Need help with my HTMA results (hair mineral analysis)

TheSir

They can't say that of Peat.

Because how do they know if he's not a balanced metabolic type? And I believe he is. He hasn't been a fast oxidizer and that's why he didn't have to experience working towards becoming a balanced type. And that's why he doesn't know how to guide people on how to fix themselves to have optimal blood sugar regulation, which is basically what a balanced metabolic type is.
I agree that Peat most likely is not a fast oxidizer. If anything he might lean towards slow oxidation for the following reasons:

- Slow oxidation is associated with weak thyroid & adrenals. A balanced type would not need thyroid. A fast type would feel worse on thyroid.
- Slow oxidizers do well on b-vitamins. A balanced type would not experience benefits from additional b-vitamins. A fast type would feel worse on b-vitamins.
- Slow oxidizers have better tolerance for stimulants such as caffeine. Fast oxidizers would find all stimulants too stress-inducing.
- Slow oxidizers do better on low-fat diets and have less aggressive blood sugar curves. Fast oxidizers would gradually get worse on high sugar diets and begin to experience increasingly sudden fluctuations in blood sugar. This is what happened to me over a few years of Peating. I felt like I was becoming more and more dependent on eating small amounts of sugar/starch throughout the day lest I crash/panic hard out of nowhere due to hypoglycemia during the day.

Milk, beef, eggs, liver twice a month, seafood, I guess these should give me all the minerals I need?
I don't know if it'll give you all the minerals you need (retesting will help answer this), but high fat dairy and meats should do you good as a fast oxidizer.

Last edited:

TheSir

Interesting, thank you. What kind of diet would be recommended for that? Sounds like it might be a diet with no sugars, stimulants, and starches?
Less sugars and more fats would be the fast oxidation diet. On top of that specific supplements and lifestyle choices would be recommended for the four highs pattern. I don't know what these would be. If you get your test from ARL labs with the help of an affiliated doctor, the computer algorithm will give you a tailored supplement program.

InChristAlone

I agree that Peat most likely is not a fast oxidizer. If anything he might lean towards slow oxidation for the following reasons:

- Slow oxidation is associated with weak thyroid & adrenals. A balanced type would not need thyroid. A fast type would feel worse on thyroid.
- Slow oxidizers do well on b-vitamins. A balanced type would not experience benefits from additional b-vitamins. A fast type would feel worse on b-vitamins.
- Slow oxidizers have better tolerance for stimulants such as caffeine. Fast oxidizers would find all stimulants too stress-inducing.
- Slow oxidizers do better on low-fat diets and have less aggressive blood sugar curves. Fast oxidizers would gradually get worse on high sugar diets and begin to experience increasingly sudden fluctuations in blood sugar. This is what happened to me over a few years of Peating. I felt like I was becoming more and more dependent on eating small amounts of sugar/starch throughout the day lest I crash/panic hard out of nowhere due to hypoglycemia during the day.

I don't know if it'll give you all the minerals you need (retesting will help answer this), but high fat dairy and meats should do you good as a fast oxidizer.
I wonder what the heck was wrong with me then! I got my hair tested in 2015, I was in mostly adrenal burnout, my imbalance showed moderate slow oxidation. I couldn't tolerate any thyroid without adrenaline and I had to quit caffeine many times. I also experienced panic attacks and needed to keep my blood sugar up though my blood sugar curve wasn't showing much. I just think all the sugar and milk wasn't good. I don't know very many people it works for.

OP
D

DonLore

Seems very true. Caffeine, I rarely enjoy it too much since I am already very "awake" most time. Eating sugars a lot seem to make me just need more and more, not in a good way. Meat, potatoes and some milk seem to do me better.
What if there is a B deficiency? Or maybe there is only a deficiency because molybdenum is needed for B2 and thus, methylation so its just a mineral deficiency and not really a B deficiency

yerrag

Slow oxidation is associated with weak thyroid & adrenals. A balanced type would not need thyroid. A fast type would feel worse on thyroid.
You have a good handle on the different metabolic types. It's interesting that b-vitamin supplements have different effects on the different metabolic types, but the effect of b-vitamins in food do not vary.

unsubscribed

Wilson has probably the most thorough explanations for all the ratios and how to work with them. The Development Website . If you got your test from ARL labs, then you also got a list of recommended supplements which will begin to balance your oxidation rate i.e. the four electrolytes. Take them and nothing else. You will quickly begin to make progress. Follow the dietary instructions for even faster progress. Re-test in 4-6 months or when the supplements are no longer working for you. Note that the oxidation rate will always get balanced first before any other aspect in the chart. Beginning from any other aspect can be difficult or even counterproductive.

@DonLore As a fast oxidizer you need to avoid any kind of stimulatory supplements and substances such as b-vitamins, caffeine and thyroid, as well as eat enough fats and not too many carbs. Learn to relax. https://drlwilson.com/articles/OXID.FAST.htm

@HeyThere Very low Na/Mg ratio points to severely exhausted adrenals. High Ca/K & Na/K ratios point to extreme slow oxidation. You're likely to be chronically hypoglycemic, as well as unable to compensate for it with stress hormones. Your ratios have improved since your previous test. https://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/OXID.SLOW..htm

@Comstock You're in four highs pattern and fast oxidation: FOUR HIGH ELECTROLYTES

You typically need 6-12 months of supplementation to correct any mineral deficiency. A few weeks is not going to do much unfortunately.

Nails are fine. Hairs are too if the sample is taken soon after thoroughly washing & drying.
Hi TheSir,

That diet looks brutal. Shawshank redemption level.
How do you make it work/enjoyable?
Do you an example of what an avg day of eating meals would be?

Thanks.

davvid_1

wonder what you guys would make of my results? all seem to be high. should i be doing something about the low fe/cu? i'm already benefitting from selenium supps.

1662911080359.png

mattmm24

I got my HTMA results. Very high sodium and potassium, no molybdenum. What does this mean?
I got my HTMA results. Very high sodium and potassium, no molybdenum. What does this mean?
High potassium typically means potassium loss. Are you taking a lot of vitamin d??? For all the praise vitamin d gets if you take it a lot it will cause a loss in your kidneys. I tested HTMA for 3-4 years. This pattern also means you are a fast oxidizer. You need to eat more fats to balance this out, and up your potassium intake. Consider getting sun instead of taking vitamin d if you are.

mattmm24

I'm currently eating mostly a variety of pureed vegetables with fat and meat as well as small amounts of potatoes/rice. I used to eat fruits, meat and dairy, and though it sustained me well for a few years, I wasn't making any progress health-wise. No elimination/detox reactions, no iridological changes, no improvements in wellbeing. On the diet of cooked vegetables I started eliminating toxic copper almost immediately.

As for whether cooked vegetables are the only way to get all the minerals in sufficient quantities in the modern world, I don't know, but what I can say is that they are powerful stuff. They make me feel so good that I don't ever want to stop eating them. They make me detox in a way nothing else ever has.

This was where a few years of Peating and some substance abuse left me at (I had already begun eating more vegetables here, hence the copper elimination)

View attachment 41876

If anyone wants I can update the thread with future test results.
I did the Wilson program for about 3 years. Coffee enemas, red light, pushing down exercise, and cooked vegetables. The main issue I have with that program is endomet vitamins are pure garbage. So many fillers that actually effect you if taken for a long period of time. Cooked vegetables are good and I mostly agree with everything but those supplements need to be higher quality.

InChristAlone

Thanks. It would make sense that I need to avoid stimulants, since I am running on adrenalin already too much. I also started some local vegetables, mainly potatoes and cooked zucchini. Milk, beef, eggs, liver twice a month, seafood, I guess these should give me all the minerals I need?
Look at the vegetables Dr Wilson suggests. Zucchini isn't very good and he recommends to avoid all nightshades, the only real starchy food he says is okay is blue corn chips. Liver he says is too toxic to consume much of. And I highly agree. He says dairy should be raw and definitely not homogenized. He doesn't recommend much seafood other than sardines due to mercury and all kinds of pollution. Targeted minerals for all oxidation types are mag and calcium chelate and citrates, zinc, and selenium. Kelp for the minerals. All other seaweeds are too toxic. TMG for methylation.

TheSir

I wonder what the heck was wrong with me then! I got my hair tested in 2015, I was in mostly adrenal burnout, my imbalance showed moderate slow oxidation. I couldn't tolerate any thyroid without adrenaline and I had to quit caffeine many times. I also experienced panic attacks and needed to keep my blood sugar up though my blood sugar curve wasn't showing much. I just think all the sugar and milk wasn't good. I don't know very many people it works for.
There are other reasons why taking thyroid may not work for every slow oxidizer either. As one may guess, it depends on whether the body has what it takes to artificially drive thyroid functioning upwards in terms of vitality and resources. If you still have the chart, you can study all the relevant ratios, levels and patterns on Wilson's site and perhaps gain some insight into your past condition. Having to eat sugar just to avoid panic attacks is horrible, I've been there too. Gradually I found myself having to eat more often and being less able to tolerate protein without subsequent hypoglycemia. Meanwhile my father eats a few sausages, goes to bed and sleeps just fine, lol.
What if there is a B deficiency? Or maybe there is only a deficiency because molybdenum is needed for B2 and thus, methylation so its just a mineral deficiency and not really a B deficiency
Yeah, something like that. We've all seen those megadose B-vitamin regimens for certain conditions, but I think that once the mineral balance has been restored, any B-vitamin deficiencies should be easy to correct because the body will more readily utilize the vitamins. It's only when the digestion is poor, methylation broken, the pathways in slumber and the cofactors scarce that megadosing becomes necessary.

Hi TheSir,

That diet looks brutal. Shawshank redemption level.
How do you make it work/enjoyable?
Do you an example of what an avg day of eating meals would be?

Thanks.
My approach to it is almost like Peating only with cooked vegetables instead of fruits, heh. I get that it can seem a bit ascetic, but the diet still consists of animal products, vegetables and some starches. Do you really need much more than that? The well cooked veggies themselves are really tasty, almost sugary. Add a bit of butter in and they taste heavenly. On an average day I make a puree out of onions, cauliflower, broccoli, leek, carrots and butter, then eat that on every meal with some potatoes and protein. The simplest form of the diet is that you eat whatever you want and add 2-3 cups of cooked vegetables to every meal.
I did the Wilson program for about 3 years. Coffee enemas, red light, pushing down exercise, and cooked vegetables. The main issue I have with that program is endomet vitamins are pure garbage. So many fillers that actually effect you if taken for a long period of time. Cooked vegetables are good and I mostly agree with everything but those supplements need to be higher quality.
Which are the harmful fillers in particular? Did you experience some side effects? Considering how meticulous Wilson is about subtle levels of toxicity in various foods, it's interesting if the supplements themselves turn out to be toxic. In any case, I'm not planning on staying on the supplements forever, only long enough to correct the main deficiencies. Why did you quit the program by the way?

InChristAlone

There are other reasons why taking thyroid may not work for every slow oxidizer either. As one may guess, it depends on whether the body has what it takes to artificially drive thyroid functioning upwards in terms of vitality and resources. If you still have the chart, you can study all the relevant ratios, levels and patterns on Wilson's site and perhaps gain some insight into your past condition. Having to eat sugar just to avoid panic attacks is horrible, I've been there too. Gradually I found myself having to eat more often and being less able to tolerate protein without subsequent hypoglycemia. Meanwhile my father eats a few sausages, goes to bed and sleeps just fine, lol.

My approach to it is almost like Peating only with cooked vegetables instead of fruits, heh. I get that it can seem a bit ascetic, but the diet still consists of animal products, vegetables and some starches. Do you really need much more than that? The well cooked veggies themselves are really tasty, almost sugary. Add a bit of butter in and they taste heavenly.
So I re-read most of the important things on his website after like 8 yrs of finding HTMA and I think I'm finally open to adding a lot of veggies to my diet. In all honesty the ones he recommends can taste pretty good if you cook them and add butter or oil. I don't tolerate beans or whole grains, and I thought veggies were just full of chemicals, which means I was just eating refined starches or potatoes and fruits, very very low quality diet so it's no wonder I haven't gotten much better other than not having panic attacks all the time. I think a lot of people who end up on the Peat diet are similar. They are suffering from too much yin and so eating things that push you the other way is uncomfortable, a lot of traumas and feelings surface that you don't want to deal with. Staying on the fruit and dairy 'feels better' but you end up sicker and sicker as you get older needing more and more aspirin, drugs, caffeine, thyroid, progesterone testosterone etc.

mattmm24

Yeah, something like that. We've all seen those megadose B-vitamin regimens for certain conditions, but I think that once the mineral balance has been restored, any B-vitamin deficiencies should be easy to correct because the body will more readily utilize the vitamins. It's only when the digestion is poor, methylation broken, the pathways in slumber and the cofactors scarce that megadosing becomes necessary.

My approach to it is almost like Peating only with cooked vegetables instead of fruits, heh. I get that it can seem a bit ascetic, but the diet still consists of animal products, vegetables and some starches. Do you really need much more than that? The well cooked veggies themselves are really tasty, almost sugary. Add a bit of butter in and they taste heavenly. On an average day I make a puree out of onions, cauliflower, broccoli, leek, carrots and butter, then eat that on every meal with some potatoes and protein. The simplest form of the diet is that you eat whatever you want and add 2-3 cups of cooked vegetables to every meal.

Which are the harmful fillers in particular? Did you experience some side effects? Considering how meticulous Wilson is about subtle levels of toxicity in various foods, it's interesting if the supplements themselves turn out to be toxic. In any case, I'm not planning on staying on the supplements forever, only long enough to correct the main deficiencies. Why did you quit the program by the way?
Silicon dioxide is one of the main ones. Hinders small intestine activity. I had a lot of bloating and skin rashes from the supplements. You can look up Chinese medicine small intestine imbalance. Not to mention they want you taking the supplements 3 times a day. I had breathing issues at night. Had a panic attack one time. I felt good sometimes but also would feel off sometimes and that is supposedly “detoxing heavy metals”. But never had too many big dumps except for aluminum and iron.
I quit the program bc I didn’t want to spend my life eating tons of cooked vegetables and the diet makes you start looking at certain foods as “bad”. Which in itself is a stressor. Also I was doing some traveling and the worst thing you can do is take the supplements when not doing the full program. I also think that the supplements coffee enemas red light etc deplete your potassium levels to a great extent.

If you are able to stay in the program faithfully then it could work, but I personally didn’t want to live my life that way. I still eat foods reccomended sometimes and do the procedures but not religiously

InChristAlone

Silicon dioxide is one of the main ones. Hinders small intestine activity. I had a lot of bloating and skin rashes from the supplements. You can look up Chinese medicine small intestine imbalance. Not to mention they want you taking the supplements 3 times a day. I had breathing issues at night. Had a panic attack one time. I felt good sometimes but also would feel off sometimes and that is supposedly “detoxing heavy metals”. But never had too many big dumps except for aluminum and iron.
I quit the program bc I didn’t want to spend my life eating tons of cooked vegetables and the diet makes you start looking at certain foods as “bad”. Which in itself is a stressor. Also I was doing some traveling and the worst thing you can do is take the supplements when not doing the full program. I also think that the supplements coffee enemas red light etc deplete your potassium levels to a great extent.

If you are able to stay in the program faithfully then it could work, but I personally didn’t want to live my life that way. I still eat foods reccomended sometimes and do the procedures but not religiously
That is definitely one of the major downsides to following any program. It can override what your body is telling you. Thankfully Ray has taught us to perceive think act and if a supplement is causing intestinal irritation it can definitely show up as increased serotonin. To be fair Dr Wilson says supplements are yin and so minimizing them is essential. He doesn't seem to be too aware of the serotonin issue.

tastyfood

Not much to say about your nutritional element results, but I'm envious of your lack of heavy metal toxicity!

InChristAlone

Not much to say about your nutritional element results, but I'm envious of your lack of heavy metal toxicity!
Unfortunately, it can indicate inability to remove them which is worse.

InChristAlone

For that you can rely on other testing methods like stool or urine, no?
It's in the tissues until it is mobilized into hair, urine, stool.

yerrag

It's in the tissues until it is mobilized into hair, urine, stool.
There are tests called provoked challenge tests like one I had on lead.

A provoked challenge test shows I have lead in my tissues, which I think is likely in fat issues or in bone tissues. Not in circulation, and safely tucked away from harm to us- as long as we do nothing to 'provoke' them into getting back into circulation.

My opinion is I'd just leave them alone.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals