A Week Off From Peating

DavidGardner

It started with the tofu. Horrible sentence to begin with, I know. Over the summer up until last week I have maintained a lower PUFA, Peatier diet than ever in the past. Only supplements have been vitamin E when eating too much PUFA, vitamin K2 with a lot of calcium, glycine occasionally at night, and activated charcoal occasionally for gut. I was eating cheese, some whey and gelatin, for protein, no muscle meat, sometimes milk. More starch than sugar, especially white rice with coconut oil. Most of my fat, about 40 - 70 g / day, was coming from cheese, coconut oil, or Kerrygold butter. Raw carrot every day. Coffee every day. Some fruit with honey at night, but usually not a lot. Average 3700 kcal a day, 5' 7", 30 y/o male, 160 lbs, yada yada. (I know some like stats before making any considerations.)

I got burnt out on dairy. I have also been having tremors a lot lately, which a neurologist told me was caused by stress and not essential tremor or Parkinson's and I wanted to see if eating less dairy would make a difference. Not eating meat limits my options, so last Wednesday for the first time in a long time I tried tofu again. There was a noticeable stress response each time a ate it (a couple times) which subsided with taking 100 IU vitamin E. Then came a wedding rehearsal dinner last Friday and the wedding on Saturday, which of course entailed PUFA-laden eats. And since then I have been off the Peat wagon.

In part, I have been challenging my own beliefs. The dominant ideas in the medical community are that PUFA should be eaten in place of saturated fat, sugar should be limited, and whole grains with soluble fiber make good staple foods. So I have consciously tried eating more this way to see what would happen, because it has been so long since I have done so. Also, weirdly you might think, I do crave whole grains sometimes....

The biggest thing I have noticed is that I feel puffy. I have to take vitamin E, I do so compulsively whenever I have eaten a few grams of PUFA or more at a time, otherwise I become distressed unless I am in a comfortable social setting. I have been drinking more coffee with less of an adrenergic effect. The coffee seems to somewhat counteract the inflammatory reaction of the PUFA, which I have intuitively known since even before I knew anything about Peat's ideas.

I have no desire now to return to eating dairy fat. I don't feel bad, in fact I feel better in some ways. I have had far fewer tremors and fewer physical symptoms of anxiety (heavy breathing, etc.). Blood flow seems improved <ahem> though this may in part be due to all the vitamin E. Workouts have also been better.

I am probably going to try shifting to more calories from fruit (it's just so frickin' expensive compared to grains). I think I'll stay off the dairy, except for one whey isolate serving per day, which I have found vastly helps me with maintaining lean mass. Fat just from coconut. The problem remains where to get the protein. Cooked meat in any form worsens my tremors. Too much gelatin makes me cold and dysphoric. I guess I could eat some egg whites so long as I track and watch the tryptophan. If I can eat enough potatoes, I know Peat likes potato protein as well.

Maybe one takeaway from this is that I could use more consistent vitamin E supplementation, like 200 IU / day, instead of an occasional 100 IU. Also, regardless of what anyone here say, I am aware that increased serotonin (from PUFA or whatever) can mask the psychophysiological symptoms of stress through activation of the 5-HT1A receptor which in turn increases beta-endorphin. Nature's buffer against stress.

Or maybe we're all wrong here, and whole grains and almonds are the way to go. :p:

OP
D

DavidGardner

Yeah, I can definitely feel it now. I haven't eaten yet this morning, but I've had about 40 oz of coffee and barely feel a thing from it. My face and throat and even my brain feel swollen. Everything feels heavy, not stressed, just kind of in a fog. I ate whole wheat bread, oatmeal and almonds yesterday, a lot like how I used to eat. And I feel the way I used to feel.

Ready to end this experiment.

L

lollipop

Interesting @DavidGardner. Not sure I could willing take a week off anymore. It has been about 2 1/2 years in Peat Inspired diet and seriously have never felt better. Occasionally a meal out for a social occasion and the next morning I am sooooooo happy to have Peat in my life - lol. It is enough to remind me. ❤️

642354362443534.PNG

Press F to pay respects

Luann

I honestly don't recommend the egg whites because I did a couple of those a day for a little bit and just felt nasty and tight in the chest after them. And there's no value to them except the protein. It's the same thing as eating a box of Mike and Ike's and calling it food...one macronutrient (sugar) and nothing else.

But to look at your big picture I would kindly recommend you step back from the Peat template and take your problems to cronometer if you haven't done so. Find the one or two or five nutrients you're missing and have been missing for weeks.

Dairy fat is like the egg whites, it's just candy and calories. The progesterone and small amount of vitamin A and stuff in it can all be found in other foods or made in the body. You're better off without a lot of it.

Good luck, oh and I like your starting sentence a lot.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals