Need help with my HTMA results (hair mineral analysis)

DonLore

I got my HTMA results. Very high sodium and potassium, no molybdenum. What does this mean?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-07-20-56-56-167_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-07-20-56-56-167_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 99

InChristAlone

Wow you are a fast oxidizer. You need lots of protein.

InChristAlone

Fast oxidizer has high sodium and potassium. Slow oxidizers have high mag and calcium lowish sodium and potassium. What each needs specifically is more up to the practitioner. Some say Ray Peat is a fast oxidizer and thats why all the sugar works for him, others say fast oxidizers need more protein less sugar.

HeyThere

You seem to have quite the opposite major electrolytes. I wonder what it means

I do suffer from chronic dehydration. Lifelong antihistamine taker, not until recently did I figure out my puzzle that I have issues with Salicylates. Always drank lot of water, but not being able to eat greens and fruits and such may be the cause?

InChristAlone

I do suffer from chronic dehydration. Lifelong antihistamine taker, not until recently did I figure out my puzzle that I have issues with Salicylates. Always drank lot of water, but not being able to eat greens and fruits and such may be the cause?
I'm also a slow oxidizer and had high calcium and mag, low potassium somewhat normal sodium on my hair test and I feel better on antihistamines. It's parasympathetic dominance poor sympathetic tone.

Comstock

Would like to post mine as well. This is from a toenail sample, so maybe the interpretations aren't the same as for hair.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 1.57.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 1.57.26 PM.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
D

DonLore

Would like to post mine as well. This is from a toenail sample, so maybe the interpretations aren't the same as for hair.
You also have zero molybdenum. I am wondering if its better to try and get it from food, or supplement for maybe 2-3 weeks. You should probably supplement some boron at least?

Can

Do you think hair mineral analyses are reliable?

Don't want to talk down on this, but in a recent podcast I listened to, Ray said that hair is a bad way to assess to minerals as it is exposed to air constantly, and everything that is in the air like dust, etc. He said that toenails are likely a better option, since they are usually protected fairly well.

I can try to find the episode and post it with a time stamp if anyone is interested^^.

Last edited:

TheSir

Wilson has probably the most thorough explanations for all the ratios and how to work with them. The Development Website . If you got your test from ARL labs, then you also got a list of recommended supplements which will begin to balance your oxidation rate i.e. the four electrolytes. Take them and nothing else. You will quickly begin to make progress. Follow the dietary instructions for even faster progress. Re-test in 4-6 months or when the supplements are no longer working for you. Note that the oxidation rate will always get balanced first before any other aspect in the chart. Beginning from any other aspect can be difficult or even counterproductive.

@DonLore As a fast oxidizer you need to avoid any kind of stimulatory supplements and substances such as b-vitamins, caffeine and thyroid, as well as eat enough fats and not too many carbs. Learn to relax. https://drlwilson.com/articles/OXID.FAST.htm

@HeyThere Very low Na/Mg ratio points to severely exhausted adrenals. High Ca/K & Na/K ratios point to extreme slow oxidation. You're likely to be chronically hypoglycemic, as well as unable to compensate for it with stress hormones. Your ratios have improved since your previous test. https://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/OXID.SLOW..htm

@Comstock You're in four highs pattern and fast oxidation: FOUR HIGH ELECTROLYTES

or supplement for maybe 2-3 weeks
You typically need 6-12 months of supplementation to correct any mineral deficiency. A few weeks is not going to do much unfortunately.

Do you think hair mineral analyses are reliable?
Nails are fine. Hairs are too if the sample is taken soon after thoroughly washing & drying.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Wilson has probably the most thorough explanations for all the ratios and how to work with them. The Development Website . If you got your test from ARL labs, then you also got a list of recommended supplements which will begin to balance your oxidation rate i.e. the four electrolytes. Take them and nothing else. You will quickly begin to make progress. Follow the dietary instructions for even faster progress. Re-test in 4-6 months or when the supplements are no longer working for you. Note that the oxidation rate will always get balanced first before any other aspect in the chart. Beginning from any other aspect can be difficult or even counterproductive.

@DonLore As a fast oxidizer you need to avoid any kind of stimulatory supplements and substances such as b-vitamins, caffeine and thyroid, as well as eat enough fats and not too many carbs. Learn to relax. https://drlwilson.com/articles/OXID.FAST.htm

@HeyThere Very low Na/Mg ratio points to severely exhausted adrenals. High Ca/K & Na/K ratios point to extreme slow oxidation. You're likely to be chronically hypoglycemic, as well as unable to compensate for it with stress hormones. Your ratios have improved since your previous test. https://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/OXID.SLOW..htm

@Comstock You're in four highs pattern and fast oxidation: FOUR HIGH ELECTROLYTES

You typically need 6-12 months of supplementation to correct any mineral deficiency. A few weeks is not going to do much unfortunately.

Nails are fine. Hairs are too if the sample is taken soon after thoroughly washing & drying.
Do you agree with his diet recommendations? He says to eat loads of vegetables. I don't agree vegetables are the only way to get minerals.

TheSir

Do you agree with his diet recommendations? He says to eat loads of vegetables. I don't agree vegetables are the only way to get minerals.
I'm currently eating mostly a variety of pureed vegetables with fat and meat as well as small amounts of potatoes/rice. I used to eat fruits, meat and dairy, and though it sustained me well for a few years, I wasn't making any progress health-wise. No elimination/detox reactions, no iridological changes, no improvements in wellbeing. On the diet of cooked vegetables I started eliminating toxic copper almost immediately.

As for whether cooked vegetables are the only way to get all the minerals in sufficient quantities in the modern world, I don't know, but what I can say is that they are powerful stuff. They make me feel so good that I don't ever want to stop eating them. They make me detox in a way nothing else ever has.

This was where a few years of Peating and some substance abuse left me at (I had already begun eating more vegetables here, hence the copper elimination)

1662668216531.png

If anyone wants I can update the thread with future test results.

Last edited:

yerrag

Fast oxidizer has high sodium and potassium. Slow oxidizers have high mag and calcium lowish sodium and potassium. What each needs specifically is more up to the practitioner. Some say Ray Peat is a fast oxidizer and thats why all the sugar works for him, others say fast oxidizers need more protein less sugar.
They can't say that of Peat.

Because how do they know if he's not a balanced metabolic type? And I believe he is. He hasn't been a fast oxidizer and that's why he didn't have to experience working towards becoming a balanced type. And that's why he doesn't know how to guide people on how to fix themselves to have optimal blood sugar regulation, which is basically what a balanced metabolic type is.

InChristAlone

They can't say that of Peat.

Because how do they know if he's not a balanced metabolic type? And I believe he is. He hasn't been a fast oxidizer and that's why he didn't have to experience working towards becoming a balanced type. And that's why he doesn't know how to guide people on how to fix themselves to have optimal blood sugar regulation, which is basically what a balanced metabolic type is.
Yeah I agree, he does so well on his diet because he is balanced.

yerrag

Yeah I agree, he does so well on his diet because he is balanced.
I was a fast oxidizer. Was even using supplements made for my metabolic type though I couldn't make sense of what minerals I should or shouldn't supplement with. As you say, it had to do with the parasympathetic-sympathetic nervous system.

I'm glad I'm out of that. It was still mumbo jumbo to me. It was based on empirical observation by this great doctor, the names of which I can't recall now. But his explanations were as easy to understand as quantum theory.

I'm much better off understanding Peat's ideas, where I have seen great improvements in my health. And since I understood what makes my engine purr and rev, I have more confidence in how I get to my destination.

OP
D

DonLore

I'm currently eating mostly a variety of pureed vegetables with fat and meat as well as small amounts of potatoes/rice. I used to eat fruits, meat and dairy, and though it sustained me well for a few years, I wasn't making any progress health-wise. No elimination/detox reactions, no iridological changes, no improvements in wellbeing. On the diet of cooked vegetables I started eliminating toxic copper almost immediately.

As for whether cooked vegetables are the only way to get all the minerals in sufficient quantities in the modern world, I don't know, but what I can say is that they are powerful stuff. They make me feel so good that I don't ever want to stop eating them. They make me detox in a way nothing else ever has.

This was where a few years of Peating and some substance abuse left me at (I had already begun eating more vegetables here, hence the copper elimination)

View attachment 41876

If anyone wants I can update the thread with future test results.
Thanks. It would make sense that I need to avoid stimulants, since I am running on adrenalin already too much. I also started some local vegetables, mainly potatoes and cooked zucchini. Milk, beef, eggs, liver twice a month, seafood, I guess these should give me all the minerals I need?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals