Mushrooms - Solid + Liquid

Lightbringer

I know that a lot of people have recently included mushrooms in their diet. The recent newsletter mentioned that the 'extracts' being potent after the boiling which made me wonder if he was talking about the liquid part. He clarified that:

The water from boiled mushrooms contains much of the valuable stuff, apparently in about the same ratio as in the solid part, so it’s important to consume it, too.

Birdie

Sort of related, Kaspar...

When I began to read the mushroom newsletter and saw the first couple of sentences I flinched. Second paragraph starts, "in the 1970s and 80s studies showed that even occasional mushroom eating..." Cancers.....

Oh, no.

I've been using just a few in cooking, with the theory that a little couldn't hurt and was good for flavor.

Then, as I read on, my excitement mounted. Hooray! Mushrooms are helpful. Not raw, but I have no desire for raw ones. Gave up those and salads way back. Don't miss them.

And long cooking is good. Happy to have another simple ingredient. And delicious. Upping the mushrooms.

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

Yes, its great to have mushrooms on the list ! The only thing I'm grappling with is the liquid part. I'd prefer to eat only the cooked greens and mushrooms in my current state. I did not check about potatoes but hopefully its only the solid part he's referring to as nutritious.

Birdie

Well, my mushroom liquid is pretty good. I start with a little minced onion sauted in butter and co. Add mushrooms and salt and tiny sprinkle of garlic. Saute them. Then, add some stock. Today, added some white wine too. So, then cook covered for a hour or so. Then, evaporate most of the liquid by boiling with the top off. Some of the liquid soaks into the mushrooms. The liquid that's left works when I add the mushrooms to squash or meat... I would use them on potatoes if I could eat them.

But, sounds like you are wanting to eat them straight at the moment.

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

Ohh, now you're making it sound good ! Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it out. My version had just boiled water :roll:

Velve921

Just to clarify everyones thoughts, so drinking the mushroom liquid from boil and consuming the mushroom after boiling is helpful?

What is exactly supposed to be toxic if eaten raw? Do the toxins evaporate during cooking?

Sorry, I'm still waiting for the newsletter hence all the questions. Thanks!

onioneyedox

I think people here are mostly speaking about white button mushrooms. Different species have different toxins, but i guess what ever is commonly sold in stores are pretty safe. I think Ray said that these (non-lethal) toxins are destroyed by heat (he recommends boiling 1-3 hours).

Some mushrooms have toxins that evaporate or are dispersed in water and should be boiled in well ventilated area or outdoors even, so you should always know the species when preparing them raw.

Velve921

So last night I had about 4 cups of white button mushrooms. I boiled for 3 hours and then ate the mushrooms with the liquid mixed with butter and cheese. I was beyond cleaned out this morning! What does everyone think about my implementation and reaction?

milk_lover

Ewlevy1 said:
post 119482 So last night I had about 4 cups of white button mushrooms. I boiled for 3 hours and then ate the mushrooms with the liquid mixed with butter and cheese. I was beyond cleaned out this morning! What does everyone think about my implementation and reaction?
Sounds like a delicious meal! Did you have a strong bowel movement in the morning?

Last edited by a moderator:

milk_lover

Any thoughts about mushroom soup with salt and olive oil found in some restaurants?

Demyze

Velve921

milk_lover said:
post 119490
Ewlevy1 said:
post 119482 So last night I had about 4 cups of white button mushrooms. I boiled for 3 hours and then ate the mushrooms with the liquid mixed with butter and cheese. I was beyond cleaned out this morning! What does everyone think about my implementation and reaction?
Sounds like a delicious meal! Did you have a strong bowel movement in the morning?

Not to be graphic I've had to go to the bathroom 4x this morning over 2 hours....stomach a little achy but nothing serious. I noticed gas after consuming mushrooms last night and through the night. I did a lot of mushrooms of course because I was addicted to the taste haha Thus far I would say its a success. I will keep everyone posted if I feel different over the next day.

milk_lover

Ewlevy1 said:
post 119500
milk_lover said:
post 119490
Ewlevy1 said:

Not to be graphic I've had to go to the bathroom 4x this morning over 2 hours....stomach a little achy but nothing serious. I noticed gas after consuming mushrooms last night and through the night. I did a lot of mushrooms of course because I was addicted to the taste haha Thus far I would say its a success. I will keep everyone posted if I feel different over the next day.
:D :thumbleft

In Ray Peat's latest interview, if I remember correctly, he mentioned half a cup to a cup to be a good serving for the mushrooms. Maybe you overdid it and got the gas.

Velve921

He did say that and that is my plan for the future, however, they were so delicious I just went for it :)

And yes that thought of intestinal stress occurred :)

Birdie

Thanks, milk. Always like to know what he considers a serving size.

I'll be adding sautéed mushrooms to our flanken ribs this weekend. Our local country store sells meat from their ranch. These have the bones attached too. Found "Balaboostas Jewish Flanken Recipe" online. A few substitutions, including the mushrooms, and think it'll be good.

Velve921

Just an update on my mushroom intake, I've been doing 2 cups a day for 1 week...the first 2-3 days there was some gaseyness. But each day improved...now there is no gaseyness...I have been making more bowel movements daily. Not sure if this makes sense with everyones results...but it seems it could initially have a strong anti-bacterial effect?

Anyone see similar results? And btw I love the mushrooms! I've been doing 2 cups boiled for 3 hours..then mixed with butter and cheese in almost a soup. Unreal!

lindsay

Just an update on my mushroom intake, I've been doing 2 cups a day for 1 week...the first 2-3 days there was some gaseyness. But each day improved...now there is no gaseyness...I have been making more bowel movements daily. Not sure if this makes sense with everyones results...but it seems it could initially have a strong anti-bacterial effect?

Anyone see similar results? And btw I love the mushrooms! I've been doing 2 cups boiled for 3 hours..then mixed with butter and cheese in almost a soup. Unreal!

I LOVE mushrooms. But every time I eat them, they seem to cause intestinal distress. I was assuming that it was because I didn't necessarily cook them for 3 hours, or maybe it was the kind I ate - I am always drawn to Crimini mushrooms at the grocery store. So I tried again this past weekend and cooked the things for the 3 hours until 5 cups were reduced to about 2 cups with some liquid. I didn't eat all of that. Still got intestinal distress. I just find them really really difficult to digest - probably due to the proteins. Maybe if I power through it for a few days it will get better, but next time I will try white button mushrooms and cook them very slowly and overnight in the crock pot. Glad to hear they got easier to digest for you Ewlevy1!

Velve921

Yes, I need to re read Dr. Peat's newsletter again and see if that can give an idea of the overall effect?

What are your symptoms of intestinal distress?

Ukall

Just wondering, is there any specific specie of mushroom ideal to eat? Or any kind is ok?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals