Rs2235544(A;A) Risk of significantly decreased T4-T3 thyroid conversion

Mazzle

Hello good people.
Can I ask you what you would do to support your conversion of T4 to T3 and also, in the context of the report below, would 'starvation' relate to fasting or do they mean a lack of the enzyme?

Deiodinase (or "Monodeiodinase") is a peroxidase enzyme that is involved in the activation or deactivation of thyroid hormones.
'In starvation, deiodinase (specifically Deiodinase I) is inhibited thus lowering basal metabolic rate. However, in the brain, heart, skeletal muscle and thyroid, this is not so, as these organs must maintain homeostasis (skeletal muscle through shivering can increase temperature). This is achieved by the latter organs expressing deiodinase II rather than Deiodinase I as in most peripheral tissues. source'

I can see that the Deiodinase enzyme iodthyronine deiodinase needs selenium . Another thread mentioned the importance of iron in this context but I can not find any more info on that.

Any insights appreciated. Thank you.

I am going through one crappy problem at a time and trying to get a better understanding.
Background. I have a history of unexplained rapid weight gain. I have the gene rs2235544(A;A) = Risk of significantly decreased T4-T3 thyroid conversion. I am anaemic. I have the double MTHFR gene. Prolactin high (lactation in menopausal woman) = possible prolactinoma. Possible cushings (buffalo hump, flushing, rapid weight gain)

aliml

Eating foods that are rich in selenium, including brazil nuts, sardines, and shrimp can help increase the conversion of T4 to T3, which increases free T3 levels [46, 47].
Supplements that can help:
  • Selenium [46]
  • Zinc [46]
  • Iron. Iron supplements should be taken with caution and only if iron deficient [48]
  • Taurine [49]
  • N-acetylcysteine (NAC) [50]
  • Vitamin A [51]
  • Vitamin D [52]

Nutrient Deficiencies and T4 to T3 Conversion​

A deficiency in any of the following can lead to lower thyroid hormone levels. T4 is converted to T3 by Type 1 deiodinase.
  • Iodine – Significant, but not common.
  • Selenium [17] – Needed to convert T4 to T3. Protects against autoimmune thyroid conditions [18]. Too much Selenium (300 mcg) lowered T3 in men in one study [19], but a larger study couldn’t replicate the results [20]. Selenium also increases chromium excretion, so make sure to take chromium as well. I recommend 150 – 250mcg from all sources daily (RDA is 55mcg).
  • Zinc [21] – higher levels were associated with lower free and total T4 in males [22].
  • Iron [21] – needed for TPO.
  • Chromium
  • Copper – higher blood levels were associated with free and total T4 in males and both total T4 and T3 in females [22].
  • Vitamin A [23] – in obese women, vitamin A increases T3 and lowered TSH. There’s a decent chance that this will work in others.
  • B Vitamins: B2, B6, B12

Lifestyle/Dietary factors that decrease thyroid hormones​

Numerous toxins, including BPA, pesticides, mercury, and flame retardants such as PBDE, are shown to block tissue thyroid receptors and reduce T4 to T3 conversion.
  • Calorie restriction [9, 10] – significant. If you consume less than 2,100 calories, then that’s a significant reason you’d have lower thyroid hormone levels. You have to measure your calories for a week.
  • Yoga (certain types, subjective). Significant, but only in the short term. I don’t think it will influence your blood test.
  • Stress [11]/Cortisol supposedly blocks conversion to T3 and increases rT3. A study in healthy young men and women could only found that higher cortisol was associated with higher TSH, but not T3 or T4 [12]. A different study could not either find that cortisol decreases T3, even though exercise decreases it. Actually, it found that a lack of cortisol spike decreased both T3 and T4 [13].
  • Depression [11]
  • Low leptin [14] – leptin increases thyroid hormones
  • Saturated fat
  • Low carb diets
  • Low Estrogen [15] – decreases T3 and T4 and increases TSH
  • BPA/Estrogen mimics [16]
  • Insulin Resistance [11]
  • Chronic pain [11] – suppresses Type 1 deiodinase, which lowers T3
  • Low Testosterone [11]
  • Low Growth Hormone [11] – decreases the conversion of T4 and T3
  • Alcohol
  • Toxins: Fluoride, BPA, lead, mercury, Pesticides, radiation
  • Tea, Cruciferous veggies, Soy, Millet, Fenugreek

OP
M

Mazzle

Eating foods that are rich in selenium, including brazil nuts, sardines, and shrimp can help increase the conversion of T4 to T3, which increases free T3 levels [46, 47].
Supplements that can help:
  • Selenium [46]
  • Zinc [46]
  • Iron. Iron supplements should be taken with caution and only if iron deficient [48]
  • Taurine [49]
  • N-acetylcysteine (NAC) [50]
  • Vitamin A [51]
  • Vitamin D [52]

Nutrient Deficiencies and T4 to T3 Conversion​

A deficiency in any of the following can lead to lower thyroid hormone levels. T4 is converted to T3 by Type 1 deiodinase.
  • Iodine – Significant, but not common.
  • Selenium [17] – Needed to convert T4 to T3. Protects against autoimmune thyroid conditions [18]. Too much Selenium (300 mcg) lowered T3 in men in one study [19], but a larger study couldn’t replicate the results [20]. Selenium also increases chromium excretion, so make sure to take chromium as well. I recommend 150 – 250mcg from all sources daily (RDA is 55mcg).
  • Zinc [21] – higher levels were associated with lower free and total T4 in males [22].
  • Iron [21] – needed for TPO.
  • Chromium
  • Copper – higher blood levels were associated with free and total T4 in males and both total T4 and T3 in females [22].
  • Vitamin A [23] – in obese women, vitamin A increases T3 and lowered TSH. There’s a decent chance that this will work in others.
  • B Vitamins: B2, B6, B12

Lifestyle/Dietary factors that decrease thyroid hormones​

Numerous toxins, including BPA, pesticides, mercury, and flame retardants such as PBDE, are shown to block tissue thyroid receptors and reduce T4 to T3 conversion.
  • Calorie restriction [9, 10] – significant. If you consume less than 2,100 calories, then that’s a significant reason you’d have lower thyroid hormone levels. You have to measure your calories for a week.
  • Yoga (certain types, subjective). Significant, but only in the short term. I don’t think it will influence your blood test.
  • Stress [11]/Cortisol supposedly blocks conversion to T3 and increases rT3. A study in healthy young men and women could only found that higher cortisol was associated with higher TSH, but not T3 or T4 [12]. A different study could not either find that cortisol decreases T3, even though exercise decreases it. Actually, it found that a lack of cortisol spike decreased both T3 and T4 [13].
  • Depression [11]
  • Low leptin [14] – leptin increases thyroid hormones
  • Saturated fat
  • Low carb diets
  • Low Estrogen [15] – decreases T3 and T4 and increases TSH
  • BPA/Estrogen mimics [16]
  • Insulin Resistance [11]
  • Chronic pain [11] – suppresses Type 1 deiodinase, which lowers T3
  • Low Testosterone [11]
  • Low Growth Hormone [11] – decreases the conversion of T4 and T3
  • Alcohol
  • Toxins: Fluoride, BPA, lead, mercury, Pesticides, radiation
  • Tea, Cruciferous veggies, Soy, Millet, Fenugreek
This is incredible - thank you so much. I have lots to follow up here.