High Breathing Rate At Night Only

teds

Forum Supporter
Recently started monitoring my sleep. A good nights sleep tends to look like:

Deep- 26%
REM- 20%
Light- 54%

Between 7-9 hours most nights. My rem used to be around 14% but I started taking Lions Mane at night and it kicked up significantly. I’ve never been one ‘to dream’ and now I definitely register dreaming so that’s nice.

Anyway, my respiratory rate always sits between 19-21.. which seems high to me. Last night I used a snore tracking device (out of curiosity) and while I don’t snore () I managed to have the opportunity to hear my breathing.. it does seem fast. If I was listening to someone else breath like that i’d be concerned..

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Is it something to try to shift or am I being dramatic?

I’m a nasal breather. Generally slow through the day. My job requires me to be very aware of my breathing so I’ve focused on it for some time. Any thoughts would be welcome. Many thanks.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Technically 12-20 is a normal respiratory rate. Our body should regulate the rate fairly well. If you aren’t having symptoms I don’t think I’d worry too much about it honestly.

tara

If you are well, and waking up rested, it may be fine, as Blossom says.

If not, you could consider checking whether there are factors that drive hyperventilation while sleeping. If so, it may be possible to improve on them.
  • When you say you are a nasal breather, do you know this applies at night? If you don't have a way to confirm this, you can use a chin strap or something to help make sure.
  • Do you overheat while sleeping? Or get too cold? If you think it's a possibility, experiment.
  • Is your glycogen holding out through the night, so you don't get big stress spikes from low blood sugar?
  • Good mineral intake? Enough magnesium etc?
  • Are you sleeping on your back? Side or front tends to be less vulnerable to hyperventilation.
I don't know about the effects of lion's mane, or any other supps you may be using.

Noodlz2

When I'm falling asleep, if I'm breathing fast (not too fast), steadily, and, most importantly, easily (it feels like I'm moving air with minimal effort), I know I'll sleep well. I think plentiful, clean air is more important at night than during the day. Probably because we can consciously (or sub consciously) change our breathing patterns or location during the day when the air is suboptimal (not clean, not plentiful, like in a car), but we are mostly stuck with what we have at night. If you are breathing a lot at night but don't feel like there's anything wrong with the air, then you're probably ok. If breathing quickly stresses you out, try adjusting your neck and bedding so the airflow is unhindered. I bet that will either decrease your breathing rate (breathing faster may be compensating for a lack or air) or you'll continue breathing fast and feel relaxed (your capacity for using air for physiological purposes is probably at a high, and providing more air will make you better off).

OP
teds

teds

Forum Supporter
Thanks everyone. I’ll continue to monitor. @tara I sleep on my side. I’ve never woken with my mouth open but I guess I could use tape to make sure. I don’t have a dry mouth or anything but it’s worth experimenting with. I do mostly wake refreshed. Just sometimes too early but that’s a journey with the health that I’m on (as we all are in some way I guess :))

Thanks for the responses.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@teds, I’d be interested to see if your respiratory rate would be any different at night if you refrained from purposefully slowing your breathing during the day. If you ever do that experiment please let me know the outcome.:):

OP
teds

teds

Forum Supporter
@teds, I’d be interested to see if your respiratory rate would be any different at night if you refrained from purposefully slowing your breathing during the day. If you ever do that experiment please let me know the outcome.:):
I wouldn’t say I purposefully slow it down but more have a strong awareness of it when I’m working (body worker). In fact I sometimes match my breathing to the patient to connect in with their system.. it that can be challenging if people are super stressed.. :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I wouldn’t say I purposefully slow it down but more have a strong awareness of it when I’m working (body worker). In fact I sometimes match my breathing to the patient to connect in with their system.. it that can be challenging if people are super stressed.. :)
I do the same...I thought I was the only one who thought of it as stressful!!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals