Fungal Sugar (trehalose) May Treat Fatty Liver Disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray wrote in one of his recent newsletters about mushrooms and their beneficial effects on human health (if well cooked). In particular, he wrote about the sugar trehalose found exclusively in mushrooms and how it stabilizes the cells of the animals that eat it. This study now says that eating the human equivalent of about 20g - 25g trehalose daily can not only reverse fatty liver disease but also lead to weight loss. This amount of trehalose is easily achievable by eating about 3-4 ounces of muchrooms.
The only thing I don't like about this study is the mechanism they proposes for trehalose's effects. The study says that trehalose was beneficial due to interfering with the liver's ability to metabolize fructose. I personally don't buy that, but still the main takeaway from the study is that a relatively low dose of mushrooms eaten for a few weeks can reverse fatty liver disease that apparently at least 25% of the US population has.

Trehalose inhibits solute carrier 2A (SLC2A) proteins to induce autophagy and prevent hepatic steatosis | Science Signaling
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160223143140.htm

"...
Now, studying mice, new research shows that a natural sugar called trehalose prevents the sugar fructose -- thought to be a major contributor to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease -- from entering the liver and triggers a cellular housekeeping process that cleans up excess fat buildup inside liver cells. The research, by a team at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, appears Feb. 23 in the journal Science Signaling. "In general, if you feed a mouse a high-sugar diet, it gets a fatty liver," said first author Brian J. DeBosch, MD, PhD, a pediatric gastroenterologist. "We found that if you feed a mouse a diet high in fructose plus provide drinking water that contains three percent trehalose, you completely block the development of a fatty liver. Those mice also had lower body weights at the end of the study and lower levels of circulating cholesterol, fatty acids and triglycerides."

Kasper

Nice find! I have bought pure trehalose sugar, and I put it in my coffee, tastes good.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Great find! :hattip

Velve921

Kasper,

What differences have you noticed with Trehalose sugar versus cane sugar?

I've been using cane sugar and curious if switching could be a thought to consider.

Kasper

@Ewlevy1 I think you can't use trehalose in the quantities you can use sugar. If I take too much trehalose, I seem to get a lot of farts. But maybe that is individually very specific.

The reason I prefer trehalose (I take less than 50 gram a day), is because sugar sometimes can leave my teeth sensitive. I don't have this at all with trehalose.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
3-4oz of Mushrooms, is that dried weight? Cooked?

Look at figures 6, 7, 8, and 9 of this link:
http://www.ajofai.info/Abstract/Evaluation of rare sugar content from edible mushroom.pdf

Some mushrooms have as much as 18% trehalose by dry weight.
Trehalose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finally, this link says that some mushrooms have as much as 10g+ per 100g of dry weight, so eating 150g per day would give you the amount used in the study.
Edible Mushrooms

Velve921

Interesting you talk about teeth sensitivity....I notice that I never get teeth issues from sucrose or fructose; however, I do get severe teeth sensitivity from sugar products like gum, soda, and all desserts with gums, beans, corn syrup...cane sugar specifically gives you teeth issues?

FredSonoma

Interesting you talk about teeth sensitivity....I notice that I never get teeth issues from sucrose or fructose; however, I do get severe teeth sensitivity from sugar products like gum, soda, and all desserts with gums, beans, corn syrup...cane sugar specifically gives you teeth issues?

What would be different about cane sugar from sucrose? My teeth have gotten really sensitive since starting Peating and I am pretty worried about it.

Tarmander

What would be different about cane sugar from sucrose? My teeth have gotten really sensitive since starting Peating and I am pretty worried about it.

You have to be super diligent with orange juice or soda or anything acidic. I have milk always on hand to swish around after I drink something on the acidic list. Sometimes I think I can get away with it, but within about a day I am back to feeling sensitive teeth.

Velve921

FredSonoma -

I can answer as to why they would get more sensitive? From my general understanding sucrose should not cause teeth issues as it stimulates thyroid production; however, if PTH is high then could that have an effect? (I'm totally shooting in the dark)

I believe Matt Stone discussed in a video how he rarily brushes his teeth since he starting consuming higher amounts of sugar. Last year I was drinking a gallon of OJ, Half a gallon of milk, and 1 cup of ice cream a day and never had any issues with sugar causing discomfort of my teeth. Also, I use to get terrible teeth/gum pains from regular gum last year, I tried a piece of dubble bubble with corn syrup the other day and had no issues.

nomoreketones

If Trehalose blocks fructose from entering the liver then what happens to the fructose that is blocked?

I thought fructose needed to enter the liver to be converted to liver glycogen?

lindsay

Here is what I do not understand about mushrooms - is there a specific type of mushrooms one should be eating? Or are they all generally going to contain this Trehalose? I've tried to eat well cooked organic Crimini mushrooms about a month or two ago and they did not digest well. Which got me thinking if there was a kind of mushroom that would be easier to digest? Or do I just need to cook the things in a crockpot overnight for like ten hours? I love mushrooms - they are delicious! But they didn't feel delicious going down.

Also, when getting blood tests, what tests would show if one has fatty liver? I don't think I do, but it's good to keep these things in mind when visiting doctors and getting blood work.

I am going to update my experiences with megadosing Trehalose soon. This stuff is sensational!!!!!

Can't believe how many impressive studies there are on this sugar.
Wow, can’t wait to hear. I haven’t opened the bag of trehalose I bought last year after realizing mine was synthesized from tapioca starch