Mangosteen Aromatase Inhibitor And Serotonin Antagonist

offspring

Hi
Has anyone heard any definitive answers about mangosteen.I stumble on it recently on my never ending search for anti oestrogen foods. I have read clinical studies which say it is a potent aromatase inhibitor and also that it is a serotonin antagonist. All the marketing hype says it has a high tryptophan content but I can't find any clinical research to validate this. My own experience is that it has a very strong antidepressant, action noticeable within an hour. Since reading Ray Peat and my new held belief that serotonin excess is a bad thing, I have been avoiding precursors as much as possible. I find I have a reaction that I used to get from ssri's and also 5HTP, in that the mangosteen causes my muscles to tense and contract in an uncomfortable way. So I'm wondering if anyone can verify the high tryptophan content of this food as that would make sense as to the reaction I'm having. Otherwise it sounds like an amazing supplement to address the above concerns and it also stabilises blood sugar very well and fast, I've tested that. and it has a host of other clinical studies predominately related to cancer benefits. I also can't find any Peat references to the xanthones, which is the active ingredient found in the fruit rind.
Also can some one clarify some basics around serotonin agonists and antagonists for me, forgive my ignorance.
1/ If a serotonin antagonist is blocking the uptake of serotonin wouldn't that increase plasma levels, in a similar way to ssri's inhibiting reuptake ?
2/ Is it possible for something to be a serotonin antagonist and also have a high tryptophan content at the same time?
Thanks

haidut

Forum Supporter
offspring said:
Hi
Has anyone heard any definitive answers about mangosteen.I stumble on it recently on my never ending search for anti oestrogen foods. I have read clinical studies which say it is a potent aromatase inhibitor and also that it is a serotonin antagonist. All the marketing hype says it has a high tryptophan content but I can't find any clinical research to validate this. My own experience is that it has a very strong antidepressant, action noticeable within an hour. Since reading Ray Peat and my new held belief that serotonin excess is a bad thing, I have been avoiding precursors as much as possible. I find I have a reaction that I used to get from ssri's and also 5HTP, in that the mangosteen causes my muscles to tense and contract in an uncomfortable way. So I'm wondering if anyone can verify the high tryptophan content of this food as that would make sense as to the reaction I'm having. Otherwise it sounds like an amazing supplement to address the above concerns and it also stabilises blood sugar very well and fast, I've tested that. and it has a host of other clinical studies predominately related to cancer benefits. I also can't find any Peat references to the xanthones, which is the active ingredient found in the fruit rind.
Also can some one clarify some basics around serotonin agonists and antagonists for me, forgive my ignorance.
1/ If a serotonin antagonist is blocking the uptake of serotonin wouldn't that increase plasma levels, in a similar way to ssri's inhibiting reuptake ?
2/ Is it possible for something to be a serotonin antagonist and also have a high tryptophan content at the same time?
Thanks

I have used mangosteen juice and capsules in the past for the same reason - lowering estrogen. The capsules worked great. The juice did not do much. I don't use it anymore as I prefer fixing the metabolism and thus the steroid production, rather than take an aromatase inhibitor. I don't know much about its tryptophan content but it did not matter to me since I was not eating the fruit, and capsules probably have very little tryptophan left form the original fruit.

Mr. Sick

miki14

The aromatase inhibiting action comes from chemicals in the mangosteen peel. The taste is extremely astringent. As a short term intervention it might be useful.

dookie

BUMP

Anyone who has experience with mangosteen being anti-estrogenic? On some sites it is compared to letrozole in anti-estrogenic activity!

Makrosky

I have used mangosteen juice and capsules in the past for the same reason - lowering estrogen. The capsules worked great. The juice did not do much. I don't use it anymore as I prefer fixing the metabolism and thus the steroid production, rather than take an aromatase inhibitor. I don't know much about its tryptophan content but it did not matter to me since I was not eating the fruit, and capsules probably have very little tryptophan left form the original fruit.
Do you think it is still safe to reduce estrone levels?

Gl;itch.e

Mangosteen = Delicious! not sure all the rest matters too much! :):

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think it is still safe to reduce estrone levels?

It is probably OK, but if you look at its structure you will see it is very similar to vitamin E, and vitamin E has also been shown to lower estrone (Google it). The vitamin E is probably safer, depending on the dose, and also more bioavailable.

Makrosky

It is probably OK, but if you look at its structure you will see it is very similar to vitamin E, and vitamin E has also been shown to lower estrone (Google it). The vitamin E is probably safer, depending on the dose, and also more bioavailable.
Ok thanks. I have been taking Estroban almost daily for many months and my estrone level is through the roof so I don't know if in my case is being helpful. Really strange all together.

dookie

In what context are you writing this? Does mangosteen reduce estrone? I never heard Peat mention that the structure of estrone is similar to Vitamin E - he said all estrogens are harmful.

dookie

He said mangosteen is similar to vitamin E but the latter is safer.

Why would Vitamin E be safer than a ... fruit? Some studies link vitamin E usage to higher risk of overall death. Mangosteen just seems more "natural", no?

Also, what exactly has a similar structure to Vitamin E? Is it the Xanthone compound, Mangostin, etc?

@haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Why would Vitamin E be safer than a ... fruit? Some studies link vitamin E usage to higher risk of overall death. Mangosteen just seems more "natural", no?

Also, what exactly has a similar structure to Vitamin E? Is it the Xanthone compound, Mangostin, etc?

@haidut

If you eat mangosteen then it is probably as safe as vitamin E. But isolated xanthones used as aromatase inhibitors have not been tested much and there is some evidence that they may be mutagenic on their own.

ddjd

I've used mangosteen to reduce Serotonin and it definitely works. I just bought the extract powder from eBay. Not sure if it affects Estrogen

ddjd

@Joeyd

What anti-serotonin effects did you notice from the mangosteen extract?
yeah @Joeyd also interested on hear from your antiserotonin effects from the mangosteen powder. Anything comparable to cyproheptadine or metergoline or the like ?

Hey guys for me personally my hair sheds when Serotonin is high and my stools are very loose. These are my indicators. Mangosteen stopped these issues for about 2 hours. Whereas cypro works for about 12-18 hours! So nowhere near as strong but it also won't make you tired!

Makrosky

Hey guys for me personally my hair sheds when Serotonin is high and my stools are very loose. These are my indicators. Mangosteen stopped these issues for about 2 hours. Whereas cypro works for about 12-18 hours! So nowhere near as strong but it also won't make you tired!
Interesting...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals