Low Vitamin D Level After Supplementing

DaveFoster

I take 10,000 IU HealthyOrigins vitamin D3 topically on my arm. I bite open the capsule and rub it in. This is what Dr. Peat recommends as a daily dose. It was the 25-OH(D) test.

I recently got a vitamin D lab tests, and my level is low. Apparently 10,000 IU is insufficient. Does anyone know the shelf-life of vitamin D?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I take 10,000 IU HealthyOrigins vitamin D3 topically on my arm. I bite open the capsule and rub it in. This is what Dr. Peat recommends as a daily dose. It was the 25-OH(D) test.

I recently got a vitamin D lab tests, and my level is low. Apparently 10,000 IU is insufficient. Does anyone know the shelf-life of vitamin D?

Studies show that effects of vitamin D depend on thyroid function, and the other way around. Whether vitamin D will raise blood levels also depends on thyroid function unless you are taking very massive doses but then other bad things can happen. So, it seems to be a U-curve effect of dose on raising blood levels. Smaller doses several times a day seem to work better than a single large doses. Taking 1,000 IU is probably too low, but studies show that doses in the range 2,000 IU - 3,000 IU mayeb twice a day work a lot better for raising vitamin D levels than a single dose of 5,000 IU or even 10,000 IU. So, I would try 2,000 IU doses 2-3 times daily while also working on thyroid and retest in a month.

Last edited:
OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Studies show that effects of vitamin D depend on thyroid function. Also, smaller doses several times a day seem to work better than a single large doses. Taking 1,000 IU is probably too low, but studies show that doses in the range 2,000 IU - 3,000 IU mayeb twice a day work a lot better for raising vitamin D levels than a single dose of 5,000 IU or even 10,000 IU. So, I would try 2,000 IU doses 2-3 times daily while also working on thyroid and retest in a month.
Thanks for the info, haidut. I'm going to do 30,000 IU topical, which would translate to 6,000 IU oral or so, but with slower absorption.

I'll update this thread with the results after the second test.

zooma

I take 10,000 IU HealthyOrigins vitamin D3 topically on my arm. I bite open the capsule and rub it in. This is what Dr. Peat recommends as a daily dose.
Where did he say this? I remember in a KMUD he said that 10,000IU would be the upper limit for a safe daily dose, but not that that would be a recommended daily dose.

I think RP said that the topical absorption of the fat soluble vitamins in oil is, at best, 20% (though maybe haidut can confirm). In this case, 2,000IU may not be enough to raise a low level. You could try a higher topical dose, or take it orally.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Where did he say this? I remember in a KMUD he said that 10,000IU would be the upper limit for a safe daily dose, but not that that would be a recommended daily dose.

I think RP said that the topical absorption of the fat soluble vitamins in oil is, at best, 20% (though maybe haidut can confirm). In this case, 2,000IU may not be enough to raise a low level. You could try a higher topical dose, or take it orally.
He said 2,000 IU is sufficient. 10,000 IU topical x 20% absorption = 2000 IU absorbed.

zooma

Okay, I get you now. Yeah I think the 2,000IU is sufficient to maintain, but to raise low levels you probably need more. Agreed with the 30,000IU topical.

REOSIRENS

Taurine helps body retain vitamin d
And I believe progesterone as well... Dhea VitaminD is being used to restore vitamin D levels in males with low testosterone

haidut

Forum Supporter
Taurine helps body retain vitamin d
And I believe progesterone as well... Dhea VitaminD is being used to restore vitamin D levels in males with low testosterone

It may be a bit of chicken and egg problem. I posted a study on the forum showing taurine supplementation became unnecessary after vitamin D levels were elevated above 40. So, the body somehow replenished itself of taurine once vitamin D levels were brought into the good range. But yes, taurine helps absorption of all fat-soluble vitamins.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...ces-bioavailability-of-vitamins-k-a-d-e.7271/

CoconutEffect

Are people generally having trouble raising their vit. D levels?
As much as I don't like the guy anymore, Mercola's sublingual vit. D has reliably brought up my levels very quickly, verified by bloodwork.
Thoughts?

Beastmode

Are people generally having trouble raising their vit. D levels?
As much as I don't like the guy anymore, Mercola's sublingual vit. D has reliably brought up my levels very quickly, verified by bloodwork.
Thoughts?
What were your levels pre and post blood work? How much did you take? What time period between the tests?

dbh25

My doctor recommended taking a 50000 IU dose, once a week.
My Vit. D level is already at 75.

tomisonbottom

Thanks for the info, haidut. I'm going to do 30,000 IU topical, which would translate to 6,000 IU oral or so, but with slower absorption.

I'll update this thread with the results after the second test.

Hey Dave, how did it go?

I just got tested an I'm low too. Around 32. Trying to figure out the best way to raise, and wondering if my thyroid is getting in the way.

tomisonbottom

Studies show that effects of vitamin D depend on thyroid function, and the other way around. Whether vitamin D will raise blood levels also depends on thyroid function unless you are taking very massive doses but then other bad things can happen. So, it seems to be a U-curve effect of dose on raising blood levels. Smaller doses several times a day seem to work better than a single large doses. Taking 1,000 IU is probably too low, but studies show that doses in the range 2,000 IU - 3,000 IU mayeb twice a day work a lot better for raising vitamin D levels than a single dose of 5,000 IU or even 10,000 IU. So, I would try 2,000 IU doses 2-3 times daily while also working on thyroid and retest in a month.

So, if thyroid function isn't good, is there no point in supplementing D?

I am slightly hypo, but also know my vitamin D is low. Do you know what level of thyroid function is required to benefit from D?

tomisonbottom

Have you seen this?

I think Peat would advise to correct a vitamin d deficiency if you know you have one.

Yes, I have, and thank you, that's a good clip.

I am supplementing D now, because it only makes sense, but I was just looking for clarity on Haidut's comment.

It sounded like he was saying your blood levels of D might not go up if thyroid isn't at a certain level. Not sure what that level would be.

I take t3 and have been taking it for a while, and I might always be hypo, so if I waited for my thyroid to be perfect, I'd never be able to supplement D, haha, so clearly that isn't going to stop me from trying to raise it.

trew

I had my vitamin D level tested after taking 10,000 iu for a few months thinking it was enough to get my levels in range. But the results came back and I was still deficient. The brand I was using? Healthy Origins.

I then switched to Now Foods and started taking the same dose and just two weeks later my levels were optimal.

raypeatclips

Yes, I have, and thank you, that's a good clip.

I am supplementing D now, because it only makes sense, but I was just looking for clarity on Haidut's comment.

It sounded like he was saying your blood levels of D might not go up if thyroid isn't at a certain level. Not sure what that level would be.

I take t3 and have been taking it for a while, and I might always be hypo, so if I waited for my thyroid to be perfect, I'd never be able to supplement D, haha, so clearly that isn't going to stop me from trying to raise it.

I'm interested in haiduts response too. For what it's worth I have family members that have never even heard of a thyroid before, who eat a "normal" diet of bread, avacados, pufa spread, low protein etc. They were D deficient by the doctors blood test who gave them 800 iu with 1000mg calcium to take daily which has raised their levels into the normal range after several months.

tomisonbottom

I'm interested in haiduts response too. For what it's worth I have family members that have never even heard of a thyroid before, who eat a "normal" diet of bread, avacados, pufa spread, low protein etc. They were D deficient by the doctors blood test who gave them 800 iu with 1000mg calcium to take daily which has raised their levels into the normal range after several months.

That's helpful, thanks!

SneezeStar

I had my vitamin D level tested after taking 10,000 iu for a few months thinking it was enough to get my levels in range. But the results came back and I was still deficient. The brand I was using? Healthy Origins.

I then switched to Now Foods and started taking the same dose and just two weeks later my levels were optimal.

I use healthy origins 10,000 iu pills. 125,000 twice a month-250,000 iu total- taken with a meal of 30-40grams of fat. On this dose my blood level was 83 ngml.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals