Quinine Is A Serotonin Antagonist And Inhibits Serotonin Synthesis

Sefton10

it causes deafness!
“Quinine intoxication causes a well-described syndrome that includes tinnitus, sensorineural hearing loss and vertigo.” ?

dabdabdab

I have been taking tonic water everyday for the last couple weeks, about 17oz or so. I have noticed weight loss despite adding in more fat in my diet, along with really great sleep. I am totally hooked on it, and it seems pretty safe.
any side effects after these years?

Tarmander

any side effects after these years?
I took it for maybe 6 months to a year, can't remember for how long exactly. At a certain point, all the sugar from the tonic water got pretty annoying, and the quinine part stopped working as effectively. I moved onto other health modalities

dabdabdab

I took it for maybe 6 months to a year, can't remember for how long exactly. At a certain point, all the sugar from the tonic water got pretty annoying, and the quinine part stopped working as effectively. I moved onto other health modalities
thanks for sharing your experience

Karmeleon

Does anyone know if its safe to combine with macrolide antibiotics / erythromycin, Clarithromycin? Apparently the combination of hydroxychloroquine (daughter chemical derived of quinine) is used in combination with azithromycin clinically against Malaria and or protozoal infections...

golder

I've just found some 300mg quinine sulphate tablets. That seems quite strong given the potential problems issue mentioned above. Is there a consensus with a good safe starting dose? Thanks!

Ogilvie

In the recent Danny and @haidut conversation with Ray from Nov 26, 2021, Ray brings up Quinine in the context of how the drug companies started creating the paradigm of one chemical, one disease solutions. At 1 hour and 21 minutes into the talk is where he mentions Quinine, but if you start at 1 hour 17 minutes you get the context. He says a particular individual claimed that the only effective substance he had found for treating many ailments was Quinine. Having read this thread before I kept waiting for Haidut to jump in and mention the serotonin antagonistic properties.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-l-LGUi9aQ&t

Mauritio

Frankdee20

There’s a brand sold at Whole Foods called Fever Tree Indian Tonic, and a version with less sugar can be found.

Mauritio

It increases dopamine.

"...quinine (10 microM, 100 microM, 1 mM), produced dose-dependent increases in extracellular concentrations of dopamine. Quinine (100 microM, 1 mM) significantly blocked a 7-OH-DPAT-induced decrease in the striatal dopamine levels in the dose-dependent manner. "

Mauritio

Although this study shows quinine inhibits reuptake of monoamines ,strongly favoring serotonin. Weird...

This study also shows a -anti dopaminergic effect.

"In Model A, quinine (a CYP2D inhibitor) given intraperitoneally caused a significant decrease in dopamine level in the striatum and nucleus accumbens and tended to fall in the substantia nigra and frontal cortex."

As a CYP2D inhibtor it should also inhibit serotonin synthesis in the brain.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Although this study shows quinine inhibits reuptake of monoamines ,strongly favoring serotonin. Weird...

This study also shows a -anti dopaminergic effect.

"In Model A, quinine (a CYP2D inhibitor) given intraperitoneally caused a significant decrease in dopamine level in the striatum and nucleus accumbens and tended to fall in the substantia nigra and frontal cortex."

As a CYP2D inhibtor it should also inhibit serotonin synthesis in the brain.

The in-vivo studies show it potentiates the stereotypical behavior of dopaminergic drugs. Also, the fact that it is used as an anti-fever drug and it treats malaria pretty much proves its main effects are anti-serotonin. Serotonin and endotoxin are commonly used in animal studies to cause fever, and quinine blocks the fever effects of both.

Mauritio

The in-vivo studies show it potentiates the stereotypical behavior of dopaminergic drugs. Also, the fact that it is used as an anti-fever drug and it treats malaria pretty much proves its main effects are anti-serotonin. Serotonin and endotoxin are commonly used in animal studies to cause fever, and quinine blocks the fever effects of both.
Yeah I dont doubt that it's anti-serotonergic.
But I'm not sure if it's as strong of a direct pro- dopamin substance.
I tried it today for the first time and it definitely feels anti-serotonergic, but not really dopaminergic , similarly to 10MH.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yeah I dont doubt that it's anti-serotonergic.
But I'm not sure if it's as strong of a direct pro- dopamin substance.
I tried it today for the first time and it definitely feels anti-serotonergic, but not really dopaminergic , similarly to 10MH.

The thread title is about its antiserotonin properties. Where did you see claims that it is a direct pro-dopamine substance? The studies on its dopaminergic properties show subtle effects that also depend on dose. But I have not seen any claims here on the forum that quinine would have strong/direct effects on dopamine.

Mauritio

The thread title is about its antiserotonin properties. Where did you see claims that it is a direct pro-dopamine substance? The studies on its dopaminergic properties show subtle effects that also depend on dose. But I have not seen any claims here on the forum that quinine would have strong/direct effects on dopamine.
I never said you claimed it has a direct pro-dopamine effect. It was just something I've been trying to figure out for myself. Just a few posts before this ,I posted a study on its dopaminergic effects and many people say it helps with RLS ,because of its pro-dopamine effects... so there is a good base to speculate on whether or not is has a direct pro-dopamin effect.