Terry's Nails

Jigend

Hello everyone. Long time lurker here, despite the low amount of posts. I'm posting here because I'm getting kind of afraid, for a condition which semi-mysteriously appeared on me (Terry's nails + nail ridging), and it doesn't seem to go away.

So, a bit of a background: I've been "half-Peating" for the past 2 years of so. And by half Peating I mean that I've been eating high sugar, doing a lot of coffee, milk, eating liver whenever I can (once per week at best, twice per month at worst), supplementing with glycine, having cola, avoiding PUFA, etc. I wouldn't say I follow all the indications down to a T, but I do what I can.

So, for the past 5 to 6 months, I've been super stressed. Not only do I have college related work to take care of, but I have another side-business of my own - which I run with a few friends of mine. And needless to say, I've been very stressed as of late. Perhaps even exaggerating on the coffee I take. Also, my nutrition has been very poor, I'll rightfully admit. I feel like I haven't been having enough calories per day (skipping some meals), and for energy, I'd sometimes apply a bit more salt, or sugar. I've also lost some weight in the past 3 months. Something I'm planning to fix, of course.

Now, onto the issues I find semi-mysterious:
1)
I have been noticing that for the past 3 or so months my nails have been developing more and more vertical ridges. I didn't think much of it: I googled the issue, saw that it would most likely be related to a lack a of zinc, and that it would be something which would eventually fix itself, once I ordered zinc. And I did: At 10mg a day, the issue persists. Perhaps I'd need a higher dosage to fix the vertical ridging?

2) Anyway, for the past 4 days or so I've been kind of scared: I've noticed (or better yet, my mom noticed - which means it's clearly something noticeable by other people) that most of my nails, on both my right and my left hand are turning half-rosey on the top half, and paler on the bottom half (I think that's what you call the "lunula"). I googled a bit to find out what it was, and after a few hours of looking around on the web, I found what I assume to be the very same condition I have: Terry's nails. The pictures I've seen look exactly like my nails. With the addition that mine have vertical ridges as well.

Now this is getting me a bit scared. I saw what the conditions associated with this could be: liver failure, cirrhosis, diabetes mellitus, congestive heart failure, hyperthyroidism, malnutrition.
  • I wouldn't say I have diabetes, I feel warm most of the time, and I don't have any of the symptoms commonly associated with it (thirst, frequent urination, nausea, blurry vision, fatigue, etc).
  • In regards to liver disease, I'd say that's extremely unlikely. I ingest a lot of sugar, I do aspirin every now and then, just 2 months ago I was having B1 for energy.

Which leaves me at something related with either the heart or hyperthyroidism or malnutrition.
  1. I checked my heart rate yesterday: 105bpm. It's a too high.
    • What can I do to get it back down on the short to medium term? Magnesium? Zinc? B1? I remember all of those made me feel calmer and seemingly made my pulse go down a bit.
    • Also, should I stop doing coffee for the time being?
  2. The hyperthyroid part is somewhat of a mystery.
    • I know I feel warm most of the time, and that my heart rate is somewhat high, but my nutrition has been poor and low protein as of late (high sugar for energy though).
I'll eat better in the coming weeks, and see if the issue persists, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm getting very nervous about this, seeing as I don't see Terry's Nails ever being discussed on the forum.

Edit: The following picture is a depiction of Terry's Nails + vertical ridging, and very similar to what I have (except my hands would be those of a 28yr old male)

73e120cc-29be-424d-a120-cc29bef24d91

Last edited:

somuch4food

Now that I look closely, I seem to have them too. I have only one lunula remaining on one of my thumb, I had not noticed this before. It's not as clearly as visible as on the picture you posted, but my nails are darker near the top and I have some ridges.

I think that started around the time I went on a low sugar clean eating diet that was too low in calories. So, in my case, it's probably malnutrition, or some organ damage from undereating.

I wouldn't worry too much about them since they seem to be a sign of metabolic distress (hence those associated conditions) that should resolve once proper nutrition is resumed.

biggirlkisss

I have issues with toenails thick lines and stuff. It was from too much milk creating nutritional lose.

OP
Jigend

Jigend

Update:

For the last 10 or so days I've been eating better (focus on protein, which is what was mostly absent from my diet) but, as expected, the half-in-half discoloration of the nails remains. In particular: Both thumbnails exhibit strong vertical lines and ridges but their shape is overall normal.

However, I've noticed that both index and middle fingers exhibit some bending downwards/ clubbing of the nail. This clubbing does seem mild, nothing like those extreme cases I see, related with serious lung conditions. I uncovered that it could be related to a condition referred to as pseudo-clubbing, and coincidentally enough, it is related with not only renal dysfunction, but also hyperparathyroidism, and as I've learned high PTH levels can lead to anemia/malabsorption of nutrients, which certainly makes a whole lot of sense and really does connect the dots! (During those times of extreme stress in the past 6 months, I'd use my basic Peat knowledge, and would drink some milk - which is known to lower PTH - to compensate for poor nutrition in the protein department. I have absolutely no idea if a cup of milk every 2 or so days would be enough to keep PTH levels at bay. Also: If there's a thing I've been doing all this time is drinking a whole lot of coffee, and this is supposed to keep PTH at bay isn't it?)

Also, when I look at the nails of both these fingers very closely, the skin at the base of the nail has very very tiny red blood-vessels showing. This has gotten me apprehensive: After all, nail clubbing is supposed to indicate respiratory problems isn't it? But the thing is that I breath perfectly well, and I checked by blood oxygen levels, and those were at around 97%/98%. Could it be related to poor circulation due to my sedentary lifestyle for the past 6 months?

ALL IN ALL: I'm still leaning towards the idea that these problems in were brought upon by malnutrition (low-protein) and pro-prolactin, pro-estrogen habits. Those led to:
  • Lindsay's/Terry's nails in all fingernails (low kidney function)
  • Ridged nails in all fingernails (low-zinc)
  • Pseudo-Clubbing in 4 fingernails as of now (low kidney function + high PTH)

In that sense, I've ordered some niacinamide for the first time ever (also interested in it's skin smoothing and mental focus effects), given the excellent information containing in this thread about how it helps the kidneys return to a normalized function, and how it also this one other thread about how niacinamide is very helpful against hyperparathyroidism. Also shamelessly tagging @haidut in the hopes of getting some second thoughts about this.
Regarding other things I could do:
  1. Would magnesium be a good way to keep the parathyroid hormone in check? I know that low levels of magnesium augment the levels of parathyroid secretion, but I think I've read somewhere that magnesium is also prescribed to HYPOparathyroid cases. If so, should I supplement with it?
  2. What about milk? How much milk should I have per day?
  3. I know I need to get more sun in order to boost D levels. Summer is coming. Would 1 or 2 hours of direct sunlight exposure be enough?
  4. Digging through this forum, I've found this study that connects kidney function to low vitamin K. It would make some sense in my case, seeing as I did quite a bit of 500mg aspirin a while back (again, as a way to deal with mental strain) but never took any K, as per Peat recommendations.
  5. Finally: Prolactin does seem to have a pro-PTH effect, and an anti-kidney function effect. No sunlight and no physical activity (**points at self**) is correlated with high prolactin, so in addition to more sunlight, I've been thinking about hitting the weights once again. What about a NoFap cycle?? Would this help too? I'd be willing to keep it going undefinetly, until this issue is solved.

I should add that other than these symptoms on my fingertips, I'm otherwise feeling great. No dizziness, no shortness of breath, super lucid, and no obvious negative physical symptom, especially ever since I somewhat fixed my diet.

Last edited:

churchmouth

With how slow nails grow you are going to have to test things for a long time to determine what works. I have vertical ridges and some fingers appear missing a distinct lunula

Bart1

Update:

For the last 10 or so days I've been eating better (focus on protein, which is what was mostly absent from my diet) but, as expected, the half-in-half discoloration of the nails remains. In particular: Both thumbnails exhibit strong vertical lines and ridges but their shape is overall normal.

However, I've noticed that both index and middle fingers exhibit some bending downwards/ clubbing of the nail. This clubbing does seem mild, nothing like those extreme cases I see, related with serious lung conditions. I uncovered that it could be related to a condition referred to as pseudo-clubbing, and coincidentally enough, it is related with not only renal dysfunction, but also hyperparathyroidism, and as I've learned high PTH levels can lead to anemia/malabsorption of nutrients, which certainly makes a whole lot of sense and really does connect the dots! (During those times of extreme stress in the past 6 months, I'd use my basic Peat knowledge, and would drink some milk - which is known to lower PTH - to compensate for poor nutrition in the protein department. I have absolutely no idea if a cup of milk every 2 or so days would be enough to keep PTH levels at bay. Also: If there's a thing I've been doing all this time is drinking a whole lot of coffee, and this is supposed to keep PTH at bay isn't it?)

Also, when I look at the nails of both these fingers very closely, the skin at the base of the nail has very very tiny red blood-vessels showing. This has gotten me apprehensive: After all, nail clubbing is supposed to indicate respiratory problems isn't it? But the thing is that I breath perfectly well, and I checked by blood oxygen levels, and those were at around 97%/98%. Could it be related to poor circulation due to my sedentary lifestyle for the past 6 months?

ALL IN ALL: I'm still leaning towards the idea that these problems in were brought upon by malnutrition (low-protein) and pro-prolactin, pro-estrogen habits. Those led to:

In that sense, I've ordered some niacinamide for the first time ever (also interested in it's skin smoothing and mental focus effects), given the excellent information containing in this thread about how it helps the kidneys return to a normalized function, and how it also this one other thread about how niacinamide is very helpful against hyperparathyroidism. Also shamelessly tagging @haidut in the hopes of getting some second thoughts about this.
  1. Would magnesium be a good way to keep the parathyroid hormone in check? I know that low levels of magnesium augment the levels of parathyroid secretion, but I think I've read somewhere that magnesium is also prescribed to HYPOparathyroid cases. If so, should I supplement with it?
  3. I know I need to get more sun in order to boost D levels. Summer is coming. Would 1 or 2 hours of direct sunlight exposure be enough?
  4. Digging through this forum, I've found this study that connects kidney function to low vitamin K. It would make some sense in my case, seeing as I did quite a bit of 500mg aspirin a while back (again, as a way to deal with mental strain) but never took any K, as per Peat recommendations.
  5. Finally: Prolactin does seem to have a pro-PTH effect, and an anti-kidney function effect. No sunlight and no physical activity (**points at self**) is correlated with high prolactin, so in addition to more sunlight, I've been thinking about hitting the weights once again. What about a NoFap cycle?? Would this help too? I'd be willing to keep it going undefinetly, until this issue is solved.

I should add that other than these symptoms on my fingertips, I'm otherwise feeling great. No dizziness, no shortness of breath, super lucid, and no obvious negative physical symptom, especially ever since I somewhat fixed my diet.[/QUOTE
Update:

I should add that other than these symptoms on my fingertips, I'm otherwise feeling great. No dizziness, no shortness of breath, super lucid, and no obvious negative physical symptom, especially ever since I somewhat fixed my diet.
hi nice post!

I also have weird signs with my nails. I do experience some sort of metabolic crisis. I’m still figuring out what’s wrong with me. I also have some clubbing (pseudo)on my nails. I did have some blood drawn up recently and my creatinine was slightly elevated.

I think it’s some sort of metabolic stress. Bad gut bacteria; high ammonia, low CO2, maybe increase in lactic acid, low thyroid, high prolactin and aldosterone. Kidneys and liver under stress. Indeed protein deficiency due to bad digestion and/or low protein intake. Maybe not enough Calcium, vitamin D . It could be a bit of a lagging indicator since nails grow slow. I also have iron problems; probably accumulated too much in my life since I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis 12 years ago. I do experience sometimes shortness of breath. But it seems I have chronic sinus issues (bad gut). I don’t think I have heart failure yet... at least I hope so

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals