Quinine Is A Serotonin Antagonist And Inhibits Serotonin Synthesis

YourUniverse

I actually just asked Ray about using Quinine HCL (as I just got very pure powder to attempt homemade tonic).

His reply:

"I think it should be used in extremely small amounts, as a digestive stimulant." - RP

I followed up about what 'extremely small amounts' might mean (and referenced the standard amount used in tonic water is up to approx 80mg per litre) and he replied:

"I think tonic water should be used only in small amounts, about an ounce at a time, unless it’s for treating a viral infection." - RP

That means something like 2-2.5mg of Quinine HCL, which is a very small amount. I've asked him what he thinks the dangers of going to higher doses are - will report back here if/when he replies.
Wow, did not expect that

Kman

I actually just asked Ray about using Quinine HCL (as I just got very pure powder to attempt homemade tonic).

His reply:

"I think it should be used in extremely small amounts, as a digestive stimulant." - RP

I followed up about what 'extremely small amounts' might mean (and referenced the standard amount used in tonic water is up to approx 80mg per litre) and he replied:

"I think tonic water should be used only in small amounts, about an ounce at a time, unless it’s for treating a viral infection." - RP

That means something like 2-2.5mg of Quinine HCL, which is a very small amount. I've asked him what he thinks the dangers of going to higher doses are - will report back here if/when he replies.
A follow up reply from Ray:

I asked him what the dangers are of going beyond the very small amounts he mentioned. His answer:

"People vary in their sensitivity, Rhabdomyolysis and other bleeding disorders are risks." - RP

Mitchell777

A follow up reply from Ray:

I asked him what the dangers are of going beyond the very small amounts he mentioned. His answer:

"People vary in their sensitivity, Rhabdomyolysis and other bleeding disorders are risks." - RP
@haidut

Do you have any sort of idea to why Ray is concerned with Rhabdomyolysis from quinine consumption?

Plus I have read you feel best on 100-200mg daily I think? Maybe I misread. I know this is your personal observation, although I didn’t think 100-200mg daily is a large dose but upon reading Rays concern with dosing any more than a couple mg per day, it’s made me want to know why? I wonder if he’s explored research we haven’t seen?

Ray seems to suggest such a small quantity as being safe such a 2.5 mg or so? This seems to be at odds with what the studies suggest. I thought quinine would be safe in doses at least at 100mg daily?

What are your thoughts Georgi?

Thank you!

Jam

Seems like excessive alarmism on Ray's part.

Although quinine use is very common, hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) following exposure to quinine is only a recently reported phenomenon, with the first description published in 1991. Previous reports have concentrated on the nature of the hematological process and in particular characterization of the quinine-induced antibodies involved. We present a case of HUS with a clear temporal and immunological relationship to quinine which demonstrates the pathognomonic renal features of HUS. An indirect antiglobulin test with the patient's serum agglutinated red blood cells only in the presence of quinine. Renal biopsy features included glomerular and arteriolar endothelial swelling, capillary loop thrombi, mesangiolysis, segmental sclerosis and segmental ischemia. Early empiric treatment with plasma exchange and corticosteroids was instituted and this resulted in recovery of renal function to normal.

Seems to be an extremely rare occurance. If you've survived drinking a bottle of tonic water before, I wouldn't worry.

Mitchell777

Seems like excessive alarmism on Ray's part.

Seems to be an extremely rare occurance. If you've survived drinking a bottle of tonic water before, I wouldn't worry.
The great thing about Ray is the fact that despite him probably knowing Quinine is relatively safe, he will still issue caution due to the fact there is a possibility that someone could react badly.

As you said though, if you haven’t had any adverse effects consuming tonic water, you will probably be fine.

Thanks for the reply.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals