Husband has alarming level of manganese on his HTMA test. Thoughts?

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Manganese apparently is really important in weed production, so maybe they add a lot. Does the COA show the Mn level? If a liver issue NAC might help, and of course acetaminophen would hurt.
Yeah it's a micro nutrient, don't know how I didn't make that connection ( I quit smoking years & years ago but grew commercially for 50+ medical patience for years).

But I bet it's more likely linked to the damn cartridges he uses because almost no one smokes real weed anymore ?

"Investigators reported: “[T]his study … has … shown that commercially available electronic cannabis devices (ECD) are a potential source for inhalation exposure to metals. … [C]hromium, copper, nickel, as well as smaller amounts of lead, manganese, and tin migrate into the cannabis oil and inhaled vapor phase, resulting in a possible acute intake of an amount of inhaled metals above the regulatory standard of multiple governmental bodies. … It was shown that leaching after periods of time at ambient or elevated temperatures was responsible for the migration of metals from the ECD into the liquid. … The metal content of vaping aerosols decreased with the addition of terpenes to the cartridge liquid. At this time, the mechanism by which the addition of terpenes reduces these metal emissions is unknown, but future research is being undertaken to establish if this is a phenomenon unique to terpenes or if it is a general trait of less viscous liquids.”

Analysis: Steel Heating Mechanisms of Some THC Vape Cartridges May Result in Exposure to Heavy Metals - NORML

Perry Staltic

But I bet it's more likely linked to the damn cartridges he uses because almost no one smokes real weed anymore ?

lol I'm so old fashioned. Looks like you may have found the source. Maybe you can get him to quit or switch to a pipe to verify.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Just dumping this info here for future readers.

Also, I don't think he's gana like this news. He smokes like a cart a day, my last $5 says this is why his levels are in the beyond toxic range.

"An increasing but still limited number of studies have detected metals in e-liquid and aerosol samples generated by e-cigarette devices. Some of the key metals include chromium, nickel, lead, manganese, aluminum, tin, and iron."

Toxicology of E-Cigarette Constituents - Public Health Consequences of E-Cigarettes - NCBI Bookshelf

"For example, one study found cadmium (mean concentration varied from 0.42 to 205 µg/L), chromium (53.9 to 2,110 µg/L), lead (4.89 to 1,970 µg/L), manganese (28.7 to 6,910 µg/L), and nickel (0.059 to 22.6 µg/L) in e-liquids touching unused cartomizer coils from five different cigalike brands (Hess et al., 2017). By measuring five devices of each of five brands, this study illustrates the substantial variability within and across brands, especially for chromium, manganese, nickel, and lead"

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

lol I'm so old fashioned. Looks like you may have found the source. Maybe you can get him to quit or switch to a pipe to verify.
He needs too regardless. You can't complain about being tired all the time & just chronically smoke weed thinking it has no correlation ?

I say this ***t to his face all the time, now I can just be like no it's factually killing you & making you dumb on a neurotoxin level ?

Still gana do the blood test & check his liver function though.

Perry Staltic

He needs too regardless. You can't complain about being tired all the time & just chronically smoke weed thinking it has no correlation ?

I say this ***t to his face all the time, now I can just be like no it's factually killing you & making you dumb on a neurotoxin level ?

Still gana do the blood test & check his liver function though.

If you really want to scare the ***t out of him study up on manganese madness, Mark Purdy and mad cow disease. You'll also see where I got some of my ideas.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

If you really want to scare the ***t out of him study up on manganese madness, Mark Purdy and mad cow disease. You'll also see where I got some of my ideas.
Yeah I was reading on that earlier & was like man... I told you you we're crazy ?

Looks like if he was he's in very early stages so if we do something now we can keep him from progressing.

redsun

Yeah I was reading on that earlier & was like man... I told you you we're crazy ?

Looks like if he was he's in very early stages so if we do something now we can keep him from progressing.
Well I am glad you seem to have found the problem. Yes manganese madness is a real thing and that's likely what is up with him. Good luck.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Well I am glad you seem to have found the problem. Yes manganese madness is a real thing and that's likely what is up with him. Good luck.
It's a good lead anyhow, still gana do a blood test to see what his real time levels look like + a liver work up.

With millions of people using vape pens these days I wonder how much of the insanity that ensues is manganese madness...

Perry Staltic

With millions of people using vape pens these days I wonder how much of the insanity that ensues is manganese madness...

That just made me think of Alex Berenson's work on cannabis. He has documented how psychosis is on the rise among cannabis users, which he attributes to the increased THC potency, but it may tie in with manganese poisoning.

Perry Staltic

That just made me think of Alex Berenson's work on cannabis. He has documented how psychosis is on the rise among cannabis users, which he attributes to the increased THC potency, but it may tie in with manganese poisoning.

Here's a taste

Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence​

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

I think I read chronic low level exposure can show up in the hair, but not the blood
That's interesting!

If I can get him to at least go back to a glass pipe & real weed we can retest his hair in probably 3-4 months to see if the levels drop.

I believe it, it's not even weed anymore. It's just pure THC with some base terpens added back.

I miss real, balanced, intact herb that isn't bred to have insane levels of THC & almost no CBD.

One of the reasons I personally quit.

Now if I do smoke anything it's high quality hemp with almost no THC & high CBD which is akin to microdosing really.

Again your husbands sounds like mine, battling me about eating a few bites of liver. I am not impressed with them hehhh!
The husband-as-children picture you two are going back and forth about is giving me a giggle
Probably the case... Or should I say, cartridge huahhuah

Given where manganese is on the periodic table of the elements, maybe an excess of chromium is lending itself towards more manganese production. Iron is the next heaviest atomic weight which gives a clue as to why it can prevent manganese absorption.

Or maybe he's getting a large dose of the cofactors needed to convert chromium into manganese? I don't have any solutions, just throwing ideas out.

It's definitely, probably the cartridges, though. So annoying how those stupid pens have given so many marijuana enthusiasts an inordinate THC tolerance akin to living on the moon.

If it isn't too expensive, maybe you could throw him into a sauna for a few days in a row and test-retest to see if anything happens.

The husband-as-children picture you two are going back and forth about is giving me a giggle

Probably the case... Or should I say, cartridge huahhuah

Given where manganese is on the periodic table of the elements, maybe an excess of chromium is lending itself towards more manganese production. Iron is the next heaviest atomic weight which gives a clue as to why it can prevent manganese absorption.

Or maybe he's getting a large dose of the cofactors needed to convert chromium into manganese? I don't have any solutions, just throwing ideas out.

It's definitely, probably the cartridges, though. So annoying how those stupid pens have given so many marijuana enthusiasts an inordinate THC tolerance akin to living on the moon.

If it isn't too expensive, maybe you could throw him into a sauna for a few days in a row and test-retest to see if anything happens.
It is a ridiculous picture isn't it?

youngsinatra

Did you get consultation with your test results?
I find the pattern really interesting. Almost all minerals seem on the low side, except sodium and manganese.

imaginaryfolk

coffee helps flush out heavy metals from the body does he drink coffee regularly? I think he can lower manganese levels with taking out blood, my dad has hemachromatosis and takes out blood at a clinic to bring iron levels back to normal, maybe this procedure also works for other metals?

Gustav3Y

I am not sure if you mentioned it or you were already asked but will you also do this test to see your manganese levels?
I think would be very interesting to see the results.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom