements with haem rich foods like beef, as well as vitamin C rich foods (eg orange juice) helps with absorption. FWIW, iron supplementation never got my ferritin levels up by very much, except a transient rise when I had an IV last year. That's one way of bypassing a dodgy gut. My ferritin did get up to my usual high of around 50 just by being strictly gluten free, but I 'relapsed' because I haven't been formally diagnosed.
Some people do get more severe GI side effects but its not that common. In those case, proferrin can be used. They have a newer supplement called proferrin clear which doesnt have all the excipients that the old version has. I would recommend using that if you have very bad GI problems but if not iron glycinate is preferred because of absorption rate. When someone needs to fix deficiency in a timely matter, the quantity of iron needs to be higher and also nonheme absorption is not saturable. Heme iron absorption seems to be a saturable. So it is a slower way but still would be better than severe GI effects of that is a problem.

You should also do a full iron panel and not just look at ferritin. Your iron may actually be in a good spot. But if its not and you do need iron, an iron panel will show that as well.

eimearrose

Some people do get more severe GI side effects but its not that common. In those case, proferrin can be used. They have a newer supplement called proferrin clear which doesnt have all the excipients that the old version has. I would recommend using that if you have very bad GI problems but if not iron glycinate is preferred because of absorption rate. When someone needs to fix deficiency in a timely matter, the quantity of iron needs to be higher and also nonheme absorption is not saturable. Heme iron absorption seems to be a saturable. So it is a slower way but still would be better than severe GI effects of that is a problem.

You should also do a full iron panel and not just look at ferritin. Your iron may actually be in a good spot. But if its not and you do need iron, an iron panel will show that as well.
Yep I always get a full iron panel as of course iron overload is dangerous. I have tried a lot of forms of supplemental iron. None of them are suitable for me and that's entirely possible. GI disease is a common cause of iron issues so it's not unusual for iron deficient people to have a hard time with the supplements.

cs3000

if low iron isnt the issue (which can be helped with secondary factors sometimes like correcting low riboflavin)

then i would try bee propolis, has really good anti-inflammatory effects in lungs
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1472-8206.2003.00117.x
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0753332221013822#bib126

Analysis of the results at the end of the clinical study revealed that patients receiving propolis showed a marked reduction in the incidence and severity of nocturnal attacks and improvement of ventilatory functions.
The number of nocturnal attacks dropped from an average of 2.5 attacks per week to only 1. The improvement in pulmonary functions was manifested as a nearly 19% increase in FVC, a 29.5% increase in FEV1, a 30% increase in peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR), and a 41% increase in the forced expiratory flow rate between 25 and 75% of the vital capacity (FEF25-75).
The clinical improvement was associated with decreases by 52, 65, 44 and 30%, respectively, of initial values for the pro-inflammatory cytokines tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α, ICAM-1, interleukin (IL)-6 and IL-8, and a 3-fold increase in the ‘protective’ cytokine IL-10. The levels of prostaglandins E2 and F2α and leukotriene D4 were decreased significantly to 36, 39, and 28%, respectively, of initial values. Patients on the placebo preparation showed no significant improvement in ventilatory functions or in the levels of mediators

macheddy

Were the sensations of shortness of breath and heart rate changes preceded by any headaches? shoulder pain?, Burning/numbness/tingling in the arm? any history of whiplash?... This is not a heart attack question, but a thoracic outlet question. It can cause a lot of non-pain related symptoms. I am a PT.
Yo, pizzaball. I’m dealing With some of these symptoms and more. Tingling, shoulder pain, occasional breathlessness. Recently discovered a cervical rib rubbing on my right collarbone. What the hell can I do? PT, massage?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals