PROJECT 18 ( FULL): Heart, Brain, Cancer, And Hormones; Our Own Health And Fitness Show, 2014

burtlancast

(NEW: After posting your transcription, in an effort to save time for everybody, please drop a PM to the member due to verify your part ( when possible).)
To save yourself some serious time during transcribing, please first visit this short updated FAQ : START HERE: FAQ :transcribing advice (last update: 9 nov) | Ray Peat Forum (this FAQ was last updated on: 9 nov)

Post here to claim a part for you to transcribe, and it will be yours. Check further down this thread to see which parts remain to be trancribed.

You can transcribe multiple parts; but in order to facilitate the attribution process for verifying , please avoid transcribing adjacents parts ( ex: do parts 1 and 3 instead of parts 1 and 2)

Please don't forget to EDIT YOUR INITIAL POST and include BOTH TRANSCRIBED and VERIFIED parts. This will keep localized inside the thread each volunteer's work.

Each of your post should include thus at least these 3 lines:
-Part 1 for Burt
- Link for transcribed part 1: MEGA ... WDN356wsbY
- Link for verification of part 2: MEGA ... WDN356wsbY

Once the parts have been verified, no more work is needed from anyone. The final piecing together of all parts into a full transcript will be done by Loess.

Only post here to claim a part and to upload your finished files.
Comments can be posted at: Comments for TRANSCRIPT PROJECTS | Ray Peat Forum

Lenght: 50 min
Name: Heart, Brain, Cancer, and Hormones; Our Own Health And Fitness show, 29-7-2014
Download link: : https://raypeatforum.com/community/...729-heart-brain-cancer-and-hormones-mp3.1096/

Part 1: for Burtlancast MEGA
Part 2: for Marteagal: MEGA
Part 3: for Burtlancast: MEGA
Part 4: for Marteagal: MEGA
Part 5: for Burtlancast: MEGA
Part 6: for Marteagal: MEGA

Attached to this post are all individual parts, if one cannot use Mega.

Attachments

• 1.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • 2.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 3.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 4.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 5.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 6.mp3
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Part 1 for Burt

LB: Welcome to your own health and fitness show. I’m health and nutritionist Layna Berman. If you are a woman or a man benefiting from the use of bio-identical progesterone, you have today’s guest to thank. I’m grateful to him for starting me on my path, after hearing him lecture at UCSF about early animal research on helplessness. That’s when I understood the importance of learning enough to be at the center of my own health care, and not at the mercy of a long term treatment plan. That was about 30 years ago, and it’s formed my work these many years later. This radio program is designed to introduce you to critical thinking about science and what promotes the capacity to live fully, embracing a complexity of ideas that will challenge the current ecclesiastic convention in health care. Challenging ideas is what you’ll hear in this next hour with Doctor Raymond Peat. We will talk about heart, brain, cancer and hormones. I’m very pleased to introduce you to our guest, doctor Raymond Peat. He has a PhD in biology from the University of Oregon, with a specialization in philosophy. He has taught at the University of Oregon, Urbana College, Montana State University, National College of Naturopathic Medecine, Universidad Veracruzana, the Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, and Blake College. He also conducts private nutritional counseling.

Doctor Peat first started his work with progesterone and related hormones in 1968, in papers in physiological chemistry and physics, 1971-1972. In his dissertation at the University of Oregon in 1972, he outlined his ideas regarding progesterone and the hormones closely related to it as protection of the body’s structure and energy against the harmful effects of estrogen - yes, I’ve said estrogen - , radiation, stress, and lack of oxygen. The key idea that underlines doctor’s Peat’s work is that energy and structure are interdependent at every level.

Welcome to you, Raymond!

RP: Hello. These commentaries got me thinking about how I happened to gravitate in the direction of those hormones. In the fifties, you know, the political situation was totally desperate. But the beginning of democratic movements, around 1960, coincided with changes in science. And I hadn’t considered going in to science during the fifties because the science was so politicized, and basically oriented towards militarism. And the psychiatrists were working on things such as lobotomies, and electroshocks, and torturing animals to see what happened. And in 1960, the opposite interest developed, in which rats were put into an enriched environment. And they discovered they became more intelligent. And their brains even enlarged! And that enlargement was passed on to the next generations, growing with each generation. And that got me interested in science; I thought science had some real possibilities if it could be integrated with social stimulation, nutrition, and so on. So, I went to University thinking to study brain biology. But I found that the brain biologists were totally doctrinaire, looking to the government’s grants for their approval, basically (of whether they should go into a certain direction; a mechanical kind of thinking). So I went over to the other end, reproduction. And saw that stress, and aging, and radiation injury, (which had been an interest of mine in the 1950’s, because of the bomb tests), all of these kinds of stresses and injuries created the same situation which, essentially, was a brain shrinking process. The follow-up of the 1960’s studies at Berkeley, in which freedom enrichment enlarged the brain, they tested different hormones during pregnancy, and found that stress shrinked the brain. And that overlapped with some of the torture experiments that had begun in the 50’s. But by the 1970’s, when I had finished my dissertation and research on the aging effects of progesterone and estrogen, the culture had shifted away from that. And basically, medicine and biology couldn’t see the connection between enriched growth of the brain and suffering causing shrinkage of the brain, and inability to help oneself. Learned helplessness goes with shrinking of the brain.

LB: On the subject of learned helplessness, the New York Times published an article about a new study concerning urban animals (rats, mice’s, bats) whose brains are growing, and becoming smarter because, the researchers conclude, they’re living in an urban environment and they are being forced to think harder about where to find food and all the stuff. That can’t quite be right, because, in effect,…

RP: Wild animals have bigger brains than domesticated ones.

LB: They are reporting that these urban animals are suddenly becoming smarter because they have to work so hard to get food. But I’m thinking that in the 1700’s, in London, they had to get food too. They don’t mention the fact that urban environments will also give them shorter lives. So, it was a very selective piece of reporting that seemed to indicate that they believe that just putting people in urban environments, which is the trend these days…

RP: Well, I imagine, the rats in Europe are eating better than they had at other times, when it was harder…

LB: Could be. Let me say again before the break here that you are listening to your own health and fitness show, and that I’m on the phone today with Ray Peat, PhD. And you’ll find, as you’re listening to the show, that he’s a very provocative and very interesting biology professor and researcher.

Conventional medicine, as you‘ve just said, is only interested in prevention as early intervention, and doing invasive things of various sorts to prevent people from dying of heart disease and cancer. But the rate of these diseases, as you pointed out in your papers and newsletters are climbing. And they tend to be somewhat lower in people in the third world, which are not getting treated as much, which is ironic. You have a different way of thinking about what makes people vulnerable. And the helplessness stuff, which really caught my attention and got me thinking, years ago when I heard you speak. You’ve just send some abstracts about helplessness; everybody has heard me talk about the research where they threw rats into vents of water to see whether they would keep swimming if they were held long enough for them to give up. If they were held for a while and put back in, they would swim to save their lives for any length of time. If they were held beyond that point, they would give up.

- Link for verification of part 2: MEGA

Last edited:

marteagal

Part 2 for marteagal

- Link for transcribed part 2: MEGA
- Link for verification of part 3: MEGA

Last edited:

marteagal

Part 4 for marteagal

- Link for transcribed part 4: MEGA
- Link for verification of part 5: MEGA

Last edited: