A Selective Serotonin Antagonist Is A Potent Antidepressant

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, May 28, 2019.

1. haidut

haidut Member

Fraud, fraud and nothing but fraud! After more then half a century of claiming that serotonin cures depression, now mainstream medicine is quietly trying to retreat from this fiasco by introducing more and more potent (and selective) serotonin antagonists as treatment of depression and silently phasing the SSRI drugs out. The study below is one of the most direct and damning pieces of evidence against the "serotonin deficiency hypothesis" as a cause of depression. A highly selective serotonin antagonist (primavanserin) was found to have potent anti-depressant effects in a human trial.
    Pimavanserin - Wikipedia

This drug has no other effects except blocking the 5-HT2A (and to a smaller degree 5-HT2C) receptor. So, if this drug is a potent antidepressant then serotonin is a cause of depression, pure and simple. In addition, the drug's pharmacological profile also reveals another fraud - i.e. that schizophrenia is caused by too much dopamine. The drug is also used to treat schizophrenia, but unlike other drugs for the condition primavanserin has NO antagonism on dopamine receptors. In other words, it treats schizophrenia by blocking ONLY serotonin. I posted about this fraud in regard to schizophrenia several years ago when I pointed out that the main drug for treating schizoprenia (haloperidol) is actually a serotonin antagonist in addition to being dopamine antagonist.
    Haloperidol - Wikipedia
    For years, this information was concealed and only last month I noticed that the Wikipedia page for haloperidol has been updated to state that the drug is a serotonin antagonist as well. So, in case it is not clear yet let me say it loud and clear - serotonin causes BOTH depression and schizophrenia, and blocking serotonin may treat both conditions.

A Phase 2, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Adjunctive Pimavanserin in Major Depressive Disorder - ICH GCP - Clinical Trials Registry
    Add-on pimavanserin appears safe, effective in patients with major depression

"...Compared with placebo, pimavanserin reduced weighted HAMD-17 total scores in both stages (least-square means difference = –1.7; P = .04). Patients who received pimavanserin in the first stage separated from the placebo group on the HAMD-17 by the end of the first week (difference = –1.7; P = .04) and had significantly improved on the HAMD-17 by week 5 (difference = –4; P < .001)."

This study indicates that pimavanserin, a molecule with a relatively unique pharmacological activity as a selective inverse agonist of the serotonin 5-HT2A receptor, may show antidepressant activity and could be a novel adjunctive treatment for patients who do not adequately respond to standard antidepressant therapy with either an SSRI or SNRI,” Maurizio Fava, MD, director of the division of clinical research of Massachusetts General Hospital Research Institute and executive vice chair of the hospital’s department of psychiatry, told Healio."

2. Dobbler

Dobbler Member

amazin
    haidut for president

3. Jeff Masters

Jeff Masters Member

Great stuff Haidut, Apart from cyproheptadine what other products/foods/supplements may help to reduce serotonin?

4. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
    Hip Hip Hooray... Nice finding yet again. Now, who's going to be the first on this forum to report back their experience...Or it's probably impossible to access.

5. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
    Shilajit is an obvious anti serotonin herb. However, you have to be VERY careful, since most Shilajit products are loaded with heavy metals!

6. Soren

Soren Member

On the daily mail uk today there are multiple stories warning about the dangers of anti-depressants I guess the pharmaceutical industry finally feels they have positioned themselves with new alternatives and they now are slowly letting slip the truth into the market. They are only 30 or 40 years late and god knows how many lives ruined.

Anti-depressants CAN ruin lives: Major U-turn as psychiatrists say millions of patients MUST be warned over severe side effects

DR MAX PEMBERTON: Never again must victims of the over-prescribing of anti-depressants be silenced or ignored

7. ilhanxx

ilhanxx Member

I used cabergolin (dopamin agonist) , anything changed sexual or depression, only give me strong erection.

8. Experienced

Experienced Member

which one did you use? I`m planning on this one. Oriveda Medicinal Mushrooms is the COA Legit? if so I`m probably going to try to boost my T levels and down serotonin.

9. daIllu

daIllu Member

These studies used SSRIs along with this serotonin antagonist, which is a strange combo if the SSRIs are supposed to raise the levels of serotonin.