makin' jerky

Dean

I just ordered some gf eye of round beef cut for jerky and am wondering how to prepare it. I know Peat is not a fan of spices. I was thinking maybe marinating it a bit in apple cider vinegar and then salting it before drying it in the oven? Or maybe marinating those thin strips in vinegar would "cook" the meat like acid "cooks" seafood for ceviche? Any suggestions?

OP
D

Dean

I think, in the US at least, there aren't any options other than aged meat--unless you kill your own.

michael94

Dean said:
post 106520 I think, in the US at least, there aren't any options other than aged meat--unless you kill your own.

You mean raw meat from grocery store or packaged jerky? Sounds like he wants to make his own in the oven. Does ray say anything about marinating?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Dean

I mean that pretty much all beef available commercially in the US has been aged to add "flavor". This seems to be the case even with grass fed meat bought from online retailers and at farmers markets.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Due to being mostly muscle meat, you would need heaps of gelatin with it and those individuals that are in a catabolic state, it will trigger more stress. I have seen some pretty scary outcomes in young blokes combining jerky and weightlifting. Perhaps, the numbers are not huge, but it is revealing from a Peat perspective and enough for me at least to be concerned. Peat's approach is always to seek out better options when it comes to food. He is right, dairy by far is the better and preferred option. All I'm saying is don't go overboard with meat jerky. I do have my own sheep, chickens and do kill my own but I don't overeat muscle meat, I eat it sparingly with plenty of gelatin and offal. I don't fry or BBQ. I know that not everyone is able to do this but if we care about our health, it is something to aspire to. If this is not an option, seek out farmers that will grow according to your standards. If you do find a farmer, offer to do some farm work, fixing fences. There is always lots of work to done. They can teach you how to slaughter and there's lots of work here too where you can help out. I would have no problems in giving someone freshly killed lambs, chickens, eggs or milk in exchange for work. People turn up and except that you offer them your produce without thinking how hard you have to work and the cost of producing. This way you can secure, milk, meat and eggs if you are not in a position to own a bit of land. A small piece of land/backyard in the right area could support some lamb, chickens or goats. It has taken me a long to get to a position where I control the quality and standard of my food. It is not easy, it takes hard work and if you are stuck in a "learned helplessness" state, it will be impossible. When you take control of your food you take back the control of your health.

michael94

Dean said:
post 106526 I mean that pretty much all beef available commercially in the US has been aged to add "flavor". This seems to be the case even with grass fed meat bought from online retailers and at farmers markets.

That's unfortunate, didn't know about that.

tara

paper_clips43

For what it is worth I attached the directions to build the Jerky maker I have been using for the past two years. I also use it to dehydrate fruits. I think it cost me a total of like 20 dollars to make it.

I

Attachments

• JerkyDrierInstructions.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 69
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals