Mushrooms - Solid + Liquid

tara

There are definitely some to not eat. :)
White button mushrooms have been mentioned a couple of times as having some of the favourable qualities. Don't know about others.

tara

Lynne

What about canned organic mushrooms?

Does anyone know how canned mushrooms compare to the 3hour cooked ones? They could be a good option when travelling and not having facilities to cook things for hours. I also saw a mention of freezing them and wondered if freezing before cooking would reduce the necessary cooking time...

postman

A strange recommendation because agaritine (the carcinogen) is water soluble, when you boil mushrooms most of it will seep out into the cooking water. Some nutritional authorites recommend to discard the water for this reason.

https://web.vscht.cz/~hajslovj/publications/schuzlova_agaritine_fac_vol19_p853-862.pdf

raypeatmushrooms.png

bookshelf

I need to ask Ray Peat what he thinks about mushroom teas.
I know this was ages ago but did you ever find out what RP thinks about mushroom teas? I froze the liquid from boiling off the mushrooms and have used it for making rice and even added it to a cup of coffee (not bad, actually). I am wondering about the benefits of the liquid (which looks a lot like a tea).