Effect Of Vitamin C On The Absorption Of Levothyroxine

Dotdash

The following study with Vitamin C and Hypothyroid persons taking Levothyroxine is interesting. Coupled with the study posted about Vitamin A in 25,000IU doses daily decreasing TSH, it makes me wonder why a person has to be on thyroid meds. Or, why begin with thyroid meds or increase thyroid meds before trying either of these two vitamins.

(J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99: E1031–E1034, 2014)

Background: Malabsorption of L-T4 is a major clinical problem. Changes in gastric pH caused by several medical illnesses are associated with difficulties in the control of patients with hypothyroidism receiving the hormone. Means to correct these alterations would be of clinical value.
Objectives : Our objective was to study the effect of vitamin C on the absorption of L-T4 in patients with hypothyroidism and gastritis.
Design: Thirty-one patients with hypothyroidism, 28 females age 47.513.5(meanSD) yearsand 3 males age 55.711.2 years ingested the dose of L-T4 in 120mLwater containing or not containing 500 mg vitamin C in a solution of pH 2.9 0.1 (mean SD). Serum concentrations of free T4 and TSH were measured at the end of 3 periods of 2 months each, 2 controls and 1 vitamin C. Serum total T3 was measured in 16 of the patients, before and at the end of the vitamin C period. Serum TSH and free T4 and T3 were measured by a solid-phase, enzyme-labeled chemiluminescent competitive immunoassay All patients had gastrointestinal pathology and were not in good control when taking L-T4 before the study, and 23 had autoimmune thyroiditis or idiopathic hypothyroidism.
The median L-T4 dose was 100 g with an interquartile range of 50 g. The protocol was reviewed and approved by our institution’s ethics committee. Patients were asked to sign a written consent to participate in the study.
Results: Serum concentrations of TSH, free T4, and T3 improved while on vitamin C. Serum TSH decreased in all patients (control, 11.1 [10.5] IU/mL, median [interquartile range]), vitamin C 4.2 (3.7) IU/mL, P .0001), and it was normalized in 17 patients (54.8%). The average decrease was 69.2%. Serum T4 was higher with vitamin C in 30 of the 31 patients (control, 1.1 [0.3] ng/dL; vitamin C, 1.3 [0.3] ng/dL; P .0001), and serum T3 increased as well in all 16 patients in whom it was measured (control, 60.5 [16.5] ng/dL; vitamin C, 70 [21] ng/dL; P .005).
Conclusions: In patients with hypothyroidism and gastrointestinal pathology, vitamin C improves the abnormalities in serum free T4, T3, and TSH concentrations. This approach is helpful in the management of these patients.

This is good news maybe Linus Pauling had a point!

Mossy

The following study with Vitamin C and Hypothyroid persons taking Levothyroxine is interesting. Coupled with the study posted about Vitamin A in 25,000IU doses daily decreasing TSH, it makes me wonder why a person has to be on thyroid meds. Or, why begin with thyroid meds or increase thyroid meds before trying either of these two vitamins.

(J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99: E1031–E1034, 2014)

Background: Malabsorption of L-T4 is a major clinical problem. Changes in gastric pH caused by several medical illnesses are associated with difficulties in the control of patients with hypothyroidism receiving the hormone. Means to correct these alterations would be of clinical value.
Objectives : Our objective was to study the effect of vitamin C on the absorption of L-T4 in patients with hypothyroidism and gastritis.
Design: Thirty-one patients with hypothyroidism, 28 females age 47.513.5(meanSD) yearsand 3 males age 55.711.2 years ingested the dose of L-T4 in 120mLwater containing or not containing 500 mg vitamin C in a solution of pH 2.9 0.1 (mean SD). Serum concentrations of free T4 and TSH were measured at the end of 3 periods of 2 months each, 2 controls and 1 vitamin C. Serum total T3 was measured in 16 of the patients, before and at the end of the vitamin C period. Serum TSH and free T4 and T3 were measured by a solid-phase, enzyme-labeled chemiluminescent competitive immunoassay All patients had gastrointestinal pathology and were not in good control when taking L-T4 before the study, and 23 had autoimmune thyroiditis or idiopathic hypothyroidism.
The median L-T4 dose was 100 g with an interquartile range of 50 g. The protocol was reviewed and approved by our institution’s ethics committee. Patients were asked to sign a written consent to participate in the study.
Results: Serum concentrations of TSH, free T4, and T3 improved while on vitamin C. Serum TSH decreased in all patients (control, 11.1 [10.5] IU/mL, median [interquartile range]), vitamin C 4.2 (3.7) IU/mL, P .0001), and it was normalized in 17 patients (54.8%). The average decrease was 69.2%. Serum T4 was higher with vitamin C in 30 of the 31 patients (control, 1.1 [0.3] ng/dL; vitamin C, 1.3 [0.3] ng/dL; P .0001), and serum T3 increased as well in all 16 patients in whom it was measured (control, 60.5 [16.5] ng/dL; vitamin C, 70 [21] ng/dL; P .005).
Conclusions: In patients with hypothyroidism and gastrointestinal pathology, vitamin C improves the abnormalities in serum free T4, T3, and TSH concentrations. This approach is helpful in the management of these patients.
If I'm reading this correctly, all participants took some type of synthetic thyroid along with the vitamin C. Or was there a vitamin C only group?

OP
D

Dotdash

If I'm reading this correctly, all participants took some type of synthetic thyroid along with the vitamin C. Or was there a vitamin C only group?
To my knowledge there was not.

Hi, Do we agree that ascorbic acid is the same as Vitamin C? Also, is there still an issue of lead / heavy metal contamination with Vitamin C supplements? Thx.

Mossy

Hi, Do we agree that ascorbic acid is the same as Vitamin C? Also, is there still an issue of lead / heavy metal contamination with Vitamin C supplements? Thx.
Indeed, ascorbic acid is vitamin C, which consists of the natural (L-ascorbic acid) and synthetic (D-ascorbic acid) forms. One coming from nature and the other man-made. I gathered this information from here.

There is debate on the efficacy of each forums, but one of the most popular advocates of supplemental vitamin C, Linus Pauling, was ok with the synthetic forum.

I'm uncertain about heavy metals being an issue.

Makrosky

Indeed, ascorbic acid is vitamin C, which consists of the natural (L-ascorbic acid) and synthetic (D-ascorbic acid) forms. One coming from nature and the other man-made. I gathered this information from here.

There is debate on the efficacy of each forums, but one of the most popular advocates of supplemental vitamin C, Linus Pauling, was ok with the synthetic forum.

I'm uncertain about heavy metals being an issue.
And what about RT3?
Increasing the efficacy of levothyroxine can be even worse.
The problem with hypothyroid ppl treated by normal drs is not the TSH afaik as the white coat will give you as much levo as needed to bring TSH down to normal ranges. And some people feel like trash because not everything is TSH. A lot of T4 that instead of being in balance with T3 goes to RT3 making you feel bad.
Non sense.

Mossy

And what about RT3?
Increasing the efficacy of levothyroxine can be even worse.
The problem with hypothyroid ppl treated by normal drs is not the TSH afaik as the white coat will give you as much levo as needed to bring TSH down to normal ranges. And some people feel like trash because not everything is TSH. A lot of T4 that instead of being in balance with T3 goes to RT3 making you feel bad.
Non sense.
I’m not knowledgable enough on the subject to quite follow.

I am not advocating for vitamin C with thyroid, or even thyroid for that matter, I was just attempting to understand the study the OP posted, as I’m interested in possibly trying thyroid.

I’m open to learning what you may have to share. Are you saying that to increase the efficacy of levothyroxine by using vitamin C will increase rT3 and in turn create even worse problems?

What is your perspective for successful thyroid supplementation? I’ve been looking into it and am not finding too many success stories.

Mossy

P.S. I see you already mentioned Pauling in your previous post; so maybe you we’re already aware of his perspective on synthetic vitamin C.

Makrosky

@Mossy no, I meant that taking only t4 is in most cases bad. So if Vitamin C increases its "effectivity" then it is even worse.

My understanding is that if you only take t4 and for whatever reason you don't convert well to t3 (not unusual), then you have a problem. This is well known in the forum?

Mossy

@Mossy no, I meant that taking only t4 is in most cases bad. So if Vitamin C increases its "effectivity" then it is even worse.

My understanding is that if you only take t4 and for whatever reason you don't convert well to t3 (not unusual), then you have a problem. This is well known in the forum?
Ok, that seems consistent to Peat's approach of pairing t4 with t3, with Cynoplus, and then adding in more t3 if needed, with Cynomel.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals