Moving To The Tropics

OP
John Frusciante
High places in the Canary Islands are not really suitable for year round living, and they aren't high enough, and the ones that are, start being very cold because it's only in the subtropics.
In central Mexico, Ecuador, etc. places on an altitude that is noticeable health-wise have a good temperate climate. Mexico also has low humidity in the central part, that helps.

James_001

If you find a good place please let us know. I am looking to do this myself in the next couple of years. I don't think it is possible for me to get healthy in a cold northern climate.

Xisca

High places in the Canary Islands are not really suitable for year round living, and they aren't high enough, and the ones that are, start being very cold because it's only in the subtropics.
That is totally true, it is just not too bad when you want to stay in Europe!
But if you stay at low altitude in Winter, thenn the temps are ok, and the proximity to the sea is helpful.
Remember that the 1st humans were nomadic, but in a known area, they were just moving to live in the best adequate place according to the time of the year.

It is just a guess, but may be we can benefit more from altitude when we do not live at high places all the time?
If you mix conclusions from Buteyko and from benefits form altitude, that is possible....
This would be a topic by itself....

Amazoniac

Imposed adaptation not often occurs with proper energy, and adapting to a different environment requires a great deal of it. As you lose vitality, you seek comfort in the place that you adapted the best, even if it was an awful environment with nasty conditions. It's likely that the place that you spent most of your childhood is where it would be seeked for settling because that's when you had a lot of energy and an imposed condition, so not just because that's where most of your relatives are. I guess that it's also why you can't sit for too long with a problem, it becomes the norm!

Had this thought after reading this poetry.

I just realized that the almost north half of Australia is in the tropics. Does anyone know the coastal tropical AU places to see that are sunny and have locally grown fruit?

We don't like starch, we like sugar.

lol

Didn't you say recently that you love cereal?

Outside of sweet potato, which is a unique food and it has fructose, cooked starch isn't meant to be sweet. Fruit is. They serve different purposes. Maybe one could live on no fruit at all as long as they got enough vitamin C from somewhere else. And you could say that one could live on no starch at all and got their sugar from somewhere else. I think people forget that we convert starch into sugar, mainly by the pancreas. We can also convert amino acids into sugar but that's not the same as converting starch. There are byproducts and energy things going on in that situation that make it very different.

"It’s a contradiction to talk about instincts with respect to nutrition and then ignore that there are times when our hunger for carbohydrates varies from the desire for something sweet to the need for something starchy, satisfying, and soothing." -not a Peat quote but a good one.

the REAL lIfe John Frusciante???!!!1111111

I don't think it is because in this thread he said that AU is too expensive for him, unless he blew all of the money he made from something called music publishing, which is when a songwriter gets royalties for their songs and all that touring money as well. Looking at RHCP songwriter credits, he's on there so the guy made a metric f-ton of money.

@John Frusciante Just go to Hawaii. I can tell you how to get consistently good fruit there. I've lived there for 6 months over the last year. It's not as hot and humid as FL. In MX, you never know when the cartel will grab you and/or you wake up in a tub with a note saying "get to the nearest hospital, we took your kidneys.."

Last edited:

shepherdgirl

What are some decent places in the contiguous US? Maybe Colorado? Utah? El Paso? NM? Anyone know the fruit situation in these places?

Waynish

I wouldn't chase altitude. You can purchase things that allow you to simulate high altitude in your choice location. I would choose based on people #1, food #2, and natural beauty #3. This list might help your persuit, however: List of cities by elevation - Wikipedia

Xisca

A topic that stopped at the end of last winter, and revived at the beginning of the next winter! :)

Snowdrop

I just realized that the almost north half of Australia is in the tropics. Does anyone know the coastal tropical AU places to see that are sunny and have locally grown fruit?

I grew up in Cairns and have just recently moved back. It is extremely hot and humid during the summer and the sun is intense. Tropical fruit is abundant and ripe. Mango's and lychees are my favourite, which I am enjoying thoroughly this summer.

The tablelands sit roughly between 600 - 1200 metres and are cooler. Lots of farms are situated in this area and provide work for tourists wanting to pick fruit.

Maleny is also a lovely place to visit and live, it is located on the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. It gets hot there but nowhere near as humid as further north. They have raw milk, raw cheese, soy free eggs, grass fed organic beef, and organic fruit and vegetables. The surf is only a 20 - 30 minute drive and there is plenty of outdoor activities to be enjoyed.

The tropics definitely needs an adjustment period.

Nighteyes

A topic that stopped at the end of last winter, and revived at the beginning of the next winter! :)

Haha excellent point! For me it would be Cairns or Port Douglas in north Australia! If there was not family and other ties that would be left behind by my leaving... then sleepovers at tyw’s place would be a real possibillity and not just something of my imagination :p

O

Oniyogini

I live in South-East QLD and we eat locally grown watermelon, papaya (almost year-round), mango, dragon fruit and presently lychees in season now. They grow many varieties of bananas here too but we don't eat too many of those..even though they are very tasty like a cream custard dessert. Oh also sweet potatoes- pink and Japanese purple...

O

Oniyogini

I grew up in Cairns and have just recently moved back. It is extremely hot and humid during the summer and the sun is intense. Tropical fruit is abundant and ripe. Mango's and lychees are my favourite, which I am enjoying thoroughly this summer.

The tablelands sit roughly between 600 - 1200 metres and are cooler. Lots of farms are situated in this area and provide work for tourists wanting to pick fruit.

Maleny is also a lovely place to visit and live, it is located on the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. It gets hot there but nowhere near as humid as further north. They have raw milk, raw cheese, soy free eggs, grass fed organic beef, and organic fruit and vegetables. The surf is only a 20 - 30 minute drive and there is plenty of outdoor activities to be enjoyed.

The tropics definitely needs an adjustment period.
We live in Maleny... :)

G Forrest

What are some decent places in the contiguous US? Maybe Colorado? Utah? El Paso? NM? Anyone know the fruit situation in these places?

Expect cold, snowy winters in Colorado. I've often thought about NM: lots of places around 2000m altitude, with nearly year round sun. Santa Fe seems like a really nice town. I'd be concerned about radiation there though with the nuclear tests. Also, a major drug route goes straight through NM from Mexico. Parts of California have some elevation, but you still have the extreme temperature fluctuations in the parts with elevation, and I've lived in southern California, the produce in most stores is not great, but of course you can grow pretty much any kind of citrus there.

Interesting that Peat seems to have his primary residence in Eugene, OR, which has pretty high levels of precipitation and humidity year round, cold winters, and is only at 800 ft elevation. Maybe there is amazing produce and milk there.

I'm wondering if simply spending a few weekends in a high altitude place every so often throughout the year would suffice for keep healthy levels of CO2. It just doesn't seem logistically plausible to just up and leave where you are to live full time in a high altitude place just for the added benefits of extra CO2, unless you have a decent nest egg and could live sustainably without the stress of not having to come up with income. So why not just live in a city or town close to a mountain where you could spend a few days in a cabin up in altitude?

shepherdgirl

I'm wondering if simply spending a few weekends in a high altitude place every so often throughout the year would suffice for keep healthy levels of CO2.
Yes, from what Dr. Peat says I think it would make a difference. Here he is answering a question on that very topic:
HD: At sea level! [Laughs] Well, my mother and I just climbed the Michoacan mountains in Mexico, and we were staying in Pátzcuaro which is a town 7,200 feet in elevation and for the short 7 days we were there, the health benefits were very noticeable and I am looking forward to them lasting for more than one week. So, Dr Peat, you are suggesting if someone spends a week to a month at a higher elevation, then the health benefits will last for - how long will they last?

RP: Oh, after a month, probably a year and a half, something like that. A friend of mine who was there at that altitude last winter for, I guess, almost 2 months lost 20 pounds whilst he was there.
From KMUD Herb Doctors radio show on altitude, July 2013

wesheilman

@John Frusciante,
Places I'm considering: Mexico, Costarica, Ecuador. I disregarded SEA mostly because I'm pretty sure I won't fit well into their culture -- many travelers, mostly fruit-based travelers, reported that as well, that they felt like outsiders all the time.

I will add more details if you have any question about this experience, I've researched a lot of things, so if you have a similar idea feel free to interact or even PM me if you want.

I see you disregarded South East Asia mostly, but did you happen to do any research at all on Indonesia? I have had a friend trying to get me to move out there for years, and am curious whether that would be a Peat-friendly environment, disincluding the cultural reception. Jakarta and Bali specifically.

GAF

Don't forget to consider Volcanos going off in all those areas. Magma and ash are not peaty.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals