Mushroom/Bark Extract With InstantPot

Inaut

So i was looking up simple extraction methods and white button mushrooms and stumbled on this recipe. Pretty simple but it combines Pau D'arcp, burdock root, chaga and reishi mushrooms. Ill give it a go I think. Would make it easy for a large batch.

Morning Mushroom Magic Tonic
February 7, 2018 Joey Rea
Morning+Mushroom+Magic+Tonic+Recipe+by+Wild+Sun+Wellness%2C+Adaptogenic+Herbal+Blends

So, I have been playing around with herbal ingredients, what's new... But I was checking out my selection the other day and was thinking hmm, I am just coming off of a cleanse and I want a nice and gentle detox tea to support the end of it. I was thinking something to stimulate my liver and support an overall blood purifying effect, so I grabbed my burdock root and pau d'arco. Right as I was grabbing those, my reishi slices caught my eye, so I grabbed those too. I was thinking, hey reishi will support gentle liver detoxification as well, why not toss it in since I love it's mild adaptogenic and calming effect. And of course I, being my creative self, decided this was definitely missing something. I then rummaged through my pantry looking for that last ingredient, chaga. This was slowly becoming a medicinal fungus filled tea.

I tossed these 4 ingredients in my InstantPot, filled it with water and let it pressure cook for 8 minutes. It was a PERFECT decoction*!! Quick, easy, delicious and super nourishing.

As I mentioned above, I was just coming off of my winter Kitchari Cleanse so I made this for my morning drink deciding to stay off coffee as long as I possibly could. So obviously, I did this lil' baby up to the best of my knowledge. I added a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Needless to say, coffee has not been missed since I discovered this fantastic herbal tonic...

*Decoction: An herbal preparation similar to a tea, but simmered and cooked for a longer period of time because of the plant parts used (typically roots, stems, barks, seeds, mushrooms).

IMG_7639.jpeg
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_8444.JPG

The Plants
  • Burdock Root [Arctium lappa]
    This root is a wonderful source of inulin (a prebiotic for our good bacteria to thrive off of). It is also very nourishing, full of minerals and vitamins like phosphorous, calcium, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and ascorbic acid. It can support healthy skin because of its detoxifying properties and mechanisms in the liver, kidneys and gallbladder. It is super tasty too, both earthy and sweet.

• Pau D'Arco Bark [Tabebuia impetiginosa]
    Pau d'arco is awesome, it purifies the blood, supports lymphatic stimulation and detoxification and is one of our best anti-fungals. Not only is it anti-fungals, but it is antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-parasitic as well.

• Chaga Mushroom [Inonotus obliquus]
    This tasty mushroom is super high in antioxidants. It is known to have anti-tumor properties (pretty powerful stuff!!). Chaga is also wonderful for digestive issues such as ulcers and gut problems that manifest in the skin like psoriasis. It also helps to modulate the immune system, as do many other medicinal mushrooms.

• Red Reishi Mushroom [Ganoderma lucidum]
    Reishi is amazing, I can't say enough about it. It is fantastic for the liver, for the heart, for the lungs, for the immune system... basically for the entire human body. It is known as the "Mushroom of Immortality" because of it's inconceivable healing properties and ability to calm the nervous system and support regulation of the endocrine system (aka it's adaptogenic).
Morning Mushroom Magic Tonic
Here is what you'll need
1 tsp Burdock root
1 tsp Pau D'arco
1 tsp Chaga
2 Slices of Reishi
32 oz water

Here is what you'll do

1. Place all ingredients in a pot, pour 32 oz over the herbs and turn the heat on high until it reaches a boil.

2. Turn down to a simmer, keep covered and be sure it doesn't overflow.
    ------> I used my instant pot on high pressure for 8 minutes, I prefer this method to avoid any spillage mess and to eliminate the evaporating water while it simmers.

3. This can simmer for a very long time, but at least 2 hours is key for the mushrooms in this blend.

4. Strain away the plant from the liquid and there you have it.

5. Optional: If you want to make it super duper extra amazing, feel free to add a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a teaspoon of ghee, a splash of organic canned coconut milk and some protein or collagen (I like Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides) then blend it all together. YUM!!

ttps://wildsunwellness.com/blog/2018/02/07/morning-mushroom-magic-tonic

LeeLemonoil

What’s the benefit of pressure cooking here? The avoidance of evaporation or does it extract better?

OP
Inaut

Inaut

I think the high temperature would make extraction more efficient. I could be wrong though..

I think the last part about adding coconut oil and blending it all together would add extra benefits for a liposomal delivery (of the lapachol/beta lapachone for example)