Best US states for becoming self-sustainable/a small farmer (need to move ASAP)

JamesGatz

I have spent nearly my entire life (with my family) living in NY and it was never perfect but recently I have found it to be completely unbearable.

This weekend I took the train for the first time in a while and all I saw were wall-mounted TV'S on the train carts and stations with "Get boosted and mask up" and "Reduce your carbon footprint and electricity usage doing XYZ!" - It's bizarre because I've never seen this carbon footprint propaganda in public until now and now I see it all over the place. I feel like I'm living in Crazy Town.

FOZldUNWYAQNkoj.jpg

And then theres the women - 99% of women I meet in this state are jabbed and 90% of women I see when I step outside literally wears their mask outside - It's bizarre to walk around as a maskless-pureblood and I find myself getting into conflicts with strangers frequently over these bizarre rules. I feel like many in this state is stuck in this low-dopamine/high-serotonergic state that makes them unbearable to talk to and associate with.

I know it's time for me to leave ASAP - I want to set up myself for future success when the inevitable Food shortages come around and when this Police state gets worse - I am looking for a state that would provide many of the following:

ph-westernf.jpg

- A LOT of open space (especially forests, mountains - a place where one can be at peace with Nature and can make a home for farm animals and small batches of crops (such as potatoes, and different fruit)

- I prefer to be far away from underground military bases and things of this nature such as the bases in Colorado and Arizona, but they are many others

- Preferably High Altitude, but not a necessity

- I'm ok with living in the middle of nowhere as long as I am within driving distance of some cities I can drive to so I can talk to people so I don't get lonely.

- Women that are more traditional and actually have views that align with my own (I have actually met a few women down south that actually share some of my views so I know they're out there) - I don't even mind if the girls in the city aren't that young because TBH I don't have ultra high standards for girls - I just can't stand being around the estrogenic, ego-maniac chicks that are in NY

Literally Girls that I meet in every other state (Pennsylvania, Florida, Connecticut, etc.) are prettier and actually have a brain compared to the girls I am surrounded with in my state.

My family is moving to Florida this year if I don't have enough money or a place already than I have to go with them. I don't mind Florida, but it just feels very difficult to maintain high DHT/metabolism in Florida - the heat is unbearable and I feel like many people in Florida run around in a hyper-estrogenic state (I think this is the reason for the crazy driving and Florida Man meme) and I'm trying to actually grow crops and buy smaller farm animals. I think this is very difficult to do in Florida. I feel like you can only grow tropical fruits and only animals that thrive in Florida I believe are reptiles

Nebula

Idaho/Montana IMO
That region has its limitations. Land isn’t cheap here anymore. Shorter growing season. Only non pitted fruits (apples, cherries, grapes) are reliable because of late frosts. Requires a lot of hay for ruminant livestock. Realistically only enough pasture grass from mid may to September. Hay has doubled in price in the last few years. Might double again. You usually have to irrigate everything with well water run sprinklers (it’s a high mountain desert). It’s not the worst place to farm, but definitely has its challenges and limits.

I’m from this region and recently bought 6 acres next to my brother who also has 6 acres. Our plan is to develop it into permaculture style alley crops with apples, cherries, chestnuts, hazelnuts and black locusts for nitrogen fixers and firewood. Probably focus more on chickens and rabbits as livestock at first. Maybe sheep and a cow, calf and bull eventually if we can secure reliable abundant hay for winter. Basically plan on making this my refugia for the rest of my life and maybe something that will help my children I hope to father have some solace and self sufficiency in whatever happens over the next era.

Another big challenge about this area are the deer and elk. They will destroy any young tree and almost anything edible. You have to put a lot of effort into protecting them while they are young. From what I hear Arkansas and Missouri are cheaper and easier to homestead than most parts of North America right now. High rainfall. Longer growing season. Cheaper land.

Last edited:

PhilParma

Eastern South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri. A state with good land/soil, but also a state where politics hasn't been ruined by a big city. So no Illinois since Chicago ruins it. Minnesota is similar, with Minneapolis ruining the rest of the state. Other possibly acceptable states might be Iowa, Wisconsin, or Missouri. Maybe Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas as long as you stay close to the Mississippi River. Maybe Texas or Oklahoma; fertile soil, but is it too dry down there? I don't really know, I'm just spitballing.

PhilParma

Indiana could be good too.
I've been glancing at some maps:
1) Soils map
2) Drought vulnerable soils landscape map
3) Both overlaid

Attachments

• fig3_2.gif
    fig3_2.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 45
  • dvs.jpg
    dvs.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 42
  • dvs2.jpg
    dvs2.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 46

PhilParma

Still looking at maps, I guess soil quality and elevation are inversely correlated. Montana and North Dakota have a mix of both, but you're getting pretty remote and lonely up there. Colorado could be good east of Denver, but the politics might be unacceptable.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
My brother and wife have made a great life for themselves, predominantly “living off the land” in Tijeras, NM. I don’t know how great the soil is and there aren’t many trees/mountains, but it is relatively inexpensive to live there and they are surrounded by likeminded “pure bloods”. Tijeras is 30 min east of Albuquerque. Best of luck to you, wherever this next chapter takes you.

I have spent nearly my entire life (with my family) living in NY and it was never perfect but recently I have found it to be completely unbearable.

This weekend I took the train for the first time in a while and all I saw were wall-mounted TV'S on the train carts and stations with "Get boosted and mask up" and "Reduce your carbon footprint and electricity usage doing XYZ!" - It's bizarre because I've never seen this carbon footprint propaganda in public until now and now I see it all over the place. I feel like I'm living in Crazy Town.

View attachment 35326

And then theres the women - 99% of women I meet in this state are jabbed and 90% of women I see when I step outside literally wears their mask outside - It's bizarre to walk around as a maskless-pureblood and I find myself getting into conflicts with strangers frequently over these bizarre rules. I feel like many in this state is stuck in this low-dopamine/high-serotonergic state that makes them unbearable to talk to and associate with.

I know it's time for me to leave ASAP - I want to set up myself for future success when the inevitable Food shortages come around and when this Police state gets worse - I am looking for a state that would provide many of the following:

View attachment 35328

- A LOT of open space (especially forests, mountains - a place where one can be at peace with Nature and can make a home for farm animals and small batches of crops (such as potatoes, and different fruit)

- I prefer to be far away from underground military bases and things of this nature such as the bases in Colorado and Arizona, but they are many others

- Preferably High Altitude, but not a necessity

- I'm ok with living in the middle of nowhere as long as I am within driving distance of some cities I can drive to so I can talk to people so I don't get lonely.

- Women that are more traditional and actually have views that align with my own (I have actually met a few women down south that actually share some of my views so I know they're out there) - I don't even mind if the girls in the city aren't that young because TBH I don't have ultra high standards for girls - I just can't stand being around the estrogenic, ego-maniac chicks that are in NY

Literally Girls that I meet in every other state (Pennsylvania, Florida, Connecticut, etc.) are prettier and actually have a brain compared to the girls I am surrounded with in my state.

My family is moving to Florida this year if I don't have enough money or a place already than I have to go with them. I don't mind Florida, but it just feels very difficult to maintain high DHT/metabolism in Florida - the heat is unbearable and I feel like many people in Florida run around in a hyper-estrogenic state (I think this is the reason for the crazy driving and Florida Man meme) and I'm trying to actually grow crops and buy smaller farm animals. I think this is very difficult to do in Florida. I feel like you can only grow tropical fruits and only animals that thrive in Florida I believe are reptiles
I'm in Miami and I'm growing potatoes, tomatoes, parsley, sunflowers, moon-flowers, rosemary, basil, garden sage, garlic and green onions. I have seen so many NY license plates within the past year. Side note, I went to Syracuse for a wedding and met a farmer that was growing different kinds of berries, he had lamas for kids to pet, a breakfast dinner where he made berry pancakes/jam/jelly, he hosted weddings and he was growing a bunch of pines. Florida sucks though, the rent is going up and a lot of the buildings are really old. If your living in a house it might be fine. I've been to Colorado and loved it but the city sucks there too. I have been thinking Tennessee, South Dakota, New Mexico, Arizona, Peru, Mexico or Ecuador. I think Florida is getting too crazy, way more traffic, construction, development etc. I agree with you though if your trying to improve your health it's a little too hectic here.

Cloudhands

i think that everywhere is garbage because the culture that you detest has permeated most of everywhere. There are some places i have in mind but youd have to be filthy rich to move there, and i dont think anyone that affluent would be coming onto this forum for real estate advice. In my opinion id go wherever you have to best chance of saving money and growing financially. Work on your health independently. Florida is highly estrogenic because of the food they eat and the activities these people take part in. Just dont do that. Everywhere is messed up right now, humans have lost their humanity. Wherever you move you can have goats for milk, chicken for eggs, grow various carbohydrate sources, stock up on emergency foods, learn your land so that you can hunt and forage, and focus on increasing your income so that you can further invest in emergency precautions. Maybe look at stats online and move to where there are the least amount of vaccinated individuals so that you can look for a partner so that you arent lonely, and if youre lucky a small group of friends.

I'm.No.One

That part about living close enough to a big city you can drive to so you don't get lonely is why you're not likely cut out emotionally to live anywhere that's actually anything you're looking for.

I don't mean any offense by that it's just that as a person who's lived in tiny/remote areas my whole life I've seen a ton of people like yourself looking to "escape the city" end up not handling reality away from a city very well.

I mean...you have already without even leaving stated that you need to be close to a city so you're not lonely.

To me this looks like you've subconsciously discounted anyone local in favor of interacting with the very "type of people" you're trying to get away from in the city...

Just something to consider.

Also, anything within driving distance of a big city with even an acre of land is:

a.) Likely Millions of dollars.

b.) Already fear based purchased by someone in 2020.

What's left if you take a look at most real estate listings are they're waaaaay overpriced things & the suuuuuper remote things.

But if you do have the means to do any of this look for more temperate climates with ample water because you're in no position to "hit the ground running" somewhere that is freezing 6 months out of the year with a difficult growing season.

People who thrive in these areas (I live in NE Oregon, not an easy place) have typically grown up there or have had years to adapt to the land/climate/growing conditions.

In other words, if you're running from a collapse/starvation scenario don't pick a place that you can't even grow greens in during the winter.

Lastly, it's way harder than most people think to break away from a family unit. They're likely supporting you in ways you won't even realize until you're thousands of miles away & there's no one that can help you out because it takes real time to be accepted into a small town community.

Good luck man & make sure whatever you may end up buying is actually livable/buildable as there are A LOT of land scams in states with lower populations.

Vajra

Florida is highly estrogenic because of the food they eat
Like what? They have oranges on their license plates for crying out loud. It's a nice subtropical climate with a long growing season. Though I do agree with people that they're walking a fine line between a strange nanny state and an acceptable place to homestead in a similar vein to California.

Just try Florida, or bite the bullet with Arizona if you can (it's definitely cheaper than Florida in some avenues at least, like land and rent prices for one).

Maybe the best solution is to always be on the move -- never live in any one place "permanently" or such. It costs money, but I don't think you need to be wealthy.

If I even had twice the income or energy I have now I'd be considering land, moving, tiny homes, living in a van, anything really.

Starting a farm or farming-esque business of some sort sounds optimal, but to get to the point where that'd actually be feasible is what the really kick ... er, nightmare is.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Still looking at maps, I guess soil quality and elevation are inversely correlated. Montana and North Dakota have a mix of both, but you're getting pretty remote and lonely up there. Colorado could be good east of Denver, but the politics might be unacceptable.
Very interesting - Initially I thought it would be the opposite, but I'm ok with sacrificing better soil for lower altitude

My brother and wife have made a great life for themselves, predominantly “living off the land” in Tijeras, NM. I don’t know how great the soil is and there aren’t many trees/mountains, but it is relatively inexpensive to live there and they are surrounded by likeminded “pure bloods”. Tijeras is 30 min east of Albuquerque. Best of luck to you, wherever this next chapter takes you.
Thank you!

a lot of this depends on how much money you've got man.
True - I'm headed back to corporate software development for the time being even though I hate it so I have enough money to go most places without thinking twice.

I'm in Miami and I'm growing potatoes, tomatoes, parsley, sunflowers, moon-flowers, rosemary, basil, garden sage, garlic and green onions. I have seen so many NY license plates within the past year. Side note, I went to Syracuse for a wedding and met a farmer that was growing different kinds of berries, he had lamas for kids to pet, a breakfast dinner where he made berry pancakes/jam/jelly, he hosted weddings and he was growing a bunch of pines. Florida sucks though, the rent is going up and a lot of the buildings are really old. If your living in a house it might be fine. I've been to Colorado and loved it but the city sucks there too. I have been thinking Tennessee, South Dakota, New Mexico, Arizona, Peru, Mexico or Ecuador. I think Florida is getting too crazy, way more traffic, construction, development etc. I agree with you though if your trying to improve your health it's a little too hectic here.
Yea it's crazy - personally I've seen 10+ people I personally knew go to Florida this past year. Interestingly enough, I spent a few years living in Syracuse for college - upstate NY I actually don't think is that bad, but it does get quiet cold during the winter.

Worst-case scenario I think I prefer FL to NY 10/10 times just by the mere fact that the people in FL are a lot more like-minded to myself. I've spent quiet a bit of time in West Palm Beach and that is where I will most likely be going worst-case scenario.

i think that everywhere is garbage because the culture that you detest has permeated most of everywhere. There are some places i have in mind but youd have to be filthy rich to move there, and i dont think anyone that affluent would be coming onto this forum for real estate advice. In my opinion id go wherever you have to best chance of saving money and growing financially. Work on your health independently. Florida is highly estrogenic because of the food they eat and the activities these people take part in. Just dont do that. Everywhere is messed up right now, humans have lost their humanity. Wherever you move you can have goats for milk, chicken for eggs, grow various carbohydrate sources, stock up on emergency foods, learn your land so that you can hunt and forage, and focus on increasing your income so that you can further invest in emergency precautions. Maybe look at stats online and move to where there are the least amount of vaccinated individuals so that you can look for a partner so that you arent lonely, and if youre lucky a small group of friends.
Very true that's exactly what I had in mind - I plan on working remotely and starting with chickens and either goat/sheep only for milk purposes. I don't want to kill an animal I raised and would rather do my own hunting in the wild for meat if it came down to it

That part about living close enough to a big city you can drive to so you don't get lonely is why you're not likely cut out emotionally to live anywhere that's actually anything you're looking for.

I don't mean any offense by that it's just that as a person who's lived in tiny/remote areas my whole life I've seen a ton of people like yourself looking to "escape the city" end up not handling reality away from a city very well.

I mean...you have already without even leaving stated that you need to be close to a city so you're not lonely.

To me this looks like you've subconsciously discounted anyone local in favor of interacting with the very "type of people" you're trying to get away from in the city...

Just something to consider.

Also, anything within driving distance of a big city with even an acre of land is:

a.) Likely Millions of dollars.

b.) Already fear based purchased by someone in 2020.

What's left if you take a look at most real estate listings are they're waaaaay overpriced things & the suuuuuper remote things.

But if you do have the means to do any of this look for more temperate climates with ample water because you're in no position to "hit the ground running" somewhere that is freezing 6 months out of the year with a difficult growing season.

People who thrive in these areas (I live in NE Oregon, not an easy place) have typically grown up there or have had years to adapt to the land/climate/growing conditions.

In other words, if you're running from a collapse/starvation scenario don't pick a place that you can't even grow greens in during the winter.

Lastly, it's way harder than most people think to break away from a family unit. They're likely supporting you in ways you won't even realize until you're thousands of miles away & there's no one that can help you out because it takes real time to be accepted into a small town community.

Good luck man & make sure whatever you may end up buying is actually livable/buildable as there are A LOT of land scams in states with lower populations.
I see why you would think that, but I'm a big boy I have spent quiet a few years camping/living in the wilderness and quiet a few summers living in Central America as well on a farm so I do have a very good idea of what it would entail

I'm not worried so much about "buying land" as eventually - all property will be stripped from citizens - hence why I emphasize open space - large plots of land in the wilderness no one cares to bother.

In other words - I don't "want" to live in a wilderness type environment - I see it as I actually "have to" - I refuse to put up with this forced technocratic future (which in a large part will be forced hypometabolic states of living) and I refuse to be held hostage by food shortages.

I want to be near a city at least because I don't want to be stuck in a scenario where I have "Slim Pickings" when it comes to girls and I would have to settle for a girl that I definitely would normally not settle for. I just need to be near a place with trad girls that know what's going on/some survival skills that are on the healthier side and I know I'll be able to get one onboard with me

Very interesting - Initially I thought it would be the opposite, but I'm ok with sacrificing better soil for lower altitude

Thank you!

True - I'm headed back to corporate software development for the time being even though I hate it so I have enough money to go most places without thinking twice.

Yea it's crazy - personally I've seen 10+ people I personally knew go to Florida this past year. Interestingly enough, I spent a few years living in Syracuse for college - upstate NY I actually don't think is that bad, but it does get quiet cold during the winter.

Worst-case scenario I think I prefer FL to NY 10/10 times just by the mere fact that the people in FL are a lot more like-minded to myself. I've spent quiet a bit of time in West Palm Beach and that is where I will most likely be going worst-case scenario.

Very true that's exactly what I had in mind - I plan on working remotely and starting with chickens and either goat/sheep only for milk purposes. I don't want to kill an animal I raised and would rather do my own hunting in the wild for meat if it came down to it

I see why you would think that, but I'm a big boy I have spent quiet a few years camping/living in the wilderness and quiet a few summers living in Central America as well on a farm so I do have a very good idea of what it would entail

I'm not worried so much about "buying land" as eventually - all property will be stripped from citizens - hence why I emphasize open space - large plots of land in the wilderness no one cares to bother.

In other words - I don't "want" to live in a wilderness type environment - I see it as I actually "have to" - I refuse to put up with this forced technocratic future (which in a large part will be forced hypometabolic states of living) and I refuse to be held hostage by food shortages.

I want to be near a city at least because I don't want to be stuck in a scenario where I have "Slim Pickings" when it comes to girls and I would have to settle for a girl that I definitely would normally not settle for. I just need to be near a place with trad girls that know what's going on/some survival skills that are on the healthier side and I know I'll be able to get one onboard with me
Tennessee might be up your alley. Mountains, laid back country folk …DOLLYWOOD :joyful: Plus it has a low vaxx rate.

James Gatz is a software engineer? Well, color me surprised. Considering your profession, and assuming you have a degree, why not just leave the country?

Cloudhands

Like what? They have oranges on their license plates for crying out loud. It's a nice subtropical climate with a long growing season. Though I do agree with people that they're walking a fine line between a strange nanny state and an acceptable place to homestead in a similar vein to California.
i dont think them having oranges on their license plate equates to the citizens being healthy or eating oranges lmfao

Cloudhands

btw if anyone wants to ask me anything specific about my experience, i just moved to Jacksonville Florida from Detroit Michigan, and im unemployed, havent bought a vehicle yet, live in the ghetto with my girlfriend, pay 900 a month for a 2 story 1100 squarefoot apartment, take the bus everywhere, spend 13$ a day on food, and have found a plug for cheap and ripe produce, and affordable beef and raw goat milk. Were making it work, and plan on buying property somewhere much nicer after this 7 month lease is up.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Go with your family to FL, keep saving your money and explore some other states. If you like your family, you might want to be fairly close to them in the long run.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals