Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

paymanz

Anyone can get a b12 deficiency because anyone can have problems with something called "intrinsic factor."

Peat said "Normally the bacteria can provide enough, but it's good to have some in the food too, for example milk."

I know someone who didn't take a b12 supplement for over 20 years while on no animal foods. It took them over two decades to show an MMA deficiency.

You should have routine blood work once a year anyways. In that you'll be able to see how your b12/MMA is. It's unlikely that you'll become b12 deficient in a year.

I am but only for health purposes. I don't care about animals or the planet. Meet me in person and I'll run over a squirrel to prove that I don't do it "for the animals". Of course what happens to them is horrible but I'm not interested in wasting my precious time trying to save them. I say that because people accuse me of being a "vegan" with an "agenda." People who say that have a low IQ. As far as the planet and food production, it's the same. I'm not interested in controlling people. I don't eat 100% vegan as of right now but I'm going to be experimenting with it soon. If it turns out that I can do it then I would rather do it because it's simpler to find quality, low-toxin foods. Plus it's cheaper. "Veganism" is a world and political view that has to do with things outside of diet. These people are leftists (which really they aren't, they've just redefined what it means to be a liberal or a leftist. Liberal comes from the word "Liberty" but they've hijacked it and redefined it) so I don't want anything t do with them. I just do it for selfish purposes. I want to feel good and hopefully live long and then when I die, go to sleep and not wake up, avoiding the years and pain and suffering that happens to most people.
Have you ever elaborated what health benefits are attainable with vegan diet in your previous post? If not im interest to know,maybe in a new thread.

What health benefits that needs to avoid meat?

DaveFoster

@milk_lover

Ray Peat said:
"Those steroids can be absorbed through any skin, and I think the arms or legs would be better. I don’t think it’s a good idea to put anything odd into the proximity of testes or ovaries, and since I think even the purest DMSO will hold only about 3 or 4% of a steroid like DMSO in solution, the effect of the solvent might be greater than that of the DMSO [maybe he meant the steroid here]. Taking the DMSO powder orally is very effective, too."

This is kinda confusing....I guess if you substitute DHEA for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th DMSO word in what he wrote he is saying that if you're making a DHEA solution in DMSO it can only reach a ~4% concentration before precipitating out and that if DHEA in DMSO is applied topically then the effect of the DMSO would be greater than the effect if the DHEA???
He told me something similar when told about the sedating effect of a single drop of progesterone dissolved in DMSO: that the DMSO itself has a relaxing effect, (which I'm assuming would be due to its anti-inflammatory properties.)

J

jb116

Anyone can get a b12 deficiency because anyone can have problems with something called "intrinsic factor."

Peat said "Normally the bacteria can provide enough, but it's good to have some in the food too, for example milk."

I know someone who didn't take a b12 supplement for over 20 years while on no animal foods. It took them over two decades to show an MMA deficiency.

You should have routine blood work once a year anyways. In that you'll be able to see how your b12/MMA is. It's unlikely that you'll become b12 deficient in a year.

I am but only for health purposes. I don't care about animals or the planet. Meet me in person and I'll run over a squirrel to prove that I don't do it "for the animals". Of course what happens to them is horrible but I'm not interested in wasting my precious time trying to save them. I say that because people accuse me of being a "vegan" with an "agenda." People who say that have a low IQ. As far as the planet and food production, it's the same. I'm not interested in controlling people. I don't eat 100% vegan as of right now but I'm going to be experimenting with it soon. If it turns out that I can do it then I would rather do it because it's simpler to find quality, low-toxin foods. Plus it's cheaper. "Veganism" is a world and political view that has to do with things outside of diet. These people are leftists (which really they aren't, they've just redefined what it means to be a liberal or a leftist. Liberal comes from the word "Liberty" but they've hijacked it and redefined it) so I don't want anything t do with them. I just do it for selfish purposes. I want to feel good and hopefully live long and then when I die, go to sleep and not wake up, avoiding the years and pain and suffering that happens to most people.

"...show an MMA deficiency."

I think you meant MMA increase.

paymanz

"Is there any modern/futurist technology project that captured your attention, and you think it can actually improve the condition of humanity?"

RP: "Solar, wind, and ocean (tidal, wave, and thermoelectric) electric power production; dirigible and good rail transportation

Nice but those electric energy sources means lots of EMF production, i wondering what he thinks about that?!

For example an electric car,with that powerful engine!

raypeatclips

Q: What do you think is the safest approach to raising DHEA levels in a male that has below reference range DHEA according to testing?

A: Sometimes supplementing pregnenolone can do it, but 5 mg of DHEA is safe, if your thyroid, vitamin D, and other tests are normal.

Is this to say, DHEA is unsafe, if thyroid or vitamin D blood tests are out of range/not where they should be?

Nice but those electric energy sources means lots of EMF production, i wondering what he thinks about that?!

For example an electric car,with that powerful engine!

I was more wondering about the dirigibles. What does he mean? Are they even used as a mean of transportation? I'm so ignorant about it, lol but those are very uncommon. Interesting about rail transportation though. Japan and Germany are working on trains that are almost as fast as airplanes. Check out MagLev

Mito

Is this to say, DHEA is unsafe, if thyroid or vitamin D blood tests are out of range/not where they should be?
I’m not sure if that’s what he meant or if it’s just that it’s preferable to raise DHEA through endogenous synthesis (via adequate thyroid activity)?

goodandevil

Q:"For someone supplementing testosterone, what is the best way (injection, gel, undecanoate)?"

Ray: "The undecanoate form hasn’t been researched adequately in animals; the solvents used for injection are always toxic to some degree; I think using pure testosterone, dissolved in an oil such as vitamin E or olive oil, on the oral membranes, is the safest and most efficient. Used that way, one or two milligrams per day has a powerful effect."

haidut

Forum Supporter
Still on Airplanes/dirigibles/transportation conversation:

"A couple quick questions: when you mention good rail transportation, do you mean super fast trains like the MagLev (goes up to 600km/hour in the latest tests) that are being projected by Germany and Japan?

About dirigibles: I can only read their use been declining in the past decades. Do you mean using them as a mean of transportation? In the public opinion, airplanes aren't problematic, and are preferred over dirigibles. Am I missing something?"
cleardot.gif

"Public opinion is formed to optimize profits. Even hydrogen-filled dirigibles are safe and cheap, and rapid change of time zones is seriously stressful. In 1937, the Germans were leading in commercial aviation, and the US government was subsidizing domestic airlines to carry mail, permitting them to also carry a few paying passengers. The Hindenburg disaster was essential for the development of a US owned air passenger industry. People had been reluctant to fly for safety reasons, as well as cost. The dirigibles took just over two days to cross, and provided beds and high quality dining, for $400. The first US transatlantic airline cost $375, people had to sit up for more than 24 hours, and only a few passengers were carried along with the mail. The efficiency of airlines is analogous to the efficiency of nuclear power, i.e., it rests on government subsidies. A few days ago, the Amtrack accident was the result of trying to save ten minutes on the trip from Seattle to Portland. When government money is involved, people go crazy."

That's interesting. I did not know he does not like flying. I also hate it, but possibly for a different reason - safety. I think the safety of airplanes is not nearly as high as we are being led to believe. For example - flying in an airplane would be much safer if it was done at an altitude of say no more than 10,000 - 12,000 feet where the air is still relatively thick. However, that would raise fuel consumption due to friction (and pressure on the rotor, which increases as the square of speed of rotation) to a level where ticket prices would have to rise a LOT just to cover cost of flight. So, instead the airplanes (long distance flights) fly at 30,000 feet or higher where the air is really rarefied and fuel consumption is much lower, but the risk of the plane stalling and literally dropping out of the sky is MUCH higher. In fact, on long distance flights planes fly at an altitude where a mere 300-500 feet increase in altitude will cause stalling, form which it is very difficult to recover a massive plane like a B'777 or Airbus 380.
If you exchange some more emails with him on this topic I would be interested in hearing him elaborate more in airplane safety and why he does not like flying.

Regina

That's interesting. I did not know he does not like flying. I also hate it, but possibly for a different reason - safety. I think the safety of airplanes is not nearly as high as we are being led to believe. For example - flying in an airplane would be much safer if it was done at an altitude of say no more than 10,000 - 12,000 feet where the air is still relatively thick. However, that would raise fuel consumption due to friction (and pressure on the rotor, which increases as the square of speed of rotation) to a level where ticket prices would have to rise a LOT just to cover cost of flight. So, instead the airplanes (long distance flights) fly at 30,000 feet or higher where the air is really rarefied and fuel consumption is much lower, but the risk of the plane stalling and literally dropping out of the sky is MUCH higher. In fact, on long distance flights planes fly at an altitude where a mere 300-500 feet increase in altitude will cause stalling, form which it is very difficult to recover a massive plane like a B'777 or Airbus 380.
If you exchange some more emails with him on this topic I would be interested in hearing him elaborate more in airplane safety and why he does not like flying.

Last edited:

Dhair

My brother (ex-marine pilot) works for the FFA now. When I tell him I am flying, he asks if there is any way I could drive?
Oh come on. My dad has worked in aviation for over 30 years (maintenance). We always joke about how irrational the fear of flying is. Your brother has to understand that the odds of you dying in car wreck on your way to see him are exponentially greater than having an accident on a commercial flight. I think people just find the mental image of a giant machine falling out of the sky to be much more terrifying than many other accidents that one could imagine.

Regina

Oh come on. My dad has worked in aviation for over 30 years (maintenance). We always joke about how irrational the fear of flying is. Your brother has to understand that the odds of you dying in car wreck on your way to see him are exponentially greater than having an accident on a commercial flight. I think people just find the mental image of a giant machine falling out of the sky to be much more terrifying than many other accidents that one could imagine.

Last edited:

Dhair

Haha. Not really.
What do you mean?
From Google: " In fact, the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000."

Regina

What do you mean?
From Google: " In fact, the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000."

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals