Photobiomodulation and the influence of light on thyroid status

Mauritio

Photobiomodulation/Photoperiodism and the influence of light on thyroid status

Here is a collection of studies showing how the amount of light we receive every day infleunces our body's metabolism. Our bodies anticipate the season by amount of light we get and changes the metabolism accordingly. Obviously a "summer metabolism" would be more favorable, so there is a way to use this information to suggest to your body that it is summer.

1. - Short light exposure leads to lower T3 levels
- Supplementing T3 can at least partially restore the "summer metabolism" and make up for low light expusre

"The expression of the gene encoding type III deiodinase (Dio3) and Dio3 activity in vivo (catabolism of T(4) and T(3)) is dynamically and temporally regulated by photoperiod, consistent with the loss of hypothalamic T(3) concentrations under short photoperiods. Chronic replacement of T(3) in the hypothalamus of male hamsters exposed to short photoperiods, thus bypassing synthetic or catabolic deiodinase enzymes located in cells of the ependyma of the third ventricle, prevented the onset of short-day physiology: hamsters maintained a long-day body weight phenotype and failed to undergo testicular and epididymal regression. However, pelage moult to a winter coat was not affected. Type II deiodinase gene expression was not regulated by photoperiod in these hamsters. Collectively, these data point to a pivotal role for hypothalamic DIO3 and T(3) catabolism in seasonal cycles of body weight and reproduction in mammals."
- Hypothalamic thyroid hormone catabolism acts as a gatekeeper for the seasonal control of body weight and reproduction - PubMed

2. - Ligth increases T4 to T3 conversion
- Hypothalamic T3 levels are 10 times lower in short days vs. long days, but plasma levels stay the same

"Here we report that expression in the MBH of the gene encoding type 2 iodothyronine deiodinase (Dio2), which catalyses the intracellular deiodination of thyroxine (T4) prohormone to the active 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine (T3), is induced by light in Japanese quail.
- Light-induced hormone conversion of T4 to T3 regulates photoperiodic response of gonads in birds - PubMed

3. Long days cause TSH increase,which causes increase in DIO2 and T3

"The switch to long days causes melatonin-responsive cells in the pars tuberalis (PT) of the anterior pituitary to increase production of thyrotrophin (TSH). This acts locally on TSH-receptor-expressing cells in the adjacent mediobasal hypothalamus, leading to increased expression of type II thyroid hormone deiodinase (DIO2). DIO2 initiates the summer response by increasing hypothalamic tri-iodothyronine (T3) levels. "
- Ancestral TSH mechanism signals summer in a photoperiodic mammal - PubMed

4. DIO3, wich catabolizes T3 is decreased by long days and increased by short ones.
...type 3 deiodinase. Levels decreased after exposure to long days, but increased under short days."

5. - Again: long days increase TSH, drastically. A 700 fold increase after 30d ,why? DOI2 also increases which might balance the patholgical effects of TSH, but the increase is a lot smaller.
- T3 and T4 hypothalamic levels stay unchanged in long and short days
- Melatonin basically changes the long day into a short day metabolism
- Thyroid Hormone Signalling Genes Are Regulated by Photoperiod in the Hypothalamus of F344 Rats

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Testosterone follows the same pattern: more light, more Testosterone.

1. - Ligth increases, melatonin decreases T

2. - Increase in T, DHT and Androstenedione from a 24h(!) light exposure vs. 14h.
- Effect of photoperiod on the diurnal rhythm of plasma testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and androstenedione in mature male chickens - PubMed

3. - Long days increase Spatial learning capability and moderatly increases androgen receptor expression in the brain after 14 weeks
- Sci-Hub | Testosterone and photoperiod interact to affect spatial learning and memory in adult male white-footed mice (Peromyscus leucopus). European Journal of Neuroscience, 23(11), 3056–3062 | 10.1111/j.1460-9568.2006.04821.x

4. The performance enhancing effects of T seem to depend on light. low light hamsters that got Test injections did not change their running proclivity. In long days hamsters their running activity more than doubled!
- Testosterone and photoperiod interact to regulate locomotor activity in male hamsters - PubMed

5. - T more than doubled under longer light conditions
- Diel plasma testosterone rhythms in male Microtus montanus, the montane vole, under long and short photoperiods - PubMed

6. This study showed opposite effects for some reason.
- Photoperiod-driven changes in reproductive function in male rhesus monkeys - PubMed

Peater

An excellent thread, I am making the most of my new 150W red lamps whenever I get the chance. Just having it shining on my face with my eyes closed feels so relaxing.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
A great option for red light and infrared light/heat is:
This gives a broad spectrum emission (between 600 and 3000nm - No UV). This emission includes visible red light, NIR, MIR and a little FIR.
I use this 20 mins each, 2x a day, all winter.
I love it.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

An excellent thread, I am making the most of my new 150W red lamps whenever I get the chance. Just having it shining on my face with my eyes closed feels so relaxing.
Thanks. Sounds good.
A great option for red light and infrared light/heat is:
This gives a broad spectrum emission (between 600 and 3000nm - No UV). This emission includes visible red light, NIR, MIR and a little FIR.
I use this 20 mins each, 2x a day, all winter.
I love it.
Sounds good.
In the studies I mentioned they mostly used incandescent I think, less red light. Thats probably more feasible for 10+ h per day. I notice the biggest mood enhancing effect from just bright light. Red light seems more therapeutic in short bursts of time.

CreakyJoints

Thanks. Sounds good.

Sounds good.
In the studies I mentioned they mostly used incandescent I think, less red light. Thats probably more feasible for 10+ h per day. I notice the biggest mood enhancing effect from just bright light. Red light seems more therapeutic in short bursts of time.

I know this hardly adds much but this brief exchange I had with Ray might at least confirm your suspicions here. I've always been a bit disappointed he didn't have more to say on the subject.

Me: I've not seen many satisfactory explanations yet as to why red light therapy or photobiomodulation seems to only work up to a certain point, after which the effects are significantly reduced, if not deleterious. I was wondering a lot about this in light of your recent newsletter about HSP.

Is the issue simply a matter of overheating - and does this perhaps explain why strobing/pulsing light seems to enjoy a higher tolerance threshold? Why do you suppose there is a point at which effects are no longer noticed, what is the mechanism?

Ray: Red light of moderate wattage doesn’t warm the tissues enough to be harmful; its good effects are from restoring oxidative metabolism, and it just takes a short exposure to do that.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I know this hardly adds much but this brief exchange I had with Ray might at least confirm your suspicions here. I've always been a bit disappointed he didn't have more to say on the subject.

Me: I've not seen many satisfactory explanations yet as to why red light therapy or photobiomodulation seems to only work up to a certain point, after which the effects are significantly reduced, if not deleterious. I was wondering a lot about this in light of your recent newsletter about HSP.

Is the issue simply a matter of overheating - and does this perhaps explain why strobing/pulsing light seems to enjoy a higher tolerance threshold? Why do you suppose there is a point at which effects are no longer noticed, what is the mechanism?

Ray: Red light of moderate wattage doesn’t warm the tissues enough to be harmful; its good effects are from restoring oxidative metabolism, and it just takes a short exposure to do that.
No, thats good to know that. I think long term you're increasing the likelihood of stress reaction.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals