Getting High (Where To Live Above 6K Ft)

oriana

I've been getting more serious about spending some months at altitude and I would love to know where folks have done this outside of the US, in terms of all the nitty gritty.

I think Ray said benefits are apparent at 4K ft, but somewhere I think also he mentioned 6K. Questions:

1. Does anyone have a sense that going even higher would be problematic? Like is there a max benefit curve on this, and if so how high/low might it be?

2. Anyone know if there is a way to measure amounts of new mitochondria? Or how long the body keeps them after returning to sea level?

In terms of locations and logistics:

1. South America: Where to go, where is comfortable to live for a few months at a time, or perhaps longer? There are so many beautiful and interesting places, but where is interesting, livable, relatively safe, not insane to get to.

2. Does anyone know of places like vineyards, farms, artist spaces that host people? not into the ayahuasca scene, not wanting to spend mad money, not wanting to be a woofer. But having a destination, infrastructure, community seems important.

2. Europe: seems like Georgia is the option here, in the summer, and maybe some parts of the Alps.

Thanks for thoughts and experiences!

Oriana

managing

San Miguel de Allende Mexico (6600')
Pachuca Mexico (7800')

Both are safe, beautiful, and have a significant ex-patriot scene.

Lots of places in Uruguay, Ecuador, and Peru, but I don't have as much experience there.

ShotTrue

San Miguel de Allende Mexico (6600')
Pachuca Mexico (7800')

Both are safe, beautiful, and have a significant ex-patriot scene.

Lots of places in Uruguay, Ecuador, and Peru, but I don't have as much experience there.
Are there good work opporutnities there?
Just curious. I imagine in USA it's significantly more expensive living, such as Colorado

Nice thread OP, be a while til I could afford such a thing but sounds nice

managing

Are there good work opporutnities there?
Just curious. I imagine in USA it's significantly more expensive living, such as Colorado

Nice thread OP, be a while til I could afford such a thing but sounds nice
If you are an entrepreneur, yes. Or perhaps if you have a specific skill to provide, like yoga, cooking, art etc. Lots of tourists and retirees in these areas. So straight up jobs are mostly low paid service jobs.

Beefcake

I've been getting more serious about spending some months at altitude and I would love to know where folks have done this outside of the US, in terms of all the nitty gritty.

I think Ray said benefits are apparent at 4K ft, but somewhere I think also he mentioned 6K. Questions:

1. Does anyone have a sense that going even higher would be problematic? Like is there a max benefit curve on this, and if so how high/low might it be?

2. Anyone know if there is a way to measure amounts of new mitochondria? Or how long the body keeps them after returning to sea level?

In terms of locations and logistics:

1. South America: Where to go, where is comfortable to live for a few months at a time, or perhaps longer? There are so many beautiful and interesting places, but where is interesting, livable, relatively safe, not insane to get to.

2. Does anyone know of places like vineyards, farms, artist spaces that host people? not into the ayahuasca scene, not wanting to spend mad money, not wanting to be a woofer. But having a destination, infrastructure, community seems important.

2. Europe: seems like Georgia is the option here, in the summer, and maybe some parts of the Alps.

Thanks for thoughts and experiences!

Oriana

Burgos in spain but its only 3,6k ft. But it has over 100 000 inhabitants so you would have everything there. The alps is awesome if you never been there. very beutiful and feels extremly safe and also good economy and you have everything you need easily. Swizz and french alps. I personally prefer the french part. Never been in northern italy like dolomites but look insanely beutiful

Amazoniac

Last edited:

ShotTrue

If you are an entrepreneur, yes. Or perhaps if you have a specific skill to provide, like yoga, cooking, art etc. Lots of tourists and retirees in these areas. So straight up jobs are mostly low paid service jobs.
That'll be a while til it happens for me then. I'd like to make a good bit of money, might even stay in the states unless I can do business from afar