Moving To The Tropics

Hello. I thought it was good or useful to anyone to share this. If not, just ignore it. :D

After having established that my current food and fruit access has many problems, and being wrecked by european winters, I decided to move to a tropical locations, for a variety of health-related reasons.

The darkness of winter months has been particularly damaging this last year, and that, coupled with access to bad/unripe fruit has brought me to a dark place, health-wise, after feeling quite decently last summer.
Many tropical locations are also on high altitude, so that is a plus.
Places I'm considering: Mexico, Costarica, Ecuador. I disregarded SEA mostly because I'm pretty sure I won't fit well into their culture -- many travelers, mostly fruit-based travelers, reported that as well, that they felt like outsiders all the time.
Safety is one of my main concerns, but some areas of Mexico, and Costarica, seem to be OK. I know Mexico is renowned for its crime levels, but they're not at all the same in every area. I've done my homeworks.
Cost of living in Mexico is pretty low; much lower than Europe, and lower than the U.S. In Costarica it is quite high, comparable to the U.S.
Culturally, I feel more drawn to Mexico and Ecuador. Costarica seems a bit posh, a tourist machine.

Even spending the winters only would be as helpful: days get shorter at high latitudes, such as Europe and most of the U.S., so spending the winter in the tropics might be protective.

I will add more details if you have any question about this experience, I've researched a lot of things, so if you have a similar idea feel free to interact or even PM me if you want.

OP
John Frusciante
Yes, South East Asia. Taiwan is a lovely island. Thailand (and northern Australia) are probably the best in terms of fruit access and variety, but I've stated before what's the issue with the first two, and Australia is too expensive for me.

XPlus

Out of SEA, ME, NA, UK, EUR, RU, NZ and AUS the place that made most sense to me was the Philippines.
Not only filipinos are the friendliest of all nations, they're quite tolerant of other cultures and alternative lifestyles, skillful, speak good English and are trustworthy in general.
Tropical fruits like papaya and mangoes are available most if not all the time, it's doesn't get cold in most parts and once you're there, you're not cut off from the rest of the world.
Living costs range from very little to affordable on average depending on the region and your personal preferences.
Only complaint for me was the milk. It's ridiculously expensive and tastes off at times.
For me, there remains one unanswered question: how would I fund myself there.

Last edited:
OP
John Frusciante
Where in Mexico where you thinking?

The altitude and culture of central Mexico are very appealing to me. Jalisco, Aguascalientes, Chiapas, Queretaro, Puebla are places I'm considering; will probably try out 2-3 locations there, before thinking of moving permanently.

Out of SEA, ME, NA, UK, EUR, RU, NZ and AUS the place that made most sense to me was the Philippines.
Not only filipinos are the friendliest of all nations, they're quite tolerant of other cultures and alternative lifestyles, skillful, speak good English and are trustworthy in general.
Tropical fruits like papaya and mangoes are available most if not all the time, it's doesn't get cold in most parts and once you're there, you're not cut off from the rest of the world.
Living costs range from very little to affordable on average depending on the region and your personal preferences.
Only complaint for me was the milk. It's ridiculously expensive and tastes off at times.
For me, there remains one unanswered question: how would I fund myself there.

For this first trip I gotta choose one side, latinamerica or SEA, and I chose the first one for a variety of reasons. Philippines seem a bit overpopulated, but there are some safe spots, as far as I know. I value the high altitude I can find in Latin America to a very high degree.

XPlus

For this first trip I gotta choose one side, latinamerica or SEA, and I chose the first one for a variety of reasons. Philippines seem a bit overpopulated, but there are some safe spots, as far as I know. I value the high altitude I can find in Latin America to a very high degree.

It is indeed a large country with a lot of people.

I researched few high altitude places in the Phillipines that I'll try to visit next time.
Please update us on your trip wherever you go. I might get a little more excited to visit latin amercia.

B

Braveheart

I’m in Belize...English speaking, sunny, warm, friendly, only grass fed meat and dairy, pastured eggs, ripe fruit galore, clean air and water...2 BZ dollars for 1 US$...a few hours by plane from US. My measly Social Insecurity check puts me in upper middle class BZ. Not for everyone though... bit lawless...like the old wild west. Have yet to find a bookstore...good if you are an old "Indiana Jones" type like me...beautiful, friendly, inexpensive and perfect for an old Peatnick like me.

there's that funny guy again....thank you!

You're most welcome!

pyrenees.gif

skycop00

Got some nice choices there. I am in SW Florida where the soil is awful, but lots of SUN. I would love to find a low crime area at higher altitude with lots of sun. The girlfriend...well...she would need some convincing!!!

B

Braveheart

I still don't know how to use this forum....got "old timers" disease...

Lecarpetron

I just left South Florida. I refrained from eating a single mango, papaya, starfruit, or banana out of my backyard for 5 years because I thought sugar was bad. Doh! I learned about Peat theories and got 1 solid mango season in before I departed.

For some reason, the sun and heat did not warm my body temps/rev my thyroid at all.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals