Nails And Glycine

tara

gummybear said:
I would guess the absolute majority of gelatine is full of endoxotin.
I would guess my gut is full of endotoxin too. I have not yet seen anything to suggest whether or not the gelatine would increase the endotoxin density in my gut.

tara

gummybear said:
tara said:
I have had the longitudinal ridges for as long as I can remember too, and occasional white flecks. The white flecks have been less frequent lately, but I see no difference in the longitudinal ridges.

Maybe lack of co2? Magnesium? Calcium needs to be carboxylated to get it into the bone.
CO2 sounds like a possibility - thx for that thought. I think I've improved CO2 levels a bit, but probably still well below optimal.
I've been supplementing magnesium for quite a while (glycinate for at least a year + bicarbonate for a few weeks).

Jennifer

tara said:
gummybear said:
I would guess the absolute majority of gelatine is full of endoxotin.
I would guess my gut is full of endotoxin too. I have not yet seen anything to suggest whether or not the gelatine would increase the endotoxin density in my gut.
I've read where Ray thinks Great Lakes gelatin is pure, but people have reported suffering endotoxin symptoms (like diarrhea) from even GL gelatin so I did a little digging around and found this quote from the Herb Doctors' You Are What You Eat interview with Ray:

"RP: Yes, especially when it comes on quickly like this...it's adrenaline or maybe serotonin. The reason I ask about any irritating food - if you don't dissolve the gelatin thoroughly, sometimes that can cause gas and irritation by feeding bacteria in the intestine."

So like with any food, if we aren't digesting it well, it has the potential of feeding bacteria and creating endotoxins. This could be a reason why I hear people saying they don't suffer reactions with the hydrolysate, but do with gelatin.

tara

Hi Jennifer,
You could well be right about why some people do better with hydrolysate than whole gelatine.

I am not aware of any gut issues for myself relating to any kind of gelatine or hydrolysate - certainly not diarrhea or excessive gas. Although I could have problems/irritation that I'm not aware of. I always dissolve it thoroughly in liquids. I've used Great Lakes hydrolysate and gelatin, Now gelatine, and a local brand. I replaced the local brand because it had preservatives in it.

But I assume that all our guts are teeming with bacteria, even if we don't especially overfeed them, and that there is inevitably some level of endotoxin being produced all the time in there. So I was wondering how this level compared with the level of endotoxin that people say is already there in at least some brands of gelatin - Gummy reckons there's a significant amount in all of them. If eating gelatine increases the endotoxin load in my gut by 0.1%, I don't care about it. If it increases it by 50 - 100%, it's a significant issue.

Jennifer

I wonder if anyone has ever asked Ray about this and I just haven't come across it. I would think that if gelatin was a huge source of endotoxins, Ray wouldn't be recommending it like he does. I mean, that's one thing about Ray, he's all about reducing gut inflammation and endotoxins since they create a cascade of stress hormones. I would think he'd be aware of any potential endotoxin issues with the gelatin.

tara

Jennifer said:
I wonder if anyone has ever asked Ray about this and I just haven't come across it. I would think that if gelatin was a huge source of endotoxins, Ray wouldn't be recommending it like he does. I mean, that's one thing about Ray, he's all about reducing gut inflammation and endotoxins since they create a cascade of stress hormones. I would think he'd be aware of any potential endotoxin issues with the gelatin.
Likewise.

Sheila

I would be surprised if vertical ridges are endotoxin overload. If that were the case none of my other classic mid 40s female symptoms should have resolved and they have in a fabulous way, seriously. I am even pondering whether the nails know how to grow properly after 20++ years like this and may use xylocaine repeatedly below the nail bed on one in an attempt to 'reset'. Another Peat suggestion I think.
In my experience people with sensitive guts go better on setting (bovine) gelatine than hydrolysate which is quite opposite to those here but what that sensitivity is at base, I just don't quite know. Coeliacs and hydrolysate in my experience = disaster! In the old parlance, maybe degrees of leakiness, or degrees of liver energy exhaustion. Just don't know and I come back to 'we are all different'.
I will keep on with my one-change-at-a-time experiments and if I see any resolution, after a little dance of glee, this Forum will be the first to know. I appreciate your suggestions and theories to date.
Sheila

SQu

Sheila I've had beau's lines for many years. I don't remember when they started but I almost always have several on my right thumbnail, fainter on my left ( and not entirely correlated) and very mild on some other nails, also not 100% in synch. Sometimes they're deep and rolling like waves in close succession. Very occasionally I've had very mild ones on toenails. I used to get white flecks which vanished on zinc supplementation. Not supplementing now ( suspect zinc for early greying) and no flecks since peating. Only time I had no lines was for a few months after following matt stone's refeeding ideas. Then along with everything else they deteriorated again. There does seem to be a regular pattern to the right thumbnail and I also have regular unexplained health setbacks BUT these are not clearly in synch either. I do suspect malabsorption of food and clearly have liver sluggishness so that's what I've been working on, with some success but not in the nail department. I'm 51 with a long dieting and low carb history. Other family members have had them once on all nails when very ill. As you'd expect. I'll continue on a new post..

SQu

I think it's possible that poor digestion and trouble with glucose metabolism led to the weight gain that followed the refeeding ( that I would have done soooooo differently if I'd known about peat) and that the weight gain lead to estrogen troubles that I'm still struggling with and that might have restarted the beau's lines. I've searched this issue without success but do wonder whether energy problems that we know hit the brain harder than the rest of the body, may be felt particularly in extremities too . Also that setbacks are simply estrogen overload beyond normal levels. Gelatin I have 40g a day, no digestive issues but makes no difference to nails. Ditto casein. That's about the sum of my meagre guesswork and knowledge on the subject!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals