Are Homes In Your Country Required To Be Built With Proper Ventilation?

yerrag

I live in Manila. Our home was built in the 1980s. When I came back to Manila 10 years ago, I found the home to be very hot. It wasn't well ventilated and insulated. We don't have winter cold here, so the problem is mainly about improving ventilation and insulation to keep heat out, and from building up. Our home is typical of homes made here, although we have used better materials as the house was built for the owner to live in, and he was generous with the use of materials.

What's very typical of Philippine houses is that the industry has made it standard to build homes with no regard to proper ventilation, which would not be up to code in the United States, and maybe pretty much the rest of developed countries in the world. Not that the Philippines is considered developed, but I digress.

At the minimum, the roof design has to have soffit vents to draw in cool air, and ridge vents for the warmest, or hottest, air to go out. Over the years, homes are being built that have less and less area for the soffit vent to let in cool air, while it has remained standard for homes to be built with no ridge vent at all. I suppose it really makes sense to have little or no inlet for cool air to come in to the roof (thru soffit vents) if ridge vents (to let warm air out) is nonexistent.

It makes no sense at all that our homes have zero ventilation in the roofs, considering that this is a tropical country. It makes even less sense that we have use electric airconditioners to cool our homes, and considering that electricity is not cheap, we are wasting power and spending more because of faulty design of all of our homes' roofs. It is beyond stupidity that we also have to rely largely on imported energy sources for our energy, and yet we still don't do anything to conserve power by better home designs.

I do not know what our country's regulatory agency regarding home construction is really doing all these years. We have plenty of universities that teach architecture and civil engineering, and yet we can't build a house that's properly ventilated. What is true is that more and more shitty houses are being built, and the general population know nothing about what is well-built and what's not. Therefore, no one's pushing to let builders know they have to build better homes. Not only do home buyers and owners have to pay more monthly to cool their unventilated homes, they have to constantly be fixing their homes as well.

Since there are people from many countries around the world in this forum, please make me feel better than it's not just our country that have shitty homes. Please tell me we are not alone in the Philippines to suffer from shitty home designs and construction.

I would like homes to be built like cars are built these days. They last long as long as properly well-maintained, and car manufacturers are expected by buyers to make reliable cars.

Roof-ventilation-21.png

What is it like with my neighboring countries? Vietnam? Thailand? Malaysia? Indonesia? What's it like in Mexico? In Southern India? In Saudi Arabia? In Israel? In Spain? In Portugal? In Greece? In Taiwan? In Southern China? Costa Rica? Honduras? Dominican Republic? Cuba? Belize?

Last edited:

SonOfEurope

Spain is not a tropical country. It is between latitude 36 and 43 north

Save the far south and coasts, every under part of Spain gets snow in winter - the highest (altitude) country of the continent after Switzerland.... the northern coast and Galicia are similar to England.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Spain is not a tropical country. It is between latitude 36 and 43 north

Save the far south and coasts, every under part of Spain gets snow in winter - the highest (altitude) country of the continent after Switzerland.... the northern coast and Galicia are similar to England.
Thanks for the correction.

I still wonder though how your building standards are with regard to ventilation.

You still have some hot weather though, don't you?

SonOfEurope

Thanks for the correction.

I still wonder though how your building standards are with regard to ventilation.

You still have some hot weather though, don't you?

You're welcome.

Yes the south is very hot in summer, with daily highs close to 40°c from mid June to September, especially in the low altitude regions but this is made more withstandable by the low humidity, Center and North of the country goes from 33°c to 28°c during that time but humidity is higher towards the North.

More than half of Spain is above 600 m.a.s.l or 1,800 feet so it's a more continentalized climaye pattern than Italy or Greece. More difference between summer and winter and between highs and lows.

The good things about it are the sunshine and altitude, honestly it's one of the best parts of Europe to live around the Sierra Nevada or Sierra de Guadarrama that surround the central plateau because the winters are not quite as cold as the alps and you have more sunshine, enoigh snow to enjoy being at 3,000 -4,000 ft.... the Pyrenees might be too cold and snowy.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

You're welcome.

Yes the south is very hot in summer, with daily highs close to 40°c from mid June to September, especially in the low altitude regions but this is made more withstandable by the low humidity, Center and North of the country goes from 33°c to 28°c during that time but humidity is higher towards the North.

More than half of Spain is above 600 m.a.s.l or 1,800 feet so it's a more continentalized climaye pattern than Italy or Greece. More difference between summer and winter and between highs and lows.

The good things about it are the sunshine and altitude, honestly it's one of the best parts of Europe to live around the Sierra Nevada or Sierra de Guadarrama that surround the central plateau because the winters are not quite as cold as the alps and you have more sunshine, enoigh snow to enjoy being at 3,000 -4,000 ft.... the Pyrenees might be too cold and snowy.
Summers with moderate humidity are great. The more south the more Mediterranean the climate becomes I suppose.

SonOfEurope

You're welcome.

Yes the south is very hoy in summer, with daily highs close to 40°c from mid June to September, especially in the low altitude regions but this is made more withstandable by the low humidity, Center and North of the country goes from 33°c to 28°c during that time but humidity is higher towards the North.

Half of Spain is above 600 m.a.s.l or 1,800 feet so it's a more continentalized climaye pattern than Italy or Greece. More difference between summer and winter and between highs and lows.

The good things about it are the sunshine and altitude, honestly it's one of the best parts of Europe to live around the Sierra Nevada or Sierra de Guadarrama that surround the central plateau because the winters are not as cold as the alps and you have more sunshine, being at 3,000 ft.... the Pyrenees might be too cold and snowy.
Summers with moderate humidity are great. The more south the more Mediterranean the climate becomes I suppose.

I agree...

But in Andalucía my friend even at 15% humidity you still struggle with 40 degrees in August... unless you have a cabin in the sierra right.

In my opinion perhaps the best parts of Spain are the the northern coastline, extremely green and lush (no joke... over 1,000 mm of rain in Galicia and Asturias) yet still more sunny in Summer and fall than England and French Brittany, plus you've got mountains right on your horizon.

I personally would live in the low pyrenees, extremely clean air at 3-4 thousand feet and despite the heavy snow lots of sun from May to September... days are not as short as northern europe in winter.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals