old mummy breath and food issues

caroline

Wondering if anyone else experiences this. I had lots of problems with this when doing low/zero carb, also when doing coffee prior to Peat eating, which is why I had to give it up, though I really liked it. What happened when I was still doing PUFA, is basically everything gave me terrible breath pretty much if it didn't seem to work for me. Eggs and coffee were the worst. Since doing this, it has shifted. HOWEVER, my husband informed me today that he could smell it. Pleasant.

Now what did I have that could be suspect....cheese. Did much more of this today and do remember faintly noticing a not-nice taste after the parmeg/reggiano. Also, had an egg cooked. Had only done it raw till today but saw Peat's info on how much more digestible it is cooked. And this was a soy-free egg. No pain or aches from anything, which used to ensue immediately after consuming eggs prior to Peat-eating.

Also, had my coffee much more bitter today and not so milky and sweet and did not heat my milk as I have been doing in the frother. I thought this was better b/c after reading about oxidation due to heat, etc., I figured even though I like my milk super hot, it was "better for me" to have it just at the temp from the fridge mixed with my aaeropress coffee shot. Any ideas on this? The breath thing drives me crazy and I assume it is an indication that something I am doing is a no-no. Now I don't want to breathe. :lol: Well, at least that will help with the whole CO2 thing. The biggest relief of this diet was that my breath has been totally normal, even eating all my old usual suspects...till today! :cry: Anyone who has experienced this sort of thing (breath going funky when food doesn't agree with them), and has some insight about what it might be, I would be happy to know.

NooMoahk

I tend to get odd after-tastes and breath scents from different cheeses. Parmigiano-Reggiano not so often, other cheeses quite often. I think it's sensitivity to the metabolic byproducts of the bacterial cultures. I also get bumps and painful sore spots on the sides and back of my tongue with certain cheeses, mainly ones high in lactic acid and/or very aged cheeses(including parmigiano). Unfermented dairy and very young cheeses do not cause this for me. Coffee can sometimes cause a scent but usually that is when I am not adequately hydrated(minerals or water) and my mouth dries out.

An unrelated tip on the egg: yes, the egg white protein is more digestible when cooked but I see no benefit to cooking the yolk. In fact, I don't eat egg whites anymore because I don't consider it very good protein. It lowers my blood sugar way too much and has no significant nutrients that I'm aware of. I just eat raw yolks with some other better protein.

OP
C

caroline

Thank you very much for responding. This morning my breath is TERRIBLE. That makes sense about the egg. I also realized several other things I consumed yesterday have caused this problem in isolation before: cocoa powder (instead of chocolate), potato (go figure), oranges (I do fine with juice but fruit seems to be problematic so far-haven't tried apples yet).

The cheese only had animal rennet; no cultures. Back to square one. It just makes me want to stand a mile away from another person. I will remove all of the above right now and stick with coffee, milk, juice, and proteins and only solid chocolate with more sugar (no cocoa!)

It is just so funny that when I think something will be "healthier," my ideas are way wrong. More sugar today. I am still not certain about whether the unheated milk caused a problem as well since I had only done it hot until yesterday. It is NOT raw milk, but pasteurized 1%, as skim and whole both seemed to cause issues.

pboy

anything that stinks when you cook it or let it sit, will stink within you, and when it comes out...quite simple. Eggs smell like sulfur, so do beans and cruciferous vegetables, or long ages cheeses

OP
C

caroline

HMM, interesting. When my husband smelled it, (brave soul that he was), he DID say it smelled like EGG. And that is why this diet appealed to me (re: the vegetables) b/c vegetables always gave me an immediate bad taste. Always. Well, I will nix the cheese (expensive anyway for the size) and if my breath gets better, will try raw egg minus the white.)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Possibly but most likely, tonsil stones. :beammeup

OP
C

caroline

hahaha, that is a funny emoticon, Charlie! Thank GOD, my breath is gone after drinking TONS of OJ, eating some sweet chocolate, and taking lots of salt. Had a raw egg yolk, without the white. Tonsil stones decided to go back into hiding where they belong, away from civilized society.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wait till you are able to figure out how to fish one of those puppies out, then squash it. OMG. The stench is something out of this world.

I use to get these as a little kid, I remember the smell from way back then. Then after starting Peat, I started to notice that smell again and it would bring back memories as a kid. lol I chalk the tonsil stones up to an immune system doing its job.

OP
C

caroline

That certainly is a better perspective, Charlie. You're right about this, I think. I feel martyred b/c smell is always an OBVIOUS and unavoidable sign that what I do isn't working. But if it wasn't there, I would be blithely going about doing these things which clearly aren't optimal for my health. Thanks for getting me to think about it in a different way; smelly breath can be fixed by removing the culprit; but no indication of this can lead to much further problems down the road. I almost love my little tonsil stones now. Almost.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
caroline said:
That certainly is a better perspective, Charlie. You're right about this, I think. I feel martyred b/c smell is always an OBVIOUS and unavoidable sign that what I do isn't working. But if it wasn't there, I would be blithely going about doing these things which clearly aren't optimal for my health. Thanks for getting me to think about it in a different way; smelly breath can be fixed by removing the culprit; but no indication of this can lead to much further problems down the road. I almost love my little tonsil stones now. Almost.

I have given this tonsil stone issue a lot of thought. And from my observations I get the most stones when I am in the "sweet spot" of thyroid supplementing. Meaning, no stress hormones, great sleep, feeling good, etc. So my take is that my immune system will also be working the best at that time, therefor creating more stones because the tonsils are working better.

This is only my observations and conjecture. Not too much science behind it. :lol:

4peatssake

You could try brushing and rinsing with activated charcoal. It also really whitens the teeth!
Oil pulling and brushing with baking soda works too but for strong odor I think charcoal would get good results.

Foul or unpleasant odors can fall into several categories including:

halitosis or bad breath stemming from poor oral health or indigestion
flatulence or intestinal gas
vaginal odors
colostomies or ileostomies
infected wounds
odors from body casts, foot and body odors
perfumes and scented products (people with sensitivities or allergies)
chemical odors such as in photo labs
pet odors
moldy musty basement smells
animal barns
skunks

In cases where individuals have lost part of their bowels, gas odors can be a problem. Some take charcoal internally to help control flatulence. Others use stoma bags that are specially designed with charcoal filters to adsorb any odors.

Inflammations can abscess and, along with injuries and postoperative wounds, can become infected. They in turn can produce very unpleasant odors. These odors are the result of destruction of the tissue by bacteria. Just as charcoal is used industrially to adsorb artificial gases, it is also very effective in controlling wound odors. In fact the first recoded medicinal use of charcoal was recorded 1500 B.C. when it was used to adsorb unpleasant odors from putrefying wounds. But charcoal does more than just adsorb the foul smells from wounds, it may also stop the very process of decay that causes the odors.
Charcoal Remedies

OP
C

caroline

Hmm, very interesting. Well, it is gone after just OJ and salt, and raw yolk seems to have been fine as well. But that is very good to know about charcoal in the future. Thanks for reminding me about baking soda. I have been using it as an ergogenic aid after reading about Cliff's supplementation with it. I will have some now, since I'm going to do some weights. (With my husband's several gallon water bottles that he uses for surfing.)

All it took was the OJ and the salt and it vanished, thank goodness.

OP
C

caroline

So you mean that it is an alert system of sorts that works best when your thyroid is humming along in top form? Interesting.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
caroline said:
So you mean that it is an alert system of sorts that works best when your thyroid is humming along in top form? Interesting.

I think its an intricate part of the immune system that works better when metabolic rate improves.

OP
C

caroline

Just in case anyone else had this issue, I have figured out it was the cooked egg. Removed that and did not do cheese and everything was fine. Playing detective and then removing the suspected cause--) rather than looking for ways to continue consuming it and merely eliminate the effect (weird breath) by some sort of neutralizing method (which can be done). The smell went away when I didn't consume the item.

With elimination, you are not quashing the helpful alarm signal that Charlie describes (tonsil stones) in order to continue doing something that is harmful to health. I am not that attached to eating anything in particular on this diet b/c it feels so balancing so I don't care if I have to eliminate things since the prime constituents in this diet work great for me. Starch is not a must-have.

Sweet-no problem.
Eggs-only uncooked
Cheese/Potato - still Suspect

pboy

I commend. I basically did the same thing and came to the same conclusions with eggs...it occurred to me when I realized things like garlic onion and chili, and cruciferous vegetables pertrude their smell through you after you consume them. I was like dam, eggs smell kind of bad...no joke, and when wind escaped, it smelled the same. I figure if something stinks or gives gas its a pretty clear indicator not to eat it, at least to me...or at the very least its socially polite