Fermenting Buckwheat, Seitan, And Natto

CDT

Hey everyone, just wanted to post one last thread to complete the recent trifecta. I started noticing gut symptoms ever since I started including seitan in my diet, and have been off seitan for about 2 weeks. However, dysbiosis symptoms are still in effect, and I am concerned that it may be due to the fact that I may be supporting a pathogenic gut microbe due to the diet. I should clarify that I am a vegetarian, and my diet is typically:

Morning (9 am-10 am): 1 orange, green tea + blackstrap molasses
Lunch (12 pm): None, got classes, no time
Lunch-Dinner (4pm): fermented buckwheat oats (milk, buckwheat groats, apple cider vinegar fermented over 2 days) + peanuts + fruit (not consumed in tandem, I try to utilize Herbert Shelton's Food combining approach to optimize digestion)
Dinner (8pm - 11pm)- Scrambled eggs + broccoli + carrots (steamed) + shiitake mushrooms

I tend to snack on fruits like dates in between lunch-Dinner and Dinner times. Also, I sometimes have food very late in the evening, coul this be an issue? I have milk, but usually by itself (again, food combining is important). I also drink unfiltered water form the tap (my apartment is new, I was hoping they had a filter). Finally, I have the illumin8 protein shake twice a day, which provides 40g of protein.

Thanks in advance for any insight on how I can get over this digestive upset. Its especially bad in the morning, and it gave me problems all day long today.

I wonder if the shiitake mushrooms are cuasing the dysbiosis. Perhaps I dont wash them enough? I havent had any arugula this week

redsun

Hey everyone, just wanted to post one last thread to complete the recent trifecta. I started noticing gut symptoms ever since I started including seitan in my diet, and have been off seitan for about 2 weeks. However, dysbiosis symptoms are still in effect, and I am concerned that it may be due to the fact that I may be supporting a pathogenic gut microbe due to the diet. I should clarify that I am a vegetarian, and my diet is typically:

Morning (9 am-10 am): 1 orange, green tea + blackstrap molasses
Lunch (12 pm): None, got classes, no time
Lunch-Dinner (4pm): fermented buckwheat oats (milk, buckwheat groats, apple cider vinegar fermented over 2 days) + peanuts + fruit (not consumed in tandem, I try to utilize Herbert Shelton's Food combining approach to optimize digestion)
Dinner (8pm - 11pm)- Scrambled eggs + broccoli + carrots (steamed) + shiitake mushrooms

I tend to snack on fruits like dates in between lunch-Dinner and Dinner times. Also, I sometimes have food very late in the evening, coul this be an issue? I have milk, but usually by itself (again, food combining is important). I also drink unfiltered water form the tap (my apartment is new, I was hoping they had a filter). Finally, I have the illumin8 protein shake twice a day, which provides 40g of protein.

Thanks in advance for any insight on how I can get over this digestive upset. Its especially bad in the morning, and it gave me problems all day long today.

I wonder if the shiitake mushrooms are cuasing the dysbiosis. Perhaps I dont wash them enough? I havent had any arugula this week

You are vegetarian and you are wondering why you have dysbiosis? From what I can estimate from the types of foods you eat sounds like you are probably getting lots of fiber and generally consume hard to digest foods. I am not going to bother to try to convince you to not be vegetarian but keep in mind all these fiber filled foods do you little good.

The nutrients especially minerals have way lower bioavailability. Eggs and dairy are not going to save you from all that fiber. Food combining is for people who eat crappy hard to digest foods. Then they think food combining works when in the end just eating easily digestible foods any time you want eliminates the concern. You can eat animal foods, especially meat, at anytime of the day without issues and don't have to think twice about food combining nonsense.

Easily digestible starches + meat, seafood, eggs, dairy + fruit, other simple sugars. Get rid of hard to digest crap and eat nutrient dense good stuff that is easy on the body. Why bother with oats and peanuts? I'd imagine the peanuts are because you crave fat, just eat some chocolate or some animal fat based food. That's what you are really craving in the end, animal fats not plant oils.

OP
C

CDT

You are vegetarian and you are wondering why you have dysbiosis? From what I can estimate from the types of foods you eat sounds like you are probably getting lots of fiber and generally consume hard to digest foods. I am not going to bother to try to convince you to not be vegetarian but keep in mind all these fiber filled foods do you little good.

The nutrients especially minerals have way lower bioavailability. Eggs and dairy are not going to save you from all that fiber. Food combining is for people who eat crappy hard to digest foods. Then they think food combining works when in the end just eating easily digestible foods any time you want eliminates the concern. You can eat animal foods, especially meat, at anytime of the day without issues and don't have to think twice about food combining nonsense.

Easily digestible starches + meat, seafood, eggs, dairy + fruit, other simple sugars. Get rid of hard to digest crap and eat nutrient dense good stuff that is easy on the body. Why bother with oats and peanuts? I'd imagine the peanuts are because you crave fat, just eat some chocolate or some animal fat based food. That's what you are really craving in the end, animal fats not plant oils.

Interesting that you say that. I am actually so averse to meat that thinking about things like chicken or beef make my stomach churn. I haven't had this gut problem before, but I should also mention I noticed flu-like symptoms last week. I dont get vaccinations, and perhaps I might just be sick and adjusting to the new strain going around....
I think I should consult with a doctor, but I wont take any medication/antibiotics.

Last edited:
OP
C

CDT

And by the way, there are mountains of evidence supporting the claim that fiber fosters "good gut bacteria", although @haidut (Georgi) would claim there is no such thing as a good gut microbe. When you start flooding your body with animal nutrients, you are severely repressing the symptoms, as the bacteria may still be active and secreting endotoxin, but physically displacing those bacteria with beneficial populations serves a greater purpose towards health.

redsun

Apparently, this guy's serotonin is over 9000. Take some aspirin, my dude.

I was being serious, by all means prove me wrong. That's funny though, seeing as having consistent digestive issues is an obvious sign of high serotonin. Don't get upset with me, I gave you honest advice I am not going to tell you bull**** lies. You would see some digestive improvement by reducing fiber-filled foods and increasing egg and dairy intake for calories instead if you are so hell-bent on not eating meat which at this point I assume is for religious or emotional reasons, which is the same thing anyway.

OP
C

CDT

I was being serious, by all means prove me wrong. That's funny though, seeing as having consistent digestive issues is an obvious sign of high serotonin. Don't get upset with me, I gave you honest advice I am not going to tell you bull**** lies. You would see some digestive improvement by reducing fiber-filled foods and increasing egg and dairy intake for calories instead if you are so hell-bent on not eating meat which at this point I assume is for religious or emotional reasons, which is the same thing anyway.

Well thanks for the clarification. Woke up this morning with NO pain or indigestion. I think I was just sick and getting worked up about it since I'm learning more about the gut microbiome. I actually cut out eggs and and processed foods while I was progressing with this illness, which I think helped me improve.