Cpap - Co2 - TheraVent - Apnea

stcrim

I don't think there is any question I hyperventilate in my sleep probably when I am awake too. I use a Cpap and can rarely get my AHI below 7 or 8 with one exception. (AHI is the amount of apnea and/or reduced breathing events per hour). There is a little device called a TheraVent that allows one to breathe in normally but greatly restricts the exhalation thus greatly slowing the breathing.

When I wear a TheraVent in a full face mask while on Cpap my AHI drops to or below 1.0. I believe this is because the reduced breathing generates a lot of Co2. In turn the Co2 helps generate Nitric Oxide which opens everything up.

I have also made a simple device that mimics Buteyko breathing by using 1 inch 3M waterproof tape and used it. Cut a piece that a little over 2 inches long. Using a leather punch open holes at the nostril locations that are between 2 and 4.5mm. Bigger is more comfortable at first. Wash and dry your nose and tape it on. Your nose breathing is instantly restricted like Buteyko breathing.

By the way, is there a trick to bag breathing or is it just a matter of holding a paper bag over your nose and mouth and breathing?

tara

:welcome stcrim
and interesting, thanks for the report.
Are you saying you routinely use all of these devices at the same time at night - CPAP, theravent, and nose tape? Or are you using the nose tape during the day when you can keep your mouth shut consciously?
I have never had apnea that I know of, but used to habitually mouth breathe. I got some improvements by taping my mouth at night for more than a year, and now I seem to maintain nasal breathing without tape most of the time.
I seldom get a round to bag-breathing - yes, I think it is just rebreathing air in a paper bag help over your mouth and nose. I might try your nose tape idea as as simple way to raise CO2, since it would leave hands free to do other things. I like nice simple technological solutions like that. :)

OP
S

stcrim

At night I tape my mouth shut, put on a TheraVent, and one of several Cpap masks. (I am within 10 pounds of my ideal weight) Weight is not a factor in my Apnea. I think a large part of it is due to over breathing along with having tonsils that are a bit over-sized. I assume when I over breath and wash out the Co2 that causes the throat to collapse.

What brought me here was Ray Peat's take of carbon dioxide. I do not agree with his take on sugar since I "was" a pre-diabetic but corrected that with a very low carb diet. If sugar is part of the recipe I'm in trouble.

I have used the 3m waterproof tape with holes at the nostrils at night but mostly it's for daytime increase of Co2. It clears up any existing congestion and opens up everything as evidenced when the tape is removed. After removal I can breath with zero obstruction for about 30 additional minutes.

tara

Ta. I found Peat via learning about CO2 and Buteyko, too.
If I've understood Peat correctly on this, I think he says oxidising sugar produces more CO2 per oxygen than burning fat. There are a number of factors that can be tried to improve ability to oxidise glucose. Going high fat instead isn't one of them, as far as I can tell.
He has talked about
- minimising PUFA
- ensuring plentiful minerals
- brewers yeast extract and maybe other B-vitamins
- Randle cycle
You might find thebigpeatowski's log interesting.
Have you Peat's his articles on sugar and diabetes?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals