Recovering from coffee overdose

Green Dot

Hi everyone, first of all, Happy New Years.

As of typing this, I still feel off, so pardon any errors.

So a few days back, I believe I had too much coffee, and as a result, had a panic attack. I haven’t really felt the same since then. I feel much, much duller, I also feel dizzy at times.

Diet wise, hardly any starches, typical Peaty menu, I’m sipping as much fruit juice as I crave to repair my glycogen stores, or at least I think.

How should I go on about to go back to “normal”?

Demyze

sodium

AlaskaJono

Also fats are important. Have a Greek Salad with lots of good olive oil and Danish Feta. Or Roast Lamb with potatoes and sweet potatoes. Salt n Peppa, some chile and the usual Italian herbs. Mmmmm. Then sleep. You will wake up a new person.

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Green Dot

Green Dot

I feel as if I’ve really messed up, my cortisol is constantly through the roof.

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

could this be “withdrawl” symptoms? I haven’t had as much since then.

Demyze

Hi everyone, first of all, Happy New Years.

As of typing this, I still feel off, so pardon any errors.

So a few days back, I believe I had too much coffee, and as a result, had a panic attack. I haven’t really felt the same since then. I feel much, much duller, I also feel dizzy at times.

Diet wise, hardly any starches, typical Peaty menu, I’m sipping as much fruit juice as I crave to repair my glycogen stores, or at least I think.

How should I go on about to go back to “normal”?
this article is informative, I found it helpful. Perhaps you will as well;
Coffee Done Right – Tips to Help Avoid Coffee Intolerance – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Xemnoraq

a large stressful event can severly deplete glycogen (along with other vitamins)
I consume milk with copious amounts of sugar added, i find adding an insane amount of white sugar to milk very effective at eliminating the stress response, Ray has also mentioned too sometimes it takes a very unrealistic amount of sugar to break the stress response or restore glycogen, for example if i have a coffee where one quarter of the cup is filled with sugar, (equivalent of ordering a medium coffee with 12 sugar) rather than getting a stress response from coffee i could fall asleep i feel so relaxed, i think a large amount of sugar with milk is really helpful at recovering, the calcium in milk as well as just the good balance of stuff is pretty effective at lowering FFA and restoring glycogen allowing you to relax just my 2C

redsun

could this be “withdrawl” symptoms? I haven’t had as much since then.
Yes it is. If you consistently drink a certain amount of caffeine than your adenosine receptors upregulated based on that amount. If you had a suddenly high amount but then stopped caffeine intake to almost zero instead of going back to your normal intake you will start to go through withdrawal.

mostlylurking

Thanks, guys. I feel terrible, almost like I’m dying at times.
Also feel like I’ve lost my coordination.
Coffee blocks thiamine function. You may find it helpful to take some thiamine.

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Yes it is. If you consistently drink a certain amount of caffeine than your adenosine receptors upregulated based on that amount. If you had a suddenly high amount but then stopped caffeine intake to almost zero instead of going back to your normal intake you will start to go through withdrawal.
Yeah, in hindsight, I over-did it, then under-did it.
Coffee blocks thiamine function. You may find it helpful to take some thiamine.

I see. +1

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

a large stressful event can severly deplete glycogen (along with other vitamins)
I consume milk with copious amounts of sugar added, i find adding an insane amount of white sugar to milk very effective at eliminating the stress response, Ray has also mentioned too sometimes it takes a very unrealistic amount of sugar to break the stress response or restore glycogen, for example if i have a coffee where one quarter of the cup is filled with sugar, (equivalent of ordering a medium coffee with 12 sugar) rather than getting a stress response from coffee i could fall asleep i feel so relaxed, i think a large amount of sugar with milk is really helpful at recovering, the calcium in milk as well as just the good balance of stuff is pretty effective at lowering FFA and restoring glycogen allowing you to relax just my 2C
Thanks, I'm adding large amounts of sugar to my coffee for now on. I always added milk and sugar, but I guess it still wasn't enough.

Xemnoraq

really? i've never experienced what i would call a caffiene withdrawl? whats's it supposed to feel like? i know some people go crazy if they don't have their coffee and they feel addicted, and for me alot of the times i dont have one cause i forget to make one but its always "ah a coffee would be nice right now" but theres never this like desparate "oh i need a coffee! i haven't had it so i feel like ***t" kind of thing, thats interesting though

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

really? i've never experienced what i would call a caffiene withdrawl? whats's it supposed to feel like? i know some people go crazy if they don't have their coffee and they feel addicted, and for me alot of the times i dont have one cause i forget to make one but its always "ah a coffee would be nice right now" but theres never this like desparate "oh i need a coffee! i haven't had it so i feel like ***t" kind of thing, thats interesting though
I think Haidut or Peat has spoken about a cyproheptadine (and thyroid) as a “cure” for addiction and withdrawals in general, so I guess it’s just a state of high serotonin, maybe a similar feeling to serotonin syndrome?

redsun

It really depends on your own neurotransmitters and brain chemistry. Also, your adenosine receptors upregulate over time to caffeine intake. If you consume it very infrequently they won't upregulate much if at all. But if you do, thats when withdrawal hits. The higher amounts of adenosine receptors you have than suddenly bind adenosine instead of caffeine thus you get a lot of withdrawal symptoms because the firing of excitatory neurotransmitters strongly decreases.

So people dont experience the negatively effects for some reason because of their brain chemistry like I said.

I think Haidut or Peat has spoken about a cyproheptadine (and thyroid) as a “cure” for addiction and withdrawals in general, so I guess it’s just a state of high serotonin, maybe a similar feeling to serotonin syndrome?
It doesnt cure anything. It just reduces pleasure and overall motivation (including motivation to "addictions") by strongly reducing histaminergic activity (which indirectly reduces glutamatergic and dopaminergic activity). Withdrawal depends on what you are withdrawing from. Caffeine withdrawal is due to adenosine upregulation mainly but also upregulation of serotonin, GABA, cholinergic receptors, and downregulation of beta receptors. So during withdrawal, you will have more serotonin, gaba, and cholinergic activity and less dopamine and adrenergic activity.

Luann

Hope you start feeling better Green Dot
More than a cup of coffee makes me feel poorly.
I wanted to add to what Demyze posted about "Coffee done right"
This thread describes tea drinking among a culture in Kazakhstan
reportedly, they drink a lot, but tea has less caffeine than coffee, and it is broken up into smaller doses through the day. they also add milk, fat and salt!
I want to try taking caffeine in this manner. good luck to you

InChristAlone

Been through this many times. The only thing that really helps is time. Your nerves are sensitized. It takes time to make them less sensitive. But if you are now prone to panic from caffeine it is best to minimize it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals